Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2.5 Average
Test drive
paulus599

RE: Test drive

(10-09-2011 06:29pm)Evoqess Wrote:  Kerbing should be a HUGE concern for everybody! I have just refinished x 2 wheels on my Audi TTS (trade in for Evoque) - and as they were what's known as "tricoat" wheels, the repair bill was over $600 (just had to pay a third of this as I had a wear package policy). Yes, large alloys are attractive - but $600 to remove small scratches on a rim Sad
For me, the smoother ride and reduced chance of curb-rash will trump the cosmetic motivation!Wink

I had to do exactly the same with 2 of the wheels on my (ex) TTS after they were curbed by valet parking at Manchester airport Evil
My local wheel refurb centre did the job for £60 per wheel though, so not sure how you could be given a bill for 600 dollars!

SD4 Prestige Coupe Auto, Fuji White, Pano roof, Park assist, Powered tailgate, Style 6 alloys, Element interior, Adaptive Dynamics. Build date: WAS 21/10/2011 Delivered 13/12/2011
Now: Evoque SD4 Coupe
Gone: TTS Roadster
Gone: Mini Cooper S
Gone: Mercedes SLK
11-09-2011 11:27am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Evoqess

At that price I could have scuffed all four lol! Must be my prestigious Audi dealer picking the best refinishers in Canada. I didn't shop around as I was eager to trade the TTS to get November Evoque delivery!
Still think the TTS is one of the most stunning vehicles out there though!

Evoque fan who used to drive Shocked a Pure, Fuji, 19" style 4 alloys, heated everything, rear cam, power tailgate, pan roof, privacy glass etc
12-09-2011 09:05pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I kerbed a 20" at the weekend - today there is an email from LPR with a claim form from the company I took out wheel and tyre insurance with!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2011 10:02pm by XFullFatTim.)
12-09-2011 10:01pm
gomark

(12-09-2011 10:01pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I kerbed a 20" at the weekend - today there is an email from LPR with a claim form from the company I took out wheel and tyre insurance with!

Hi. Have you got any details on the insurance you are referring to?

12-09-2011 10:18pm
XFullFatTim

I'll give you the details by PM during Tuesday gomark

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
12-09-2011 11:32pm
gomark

(12-09-2011 11:32pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I'll give you the details by PM during Tuesday gomark

Thanks !

12-09-2011 11:33pm
Evoqess

Impressive Tim! Just check to see that there are no insurance limits on scuffing repairs. With my Audi policy I had a limit of 2 "incidents" - with the Evoque my insurance consists of 19" and side cameras lol!

Evoque fan who used to drive Shocked a Pure, Fuji, 19" style 4 alloys, heated everything, rear cam, power tailgate, pan roof, privacy glass etc
13-09-2011 06:23am
mark_n

I think the wheel refurbishers are going to do good business from 20" Evoque owners.

It's a wide car, parallel parking will be difficult and, by the sounds of things, there's little or no tyre buffer to protect the rim. Still, I have a car where each of the rear wheels is £1500, so you can imagine how careful I am with those. The good news about the Evoque is that the wheels are not too expensive if you really trash one. I'd steer clear of the shadow rims. Aside from looking dirty all the time, they are more difficult and more expensive to refurbish, and they cost more to start with.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
(This post was last modified: 13-09-2011 07:56am by mark_n.)
13-09-2011 07:55am
XFullFatTim

For those thinking about Wheel and tyre insurance you need to read the exclusions as well as the benefits. Here is my summary of the policy I have:

The policy is provided by AmTrust International

Covers
Tyres - 5 new tyres or repairs allowed in 3 years - £10 excess payable each time
Alloys - covers repairs only - 10 repairs permitted in 36 months or repairs to the value of £1500 inc VAT

I have to notify them within 72 hours of any damage occurring.

Among their Exclusions are - damage caused by using a tyre at an incorrect pressure - I assume that means that if you get a puncture subsequent damage isn't covered.
Chrome finish alloys are excluded as are split rim wheels
Loss or damage due to a road traffic accident, fire or theft.
Where damage is the result of a manufacturing defect or the wheels do not carry the European CE mark so that means many of the aftermarket/ non OEM wheels bought off ebay I imagine
Tyres that are worn below the legal limit at the time of the incident

13-09-2011 09:57am
Daigriff

Tim, I've been offered alloy wheel repair insurance by the dealership (looks like its also underwritten by Amtrust) for £279.00. Is that what you paid?
Anyone got a better quote?

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
13-09-2011 10:20am