Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Smart Key Battery Low
B_o_b_o

RE: Smart Key Battery Low

(27-09-2014 04:29pm)Bodlyfunctions Wrote:  Now I know it sounds silly but apparently there are different 'grades' of CR2032 battery.
LR resolved my issue by just putting in one of 'their recommended batteries'. Looked exactly the same as the one I put in, but when held between my fingers, theirs was noticibly thicker - and works fine. Chap at parts department mentioned he has seen this happen before with other makes of fobs also.
Anyhoo. Mine all working fine again now!

Thumbs Up
27-09-2014 05:11pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JimWooly

I don't believe that there are different grades of CR2032 batteries just 'New' ones and 'Old' ones. All batteries have a shelf life and from the moment they are manufactured they start to discharge, some types more than others dependant upon the construction of the battery.
In the case of CR2032 batteries (and CR2025, CR2016 etc) the 'C' denotes it is a Lithium battery, the 'R' denotes it is round while the 20 means it is 20 millimetres in diameter and the 32 equates to 3.2 millimetres in thickness.

[Image: 298252.png]
27-09-2014 06:17pm
Bodlyfunctions

Only if I had kept my 'non-working' one. I could have posted it to you and you could have checked it on a micrometer to prove your point.
Either way' my 'new' (as in bought from Sainsburys in a sealed pack last week new), didn't work, as his new one did.
Anyhoo, works now!
28-09-2014 03:34pm
bangsters

Those batteries have tendencies to be DOA from my experience. I ordered like 10 batteries for another car a while back, and almost half of them did not work. I think I threw out 4 of the batteries as they didn't work.

Also, when I my inlaw brought their car to the dealer to have the battery on their keyfob replaced, it worked for a day, then stopped working as well. When I replaced it with one of the batteries I bought it worked.

I believe this battery can be a hit or miss. Some probably are stocking old batteries that are already drained or something.

2014 Ipanema Sand Pure Plus. Mods to follow....
Images hosted on PixelsBin
28-09-2014 03:46pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JimWooly

(28-09-2014 03:34pm)Bodlyfunctions Wrote:  Only if I had kept my 'non-working' one. I could have posted it to you and you could have checked it on a micrometer to prove your point.
Either way' my 'new' (as in bought from Sainsburys in a sealed pack last week new), didn't work, as his new one did.
Anyhoo, works now!

I'm pleased that you now have a fully working smartkey but I do not need to prove my point as I didn't have one only an opinion and some facts about CR2032 batteries that are covered by an international standard (IEC standard 60086) which can easily be checked via Google RE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CR2032_battery

[Image: 298252.png]
28-09-2014 10:08pm
Sarcastrix

(28-09-2014 03:46pm)bangsters Wrote:  Those batteries have tendencies to be DOA from my experience. I ordered like 10 batteries for another car a while back, and almost half of them did not work. I think I threw out 4 of the batteries as they didn't work.

I believe this battery can be a hit or miss. Some probably are stocking old batteries that are already drained or something.

THIS! I've done the same, purchased a 10 pack on Amazon and several have been DOA or have quickly drained, saying that the one in Evoque fob has been okay since I changed it last month.

Reading the amazon reviews of the batteries DOA's are quite common.

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
29-09-2014 08:46am
abcya

I got the warning a few weeks ago. I went to the dealer's service centre and they replaced it on the spot for no charge. No 'contact' with the car made, so the above comments about resetting stuff don't ring true for me.

Firenze red Dynamic 5-door with Verve interior and pano roof
30-09-2014 09:05pm
gw76

£1.04 off ebay Duracell free P+p, worked perfectly, changed 4 days after warning came up, no problems
used youtube battery change video
11-10-2014 12:44pm
Donny Dog

(26-09-2014 06:14pm)Bodlyfunctions Wrote:  Swapped to my previously unused spare today just in case my new battery was faulty.
Warning still there with this key too!
Called dealer. Going in tomorrow

Exactly the same thing happened to me today, and the batteries are bothLR supplied. I think it may be another aspect of the 'smart key not recognised' glitch I suffered again recently.

(27-09-2014 04:29pm)Bodlyfunctions Wrote:  Now I know it sounds silly but apparently there are different 'grades' of CR2032 battery.
LR resolved my issue by just putting in one of 'their recommended batteries'. Looked exactly the same as the one I put in, but when held between my fingers, theirs was noticibly thicker - and works fine. Chap at parts department mentioned he has seen this happen before with other makes of fobs also.
Anyhoo. Mine all working fine again now!

Surely the unused one from your other key was original manufacturer's though??
(This post was last modified: 21-10-2014 02:18pm by Donny Dog.)
21-10-2014 02:17pm
Sarcastrix

(29-09-2014 08:46am)Sarcastrix Wrote:  THIS! I've done the same, purchased a 10 pack on Amazon and several have been DOA or have quickly drained, saying that the one in Evoque fob has been okay since I changed it last month.

Reading the amazon reviews of the batteries DOA's are quite common.

Time for another battery.

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
05-10-2016 07:54am