Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Speed camera data base installed
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Speed camera data base installed

(13-05-2013 04:50pm)eddkawasaki Wrote:  I've not done the full speed camera database but I have downloaded POI's for shell garages from there and succesfully got them in the evoque and they come up with the shell logo too which LR POI's did not.

Edit: beat me to it!

Why Ed, filling stations are already programmed into the system and you can select them from the list of pre-programmed POI's in the menu. They even show which brand but IIRC supermarket forecourts are not shown.

Regarding speed cams, surely it s cheaper and safer to drive at the speed limit for the road you are travelling on, although it amazes me how many people who are given a driving licence appear not to be able to read judging by the number of people that get caught weekly in the village I live in. Not only can they not read the roadside signs that clearly show the speed limit and that there are speed traps but they cannot read the huge writing on the van that is used to carry the mobile cameras! You should all be reading the road and road signs more carefully - it works really well and if you don't know how to tell what the speed limit is on a stretch of road then I highly recommend reading the Highway Code and try taking an IAM driving course and test.

Ducks awaiting incoming flack for being holier than thou! I've been driving since 1982 and have still have a blemish free licence, not even a parking violation!
BTW I enjoy driving as fast as anybody else and don't drive everywhere like a granny - I just do it in the right places and so far haven't been caught!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 13-05-2013 06:40pm by XFullFatTim.)
13-05-2013 06:15pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Davevx

Speed camera data base installed

You may be right Tim

But

It was free and I thought lets have a goWink
13-05-2013 06:30pm
RichardW66

Great post, thank you. One of the features I missed on the Evoque Sat Nav (v the TomTom my wife has in her car) was the ability to warn of camera locations, problem now solved.
Brilliant.

PS Tim you are correct, but I do find when driving in a new location, it always helps to have the reminder about camera locations and speed limits.

My personal opinion but I sometimes wonder if cameras are located for revenue generation or safety (you only have to look at the profusion of cameras along the M40 into London, the traffic crawls most of the time so it would hardly be an accident black spot unless people were reacting to the many cameras along the road).

That said I also have an unblemished license (and have had my license since 1984 so 29 years and no points...)

MY13 TD4 Pure Manual ~ Tech Pack ~ Fuji White ~ Ebony Leather ~ Panoramic Roof ~ Xenons with LED Signature ~ Keyless Entry ~ Reversing Camera ~ Electric Heated Powerfold Mirrors ~ Auto-Dimming Mirror ~ Privacy Glass ~ Front Fog Lights ~ 20" Style 6 Wheels M+S Tyres ~ Twin Exhaust Pipes (like the SD4)
Ordered: 07/03/12 ~ Behind the wheel: 22/11/12
(This post was last modified: 13-05-2013 06:43pm by RichardW66.)
13-05-2013 06:38pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Trapdoor

(13-05-2013 06:15pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Ducks awaiting incoming flack for being holier than thou! I've been driving since 1982 and have still have a blemish free licence, not even a parking violation!

What, a mere whipper-snapper - only 1982?

I've been driving since 1978 and have always had a clean licence.

However, I drive with a speed camera database, especially as

a) sometimes it isn't always easy to determine the speed limit on a road - yes, it SHOULD be, but I bet you have clocked the sign, and then a short time after thought ... wonder what the speed limit is?
b) when you have some c0ck in an Audi all over your bumper, it's easy to drift a bit over the limit
c) when you are following traffic, you tend to 'keep up' as opposed to continually speedo watching

we have a huge stretch of SPECS cameras on the M5 at the moment. Just last week I had a Gregory's (b4stards) truck driver probably no more than 6" off my rear because I was AT the speed limit and he wanted me to go faster. He eventually overtook me in lane 3 FFS!

As a pilot, I 'fly the numbers' and this does tend to rub off onto driving too. However, I also believe that the more information you have about the road ahead (and that includes SAFETY cameras), then the safer you are. How many people have you followed that almost stand on the brakes as soon as that yellow box comes into view, especially if they haven't been alerted to it in advance. And as for the mobile scamera vans.... oft seen parked dangerously or stupidly.

Mrs T's Toyota has speed alerting that yells in a very superior voice "YOU ARE OVER THE SPEED LIMIT" if you drift over by 5mph!! Very entertaining for 5 minutes but it does get it wrong quite often as her database is almost 12 months out of date.

