Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Spare Tyres
Helen3001

Spare Tyres

I've ordered my new Evoque and due for delivery end of October. I am a little confused about a few threads i've been reading about spare tyres - or the lack of them! What do you recommend - the goo system or paying for a space saver? Apparently I am not too late to make some final amends to the spec (changed the colour this week to Colima Lime!!)
25-08-2012 08:00pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
smayo

RE: Spare Tyres

(25-08-2012 08:00pm)Helen3001 Wrote:  I've ordered my new Evoque and due for delivery end of October. I am a little confused about a few threads i've been reading about spare tyres - or the lack of them! What do you recommend - the goo system or paying for a space saver? Apparently I am not too late to make some final amends to the spec (changed the colour this week to Colima Lime!!)

Get the spare!
If you do have a puncture and you have to use the goo, then the tyre is ruined and has to be replaced.
If you have a spare then you can have a repair done.
The saved cost of replacing a tyre ruined by the goo covers the cost of the spare with change.

Ordered 17/2/12 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Mauritius Blue, Pan roof, 20" style 6 (gloss black), Vortex, Ebony Headlining, Ent Pack, Heated St. Wheel, Homelink, Pr Glass, Auto Dim r.view mirror, spare wheel
25-08-2012 08:10pm
Helen3001

(25-08-2012 08:10pm)smayo Wrote:  Get the spare!
If you do have a puncture and you have to use the goo, then the tyre is ruined and has to be replaced.
If you have a spare then you can have a repair done.
The saved cost of replacing a tyre ruined by the goo covers the cost of the spare with change.

Thanks for this. Any idea of cost?
25-08-2012 08:12pm
smayo

(25-08-2012 08:12pm)Helen3001 Wrote:  Thanks for this. Any idea of cost?

The spare is £120 if you get it in your order in time or about £300 if not and you choose to get your dealer to source all the parts.
Replacment tyres are likely to set you back over £200 each.

Ordered 17/2/12 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Mauritius Blue, Pan roof, 20" style 6 (gloss black), Vortex, Ebony Headlining, Ent Pack, Heated St. Wheel, Homelink, Pr Glass, Auto Dim r.view mirror, spare wheel
25-08-2012 08:15pm
rvsvet

(25-08-2012 08:00pm)Helen3001 Wrote:  I've ordered my new Evoque and due for delivery end of October. I am a little confused about a few threads i've been reading about spare tyres - or the lack of them! What do you recommend - the goo system or paying for a space saver? Apparently I am not too late to make some final amends to the spec (changed the colour this week to Colima Lime!!)

In another thread, someone has pointed out that the difference in cost between a tyre repair and a tyre replacement is more than £120, (the cost of the spare wheel) therefore the spacesaver spare wheel will pay for itself when you suffer your 1st puncture. Additional considerations are:
that to opt for the spacesaver as a dealer supplied accessory after you have purchased the car will cost close to £400, so its worth paying £120 pre delivery.
If you suffer a side wall tear, the can of goo cannot fix this, so you are stranded until LR Assist can reach you.

SD4 5 dr Dynamic Auto in OG with verve interior, Shadow Chrome style 7 alloys, Pano roof, privacy glass and spare wheel. Collected 25th May. 900 miles driven in 1st month.
25-08-2012 08:16pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Sorry I don't get the logic of using a spacesaver, surely they are only designed to run for 50 miles at a maximum of 50mph before they have to be replaced so where is the saving over using goo?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
25-08-2012 09:01pm
PhilSkill

And with the water based Slime product the Tyre can be repaired, but without the spare a really major tear will leave you on a tow truck.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
25-08-2012 09:09pm
IKM

Hedge your bets, carry the spare (minor cost after all in comparison to car), and also carry a can or two of slime plus valve remover. If space is your major driver then buy a Freelander or Disco etc.

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
25-08-2012 09:20pm
Snakehips

Where does the spare actually stow away? Under the boot?
29-08-2012 09:15pm
Griff449

Yes in the compartment that's been designed for those builds getting the spare

Had a Pure TD4, Fuji White - now have Dynamic SD4, Fuji White 9 Speed auto with Verve Interior - let the new project begin!
29-08-2012 09:17pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply