Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 1 Average
Think I've decided not to get the Evoque... and get a BMW 3 instead
The Valeter

RE: Think I've decided not to get the Evoque... and get a BMW 3 instead

(29-06-2012 10:25pm)Jonathon555 Wrote:  Bmw 3 series is an awsome car , i could not wait to get rid of my E90 from the day it was delivered.

Bmw's are far too common over here

Yes they are as common as what Ford were 20 years ago.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
29-06-2012 10:43pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EvoqueNorCal

No worries guys. It's clear from the comments posted that most of you are rich and care more about status than anything else. No problem with that, but I'm just in a different situation as I don't have more money than I know what to do with yet and while owning a status symbol and shining your ego, I genuinely admit, can be nice, I'm less of a labels person than most people and am just interested in what makes me happy, not what I think will make me look cool to people watching. That's always nice, but first and foremost my priority is: what is a car that would make me absolutely happy and the 3 series hybrid is it.

This isn't an attack, I'm just stating my viewpoint and hopefully anyone who responds can do so maturely.
30-06-2012 05:05am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chiggy

(30-06-2012 05:05am)EvoqueNorCal Wrote:  No worries guys. It's clear from the comments posted that most of you are rich and care more about status than anything else. No problem with that, but I'm just in a different situation as I don't have more money than I know what to do with yet and while owning a status symbol and shining your ego, I genuinely admit, can be nice, I'm less of a labels person than most people and am just interested in what makes me happy, not what I think will make me look cool to people watching. That's always nice, but first and foremost my priority is: what is a car that would make me absolutely happy and the 3 series hybrid is it.

This isn't an attack, I'm just stating my viewpoint and hopefully anyone who responds can do so maturely.

Its not about status or money symbol or ego. There isn't a $100k difference between the 3 series and the Evoque that resembles a massive difference in status... and you yourself said you are able to afford both. You have to realise that BMW is a much larger "label" than Range Rover. Just because its more common doesn't make it less of a "label".

People don't buy an evoque because they want to see other people stare at their car and feed their ego. Its not a case of "Oh look at me I drive an Evoque, what do you drive that's better than this?" or a case of "My car is way way way better than your car".

An evoque will not define your status. A Ferrari will. An Aston Martin will. A Bentley will. You have to realise the Evoque is the CHEAPEST and SMALLEST Range Rover i.e. its at the cheaper end of the Range Rover "label".

And you want the 3 series hybrid and that's fine. That's not a problem but remember you're professing the greatness of the 3 series on a RR Evoque forum. You're bound to get absolutely bollocked.

I just hope you realise that the people on this forum have bought the car because they absolutely love what it is, the way it drives, the way it looks, the features it has and just genuine passion for the car. Some have chosen it because they couldn't afford a bigger Range Rover like the RRS or the FFRR. I myself absolutely love the RRS and FFRR but I can't afford them so I don't know where money and status and ego comes into it.

Its not about everyone being rich because as I said earlier.... its the cheapest and smallest range rover ever built. A lot of the people that can't afford bigger range rovers have actually bought this so they can have an entry level Range Rover.

Its great that the 3 series suits you better and will make you happier - but then expecting people on a Range Rover Evoque forum to agree with your decision isn't going to happen. We don't expect everyone in the world to find the RRE perfect. But you can't let people's opinions get to you because they're just opinions. All those on the 3 series forums will go ballistic at you for considering the RRE. People on here will go nuts for considering the 3 series. Just pick the car that makes you the happiest and go with that. Its just a forum. You can't make everyone happy.

Evoque Round 2: Fuji Si4 Dynamic - 5dr. Pursuit interior. Dynamic Tech Pack. Adaptive Xenons. 19in Standard Alloy wheels. Twisted Evil
Contrast black roof (to be painted soon). (Previously a Firenze Pure owner - still my favourite colour Wink)
30-06-2012 06:01am
Starflyer

(29-06-2012 04:54am)EvoqueNorCal Wrote:  1. BMW offers a 5% discount off MSRP when taking European Delivery.

Further, the BMW gets almost twice as good MPG -- 40MPG Highway and about 25MPG city.
The following string from BMW's European page.

"So will the savings. You may save up to 7 percent of the retail price - up to $8,580. Those savings may pay for your trip." Note the the "may". At worst, you get a European vacation out of the deal. I wanted to pickup my Evoque in the UK, but they don't offer that service for North American customers.

I don't know much about leasing (never did one). Using your figures, if they are correct, you should go for the BMW if money is the "decider". Disregarding money, I don't think it makes ANY sense to compare an Evoque (AWD) to a BMW sedan. Then again, if you have no use for AWD, another reason to go BMW.

While it doesn't affect me since I'm retired and don't drive that many miles anymore, the extra mileage on a lease is VERY expensive at the end of the lease. If it's true that the Evoque will have a low residual value, I would think it would be worth it to buy the EOL Evoque and sell it yourself, probably for a tidy profit.

