Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Scraping noise
Nowaytk

Scraping noise

Has anyone experienced this noise, when going over the larger speed bumps ( at a relatively normal speed 10 mph ish ). It sounds like the sort of noise you get when you scrape the front valence.
When it first happened I thought NOOOOO! The front can't be that low, but on closer inspection not a single mark. I have since been doing a bit of experimenting & have found out using speed cushions that the noise comes from the off-side front, poss something to do with the suspension?

evoque now gone, but not forgotten, on to bigger and better things
01-05-2012 05:13pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
zambiaman

RE: Scraping noise

Hi I have a similar issue - check the thread on suspension. Is it more of a sound coming from the rear suspension? Do u have the adaptive dynamics on the car?

Arrow SD4 5dr Dynamic
Adaptive Dynamics, Pano roof, 20" style 6, blind spot, power tailgate
Cyprus based
01-05-2012 05:45pm
Ranger4

I think I might have had that for the first time today from my nearside rear. Sounded as if a piece of debris was trapped between the wheel arch and the wheel for about 3-4 seconds. On inspection afterwards, could not see anything unusual - strange!

5 door, SD4 Auto, Dynamic LUX, Orkney Grey, Verve Interior, Ebony Headlining, Privacy Glass, Spare Wheel......
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2012 09:47pm by Ranger4.)
01-05-2012 05:52pm
alibeau

Oh, well how daft do I feel now reading this?

My car has had a scraping noise when going over speed bumps since I got it, I presumed it was the mud flaps as Hubby had a similar problem on one of his previous cars after he had mudflaps fitted?? Whistle

Ali.

Black Dynamic Si4 - gone but not forgotten.
01-05-2012 06:11pm
Nowaytk

(01-05-2012 05:45pm)zambiaman Wrote:  Hi I have a similar issue - check the thread on suspension. Is it more of a sound coming from the rear suspension? Do u have the adaptive dynamics on the car?

It depends where you sat, in the drivers seat it sounds like the front offside, yet you sit in the front passenger seat it sounds more like the rear.
I've now got it into the dealers & have just told me that they are going to change the front offside strut, so I'll have to see if that cures it
I do have the adaptive dynamics but I know it's nothing to do with that as I have two other family members with mor or less the same car & theirs don't do it
(01-05-2012 06:11pm)alibeau Wrote:  Oh, well how daft do I feel now reading this?

My car has had a scraping noise when going over speed bumps since I got it, I presumed it was the mud flaps as Hubby had a similar problem on one of his previous cars after he had mudflaps fitted?? Whistle

Ali.

Don't feel daft, as it does also sound like it could be a wheel touching a mud flap

(This post was last modified: 01-05-2012 06:32pm by Nowaytk.)
01-05-2012 06:25pm
Nowaytk

Just heard from the dealer, they changed the front strut which didn't make a blind bit of difference.
All they can do now is what's called a sound bite, which means actually recording the noise & sending it off with any other info they have to LR,
No car for another day Sad

02-05-2012 03:24pm
Griff449

I get the same noise on my new Freelander 2 I know its not the same vehicle but deffo the same noise going over speed bumps..............

Had a Pure TD4, Fuji White - now have Dynamic SD4, Fuji White 9 Speed auto with Verve Interior - let the new project begin!
02-05-2012 03:37pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

When you get this noise is the steering on full lock too?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
02-05-2012 04:41pm
David-H.

Hi all.

Yes, I've got the same noise when going over speed bumps. To me it sounds like it's coming from the rear of the car.

To be honest, I hadn't given it much thought until I read this thread.

David.

Dynamic Coupe SD4 manual, Orkney Grey, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass & 20" Chrome Shadow Alloys.

Other drives - Suzuki Jimny - lifted 2 " (Offroad toy)
BMW Mini John Cooper Works.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2012 04:43pm by David-H..)
02-05-2012 04:42pm
Nowaytk

(02-05-2012 04:41pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  When you get this noise is the steering on full lock too?

No just when i go over the larger/steeper speed bumps
(02-05-2012 04:42pm)David-H. Wrote:  Hi all.

Yes, I've got the same noise when going over speed bumps. To me it sounds like it's coming from the rear of the car.

To be honest, I hadn't given it much thought until I read this thread.

David.

If I sit in the passenger seat it does sometimes sounds like it comes from the rear, but defo from the front offside when in the drivers

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2012 04:51pm by Nowaytk.)
02-05-2012 04:47pm