Had: 2013 Prestige Auto Lux
Have: MY17 Autobiography in Waitomo Grey with Ivory/Espresso interior, HUD, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Dynamics, Dynamic Driveline, Wading, Massage Seats. Delivered 17/09/16
(This post was last modified: 13-05-2013 06:49pm by Trapdoor.)
13-05-2013 06:48pm
XFullFatTim

I only passed my test in 1982 as I spent the previous 8 years learning to drive slightly larger and somewhat slower vehicles! My licence with them is also unblemished! Ths sort of big and slow http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emma_Mærsk. Although currently I'm in command of something a bit smaller
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/phot...id=1261309

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 13-05-2013 11:50pm by XFullFatTim.)
13-05-2013 11:45pm
eddkawasaki

(13-05-2013 06:15pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Why Ed, filling stations are already programmed into the system and you can select them from the list of pre-programmed POI's in the menu. They even show which brand but IIRC supermarket forecourts are not shown.

Regarding speed cams, surely it s cheaper and safer to drive at the speed limit for the road you are travelling on, although it amazes me how many people who are given a driving licence appear not to be able to read judging by the number of people that get caught weekly in the village I live in. Not only can they not read the roadside signs that clearly show the speed limit and that there are speed traps but they cannot read the huge writing on the van that is used to carry the mobile cameras! You should all be reading the road and road signs more carefully - it works really well and if you don't know how to tell what the speed limit is on a stretch of road then I highly recommend reading the Highway Code and try taking an IAM driving course and test.

Ducks awaiting incoming flack for being holier than thou! I've been driving since 1982 and have still have a blemish free licence, not even a parking violation!
BTW I enjoy driving as fast as anybody else and don't drive everywhere like a granny - I just do it in the right places and so far haven't been caught!

I uploaded the shell garage database as the one in my car was way out of date when i got it. On our first trip to lancashire the day after we picked up the car I decided to try the sat nav and let it deviate from our journey to take us to the nearest shell garage (wife has a drivers club card so always use them). So after driving through Dunblane to get to the so called "nearest" shell garage we find that it is a Q8 now. Failed! The logo for shell garages has never appeared on screen either BP & some others do though. With it added in my POI they show all the time and we can see which of the motorway service stations are shell garages.

My license is also blemish free without the use of the speed camera database. Tongue Out

SD4 Dynamic Lux, 5 Door, Firenze Red, Ebony Interior, Black headlining, Black Contrast Panoramic Roof, Aeroflip Spoiler, Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel, Adaptive Xenons, TPMS & Spare wheel
Order Date: 14th May 2012
Build date: approx 5th Oct 2012
Delivery Date: Should be 22nd Oct
Actual delivery: 31st Oct

[Image: 151436.png]
14-05-2013 06:33am
XFullFatTim

Edd, I use Shell stations for the same reason but have their app on my iPhone if I need it, hopefully that is even more up to date than the database that you use. Mind you I've never traded in any points whereas if I use BP (no BP stations in this area which is why I don't use them much) I get Nectar points which get used at the next food shop I do!

14-05-2013 09:24am
brianthedog

(14-05-2013 09:24am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Mind you I've never traded in any points

Very glad to hear it.Laughing
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22507000

Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr in Orkney with Ebony, Black Contrast roof
Pan Roof, Premium interior pack, Park Assist, Shadow Chrome Wheels, Roof Rails
15-05-2013 12:25am
cutter7

Shell and BP offices raided..Embarrassed

There has been a dramatic overnight development. EU competition authorities have ‘raided’ the offices of some Oil companies and the office of at least one company that supplies Oil pricing information to the market on suspicion of market manipulation.

This EU investigation offers the hope that we will finally be able to answer the question – have we been systematically ‘ripped off’ over the years or not? At the moment, it’s an investigation and we don’t know what the authorities will find. However, the fact that they have seen fit to launch the investigation shows the urgent need for greater transparency in how the Oil market works. If wrong doing is uncovered, it promises to be as big a scandal as the Banks fixing the LIBOR interest rate..

15-05-2013 09:09am
XFullFatTim

It's taken the EU long enough to think we are all being ripped off, maybe if the Eurocrats had their salaries reduced to the stage where they also felt the financial pinch that us lesser mortals feel these days they might have started earlier!

15-05-2013 09:20am