I can understand that Range Rover products in general would have lower residuals than BMW since their lots are full of new Sports and other Rover products EXCEPT for Evoque models. Try to find one on a dealer's lot. Check out the used prices for Evoques on the Range Rover website. Currently or a day or so ago, there were only just over 50 (most of them hundreds of miles away) and the asking prices are close to MSRP or higher.

Finally, to paraphrase Thomas Moore, "To pass on an Evoque because the price is too much is something i understand, but to get a BMW Hybrid instead of an Evoque is a sin". Get a real BMW or get a Prius if you need to score with the environmental California chicks.

My Evoque gets 20 MPG city and 27 MPG highway. No where does your 25/40 come anywhere close to double. AND keeping your annual miles under 10K, the total gas savings are going to be peanuts. One of the great mysteries of our time are the Porsche, BMW, and Rolls Royce Hybrids. Unbelievable what some people with get.
30-06-2012 06:40am
omegabob

Lurker chiming in here...

I'm not rich in the least but the Evoque is on my short list of cars that I am considering for my next purchase. IMO, someone who can afford a lease payment of $600-900 yet complaining that other folks are 'rich' = pot-kettle-black.

Also, most well-to-do peeps like to lease their cars (bc they like the idea of getting a new car every 2-3 years), where as most middle class people I know, purchase them new/used with long term monthly payments.

In Philadelphia where I hail from, many people, who are not rich (but should learn to live within their means... don't get me started), seem to drive BMW, Lexus, & Infinity. Granted, they more than likely purchased them used, but still, when one is more worried about purchasing chrome rims on your car, than maintaining their homes, then there are probably some issues about responsibility that should have been taught to them (or maybe they are drug dealers -ha). Basically, everywhere I turn I see BMWs... bored now.

So why is the Evoque on my short list? Because it's highly unqiue, the tech inside is amazing plus I could use extra cargo space (last year I fit a 55" Samsung LED Smart HDTV into my TSX but it wasn't easy -yes, I ended up being one of those jerks that had to remove the item from the box at the curb of the Best Buy). I work hard and I am responsible enough with my money so that one day I'll be able to place a huge downpayment to treat myself to something special (again, if I end up with an Evoque). My last three cars were unique in their own way: 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S, 2004 Mazda RX-8, 2009 Acura TSX (when I purchased the TSX, there were none on the road... now they are everywhere).

Oh, another reason why the Evoque is on my list: its the BEST 4x4 of its group. Whereas sunny California as to deal with rolling blackouts, we on the East Coast have to deal with WINTER. With every car I've previously owned, I've had issues during the winter/snow with ground clearance and handling (and yes, I had snow tires in my garage for winter driving - although they helped, I actually got stuck once in my RX-8 - cries). So the Evoque is also very practical for me. Yeah, I could look at Jeeps or other SUVs, but the Evoque caught my eye (plus have you ever ridden in a Jeep Wrangler... ick ick ick).

Back to you: your comparison of the Evoque to a sports sedan was humorous to moi. They are different types of vehicles. A more fair comparison would be to compare the Audi Q5/7 or BMW X3/5 to the Evoque. What forced me to reply here was you stating that a hybrid gets better gas milage than a US spec'd Evoque. Nooooo??? Really??? Who would have guessed???
http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-epi...smug-alert

You started multiple threads with multiple questions that could have probably been posted in just one or two threads per section (this really mucks up my lurking ability, ya know? But fine, I didn't complain and was dealing with it). Now you decided that the Evoque was not the car for you. So instead of going away quietly and being happy with your potential future purchase, you... wait for it... started yet another thread to gloat about how much your beloved hybrid is better than the Evoque, then throw an indirect hissy fit about rich people (see: pot-kettle-black above). BTW - you forgot to mention that the BMW comes with a sunroof that opens -something the Evoque does not have as well.

Instead of the common BMW, why don't you just get an Aston Martin? It's unique, people will gawk at it when you are at the gas station. Impress your friends! Chat up ladies! Tell them that it's James Bond car! I'm sure dem broads will reciprocate when they hear that! Woohoo!

This isn't an attack. Just stating my viewpoint. Smile

Apologies to anyone who takes offense. Now, I shall go back my lurking... Expelliarmus!
(This post was last modified: 30-06-2012 06:47am by omegabob.)
30-06-2012 06:42am
chiggy

(30-06-2012 06:42am)omegabob Wrote:  Lurker chiming in here...

I'm not rich in the least but the Evoque is on my short list of cars that I am considering for my next purchase. IMO, someone who can afford a lease payment of $600-900 yet complaining that other folks are 'rich' = pot-kettle-black.

Also, most well-to-do peeps like to lease their cars (bc they like the idea of getting a new car every 2-3 years), where as most middle class people I know, purchase them new/used with long term monthly payments.

