Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Still trying to figure factory HID upgrade!
Kugaman1

Hi all,
I know this is an ongoing discussion topic, but all threads seem to fade without ever giving definitive advice.

Ive got halogens on my Evoque. I have now secured some factory HIDS with the fancy signature DRL.

I tried wiring them in. The DRL works perfectly, but the main light doesnt. It flashes on for a second then goes off.
I believe this is because the car thinks the sudden load is a fault and kills the lights.

Therefore, whats the best way ahead?

Is it possible to change the code on the car so that it thinks HIDs are fitted and then this error wont occur?

Or do I need to change the ballasts to canbus ballasts?

Or do I forget the whole thing!!

Any definitive suggestions appreciated! I would love to get this mod working without the massive expense others have paid on here!
It must be possible at a reasonable price!
24-11-2014 04:48pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Still trying to figure factory HID upgrade!

We have a forum member and sponsor who is good at this sort of thing. He hasn't posted in ages but you could PM/Email him for advice. Pete Bell has his own section of the Forum http://babyrr.com/forum/Forum-Bell-Auto-Services - he is well regarded by all who have purchased his bespoke ECU re-maps, but he is also good with other auto electrics.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 24-11-2014 05:10pm by XFullFatTim.)
24-11-2014 05:09pm
Kugaman1

(24-11-2014 05:09pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  We have a forum member and sponsor who is good at this sort of thing. He hasn't posted in ages but you could PM/Email him for advice. Pete Bell has his own section of the Forum http://babyrr.com/forum/Forum-Bell-Auto-Services - he is well regarded by all who have purchased his bespoke ECU re-maps, but he is also good with other auto electrics.

Cheers - hes in Yorkshire, so a long way from me!
24-11-2014 08:23pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Yes I appreciate that but he might be able to tell you if you need to take the car to a dealer or non-franchised Land Rover service outlet to get them enabled or if you need to replace the ballasts rather than you having to take the car to him.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
24-11-2014 09:04pm
Kugaman1

Cheers,
I will send him a pm.

Ideally, i can get it reprogrammed to think it has hids and that will be problem solved!
24-11-2014 09:32pm
jph

Hi Kugaman1
I looked into this also and bought a one hour subscription to topix to read up on it (I'm an electrical engineer). Turns out there are some extra components on the central command board that controls the lighting for oem xenon headlights that are missing on the halogen version control board. It does not appear that these components can be retrofitted. That is why many are going down the path of pulling out the oem hid globes and ballasts to fit aftermarket hid kits to oem xenon headlight they buy on eBay.
Cheers
John
26-11-2014 01:01am
Kugaman1

(26-11-2014 01:01am)jph Wrote:  Hi Kugaman1
I looked into this also and bought a one hour subscription to topix to read up on it (I'm an electrical engineer). Turns out there are some extra components on the central command board that controls the lighting for oem xenon headlights that are missing on the halogen version control board. It does not appear that these components can be retrofitted. That is why many are going down the path of pulling out the oem hid globes and ballasts to fit aftermarket hid kits to oem xenon headlight they buy on eBay.
Cheers
John

Ah OK, thats good to know thanks John!

I think I will look into buying ballasts that will work with the factory HID bulbs. Maybe thats the way ahead.??
26-11-2014 05:32pm
Kugaman1

(26-11-2014 05:32pm)Kugaman1 Wrote:  Ah OK, thats good to know thanks John!

I think I will look into buying ballasts that will work with the factory HID bulbs. Maybe thats the way ahead.??

There are posts in other threads on this subject where a member says he fitted a relay harness to the battery which allowed him to use the factory bulb/ballast.
Anyone any more info on this?

Seems odd that its a popular mod that people would like to do, but no-one has a definitive way as to how it is done!
26-11-2014 08:06pm
bee

totally agree, there does not appear to bee a low cost method to fit the signature headlights.
I don't recon its worth spending £2,000 or so.
I will just stick with the halogens, they are not too bad. Cool

2013 auto sicillian yellow special edition. with all the goodies supplied with this model.
26-11-2014 10:03pm
jph

[Image: 43407cceb79fe3af1dd73e10841f8c38.jpg]

Halogens look nice in the snowSmile
26-11-2014 11:10pm