Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Short journey/ low mileage
JM40

Short journey/ low mileage

I'm considering buying a used evoque - already had a test drive and i'm virtually sold ...BUT one issue that i keep reading about are Diesel DPF issues. I only drive 4k - 5k miles a year and mainly very short journeys under 2 miles mon-friday and slightly longer at weekends. Motorways about once a month.
I'm concerned I'll have issues with the DPF filter - does anyone else do as low mileage and very short journeys and what are their experiences?
I have consider a petrol evoque as well - but concerned the short journeys will kill the mpg.

Currently own a golf gti dsg gearbox which does drink fuel as well on the short runs.

Cheers

Jon
08-05-2016 07:13am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Short journey/ low mileage

The problem with diesels is that they perform best when fully warmed up and running at steady RPM - conditions that you are unlikely to achieve with your journey patterns. I would go as far as to say that your mpg on a diesel would be similar to the petrol engine and could be worse.................. And you WILL have problems with the DPF as LR recommends weekly 20mile high speed runs to force the DPF regeneration programme to work. Sounds like you are a prime candidate for an electric car with your daily "commute" and something small and sporty for the weekends while the electric one recharges. Even the cheapest ZEVs can now do 140-160 miles per charge and can do 80% recharges in an hour.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2016 08:08am by XFullFatTim.)
08-05-2016 08:05am
Jeroma

If You have some money to spend check the VOLVO Twin engine series.... front petrol rear electric.
My son is getting soon his XC90 Twin Engine all together around 430HP and in his area highly subsidized
Battery pack where the drive tunnel was supposed to be, so a perfect weight distribution. Does 30 miles on electric, but switches over auto and reloads at the same time.
One of the best on the market, and you need only 1 car

Evoque MY2014 ED4 Pure Tech in Aintree Green - Almond/Expresso, priv. glass, rear camera etc...
other cars in house: Renault Megane CC
1960 Triumph TR3A in BRG - on Webers
1970 Triumph TR6PI in jasmine on EFI
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2016 10:29am by Jeroma.)
08-05-2016 10:27am
Donny Dog

(08-05-2016 07:13am)JM40 Wrote:  I'm considering buying a used evoque - already had a test drive and i'm virtually sold ...BUT one issue that i keep reading about are Diesel DPF issues. I only drive 4k - 5k miles a year and mainly very short journeys under 2 miles mon-friday and slightly longer at weekends. Motorways about once a month.
I'm concerned I'll have issues with the DPF filter - does anyone else do as low mileage and very short journeys and what are their experiences?
I have consider a petrol evoque as well - but concerned the short journeys will kill the mpg.

Currently own a golf gti dsg gearbox which does drink fuel as well on the short runs.

Cheers

Jon

My wife does this sort of mileage in her diesel Evoque (SD4) and has had no problems. Also, despite my pessimistic expectations, it warms up more quickly and achieves 'normal' (not great) fuel consumption than my petrol car, hampered as that is by the delay in achieving 'normal' consumption due to the catalyser warming up. Whether it's the very occasional long run (less than once a month) that prevent problems, I don't know, but the car certainly doesn't do the recommended cycle of journeys.
10-05-2016 09:10am
Steve D

As above. My wife did similar trips with an occasional 6/7 mile trip and has had no problems.

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
10-05-2016 10:08am
Jkay

From what I understand

The regen takes place when the vehicle travels at more than 40mph for over 20 minutes after reaching normal operating temperature.

The vehicle would need to be travelling in excess of 40mph due to the temperature that is reached when carrying out the regeneration.

Generally the vehicle will carry out the regeneration procedure during the course of normal driving when the vehicle has reached normal operating temperatures and exceeds the required speed. However, should you find that the DPF warning light illuminates, it is advised to make a specific journey where you allow the vehicle to reach normal operating temperatures, then conduct a journey for 20 minutes minimum, maintaining a speed of over 40mph to clear the DPF.

Obviously vehicles being used in built up areas where the vehicle is often travelling at low speeds, you are more likely to experiencing the DPF warning light, which gives the driver the opportunity to then conduct the regeneration procedure.

The speed is mentioned and quoted as it is relation to the air flow across the vehicle which allows the regeneration to be carried out at the high temperatures in a safe environment. LR specifies a speed as due to the range of speeds in various gears, as well as driving styles, it makes it a clearer indication plus drivers tend to feel more comfortable monitoring their speed than any other condition.
10-05-2016 11:43am
Steve D

Offhand, I can't recall seeing anyone having problems with the DPF light.

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
10-05-2016 12:08pm
Good shot

(10-05-2016 12:08pm)Steve D Wrote:  Offhand, I can't recall seeing anyone having problems with the DPF light.

23k mixed distances - never seen dpf light or smelt / felt regeneration going on.

Last 2013 SD4 Auto, Prestige, Pano, Firenze Red. Loving the USB shuffle.
10-05-2016 04:55pm
JM40

Thanks for the replies. As i'm considering a used model does anyone know how many miles before a DPF does a regen? Could it be that new cars don't have any issues for the first 20k miles but then the regen is needed?

If so ... buying a used model could be more likely to have DPF issues the higher the mileage?

The models i've been looking at have approx 20k miles on. Is there any way to check the DPF filter prior to purchase, is this included in a main dealer used car check?

Thanks

Jon.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2016 07:25pm by JM40.)
10-05-2016 07:25pm
Steve D

No way to check them as far as I know. Ours had 20.5K on the clock when we bought it.

10-05-2016 08:09pm