In Philadelphia where I hail from, many people, who are not rich (but should learn to live within their means... don't get me started), seem to drive BMW, Lexus, & Infinity. Granted, they more than likely purchased them used, but still, when one is more worried about purchasing chrome rims on your car, than maintaining their homes, then there are probably some issues about responsibility that should have been taught to them (or maybe they are drug dealers -ha). Basically, everywhere I turn I see BMWs... bored now.

So why is the Evoque on my short list? Because it's highly unqiue, the tech inside is amazing plus I could use extra cargo space (last year I fit a 55" Samsung LED Smart HDTV into my TSX but it wasn't easy -yes, I ended up being one of those jerks that had to remove the item from the box at the curb of the Best Buy). I work hard and I am responsible enough with my money so that one day I'll be able to place a huge downpayment to treat myself to something special (again, if I end up with an Evoque). My last three cars were unique in their own way: 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S, 2004 Mazda RX-8, 2009 Acura TSX (when I purchased the TSX, there were none on the road... now they are everywhere).

Oh, another reason why the Evoque is on my list: its the BEST 4x4 of its group. Whereas sunny California as to deal with rolling blackouts, we on the East Coast have to deal with WINTER. With every car I've previously owned, I've had issues during the winter/snow with ground clearance and handling (and yes, I had snow tires in my garage for winter driving - although they helped, I actually got stuck once in my RX-8 - cries). So the Evoque is also very practical for me. Yeah, I could look at Jeeps or other SUVs, but the Evoque caught my eye (plus have you ever ridden in a Jeep Wrangler... ick ick ick).

Back to you: your comparison of the Evoque to a sports sedan was humorous to moi. They are different types of vehicles. A more fair comparison would be to compare the Audi Q5/7 or BMW X3/5 to the Evoque. What forced me to reply here was you stating that a hybrid gets better gas milage than a US spec'd Evoque. Nooooo??? Really??? Who would have guessed???
http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-epi...smug-alert

You started multiple threads with multiple questions that could have probably been posted in just one or two threads per section (this really mucks up my lurking ability, ya know? But fine, I didn't complain and was dealing with it). Now you decided that the Evoque was not the car for you. So instead of going away quietly and being happy with your potential future purchase, you... wait for it... started yet another thread to gloat about how much your beloved hybrid is better than the Evoque, then throw an indirect hissy fit about rich people (see: pot-kettle-black above). BTW - you forgot to mention that the BMW comes with a sunroof that opens -something the Evoque does not have as well.

Instead of the common BMW, why don't you just get an Aston Martin? It's unique, people will gawk at it when you are at the gas station. Impress your friends! Chat up ladies! Tell them that it's James Bond car! I'm sure dem broads will reciprocate when they hear that! Woohoo!

This isn't an attack. Just stating my viewpoint. Smile

Apologies to anyone who takes offense. Now, I shall go back my lurking... Expelliarmus!

I like you!

Evoque Round 2: Fuji Si4 Dynamic - 5dr. Pursuit interior. Dynamic Tech Pack. Adaptive Xenons. 19in Standard Alloy wheels. Twisted Evil
Contrast black roof (to be painted soon). (Previously a Firenze Pure owner - still my favourite colour Wink)
30-06-2012 06:58am
jitenc

Got an idea... Let's start a thread in a BMW forum and rant about buying an Evoque instead of the 3 series. Bet the guys in the forum would have no clue about what to compare. Wink

True that the BMW has a superior engine, has a sunroof, etc, etc...but remember that the Evoque is a new comer In the market.... It's still a baby... BMW have a heritage....

Hopefully, it's just a matter of time that the Evoque will catch up......

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
30-06-2012 07:41am
doug

(30-06-2012 06:58am)chiggy Wrote:  I like you!

+1

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
30-06-2012 08:16am
Evo-king

I'm with you folks on here, this is an RRE forum, with someone extolling the virtues of a BMW (nothing wrong with them I've owned several) so it is bound to attract bad vibes/comments.

I bought the Evoque because it was quite simply a revolutionary deign in the SUV/4x4 market. Yes it has it's faults, it's a brand new design, but I love it, my wife loves it (that is very important as we rarely agree on cars).

We could also have gone for the bigger Range Rover, but that's what it is a bigger Range Rover, which is too big for us, hence the RRE.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
30-06-2012 10:33am
LDT

(29-06-2012 09:50pm)The Valeter Wrote:  When we ordered/bought our Evoque we loved the look of it in all aspects that nothing else mattered. It wouldn't have made any difference if there was a BMW/ Audi or anything that offered either more equipment, better fuel ecconomy/ a ot cheaper or whatever it was simply the Evoque or nothing as I had no intention of buying any new car at the time.

+1.

Prestige SD4 Auto, Ipanema/Ambience, Style 4 Wheels, Pan Roof, Privacy, Dimming Mirror, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Spare Wheel, Mud Flaps.
[Image: 116286.png]
30-06-2012 12:08pm