Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
SD4 Auto Gearbox will not shift in 6th gear until i reach 95km/h(59mph)
hondafreak

Hi
I have my SD4 with auto transmission since 11th August and i am very happy with it.
There are two issues that should and could be improved:

In automatic mode the transmission will shift to 6th gear only when i reach speeds above 95km/h(59mph) and will shift down to the 5th gear as soon i go under 85km/h(53mph)
. I think thats not economical because this car can be easy driven with the 6th gear with on lower speeds when i use the paddle shifter in S mode.

That means if i want to drive Sporty i should use the automatic and if i want drive economical i should choose the gears manually. i think it should be vice versa.

What kind of experiences do you have? is there a software update the corrects this?

Greetings from Switzerland
Simon

Never had one issue yet...very reliable car!

Fuji White, 5dr Prestige SD4 - Auto, Shadow Chrome 20" Style 7 Wheels, Winter Pack, Ambiance-Oxford
leather interior (ivory-espresso color),Rear Camera Parking Aid, Power Tailgate
08-10-2012 07:08am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: SD4 Auto Gearbox will not shift in 6th gear until i reach 95km/h(59mph)

Simon if you use S mode your car should only shift into 6th if you manually shift with the paddles, if you shift the rotary selector to D it should shift up to 6th automatically at around 2-2200RPM when revs will drop to about 1500. You can manually shift into 6th above about 50mph. If you leave the car in D and manaully upshift with paddle at 2200rpm then the car will learn that too. The gearbox is an "adaptive" one and learns your driving style - most annoying when the car has been in for a service and the battery has been disconnected as the adaptive memory gets lost and you have to teach it again!
If it will not drive as you want it to then get it to a dealership and get them to try disconnecting the battery to reset the gearbox ECU

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2012 09:22am by XFullFatTim.)
08-10-2012 09:18am
Izzy

A lower rpm does not always equate to better mpg. In fact, "lugging" a gear gives worse mpg. I think the Evoque actually holds on to a higher gear a tad too long(sometimes keeping it at around 1100-1200 rpm). However, to answer your question, a tune would allow you to change the shift points. I'm not sure I buy into the whole "the vehicle learns your driving style" sales pitch IN REGARDS to shift points.
08-10-2012 02:41pm
rhysadams

Anyone find there gearbox clunky on the Auto?

Arrived!!!: Range Rover Evoque SD4 Auto Dynamic Lux plus Privacy Glass and Premium Mats. Firenze Red, Black Roof and Style 6 Alloys, Dealer painted Black! DELIVERED: 14th September 2012 by Farnells Bradford.
08-10-2012 10:46pm
Izzy

Define clunky. I find it too slow to respond to changes(especially downshifts)
08-10-2012 10:55pm
Barneyridge

Simon, mine changes at 92 kph, and whilst the gear box is adaptive, it has not learnt my behaviour. I find it easier to just hit the paddle a change it myself

Pure TD4, Fiji, Auto, Pan Roof + Extras - Delivered Very Happy
09-10-2012 11:04am