Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Running in
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Running in

Well in September2011 I drove my Evoqueout of Dukes Road, London W3 straight onto the A40, M40, M42, M6, M74, M73, M8, M9 and A811 through the whole of England and 50% of the length of Scotland sat at 70 with bits faster and lots of people slowing me just to look at the first Evoque they had seen on the roads (it was after all the day after launch!) and the car has run beautifully smoothly since, consumes no oil between services and has lovely progressive brakes. 70mph in 6th gear in the SD4 Auto is 1800rpm and even new the car was happy to cruise at that for 8 hours with only a couple of 15 minute breaks.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 27-04-2013 05:11pm by XFullFatTim.)
27-04-2013 05:10pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

I reckon thats far better than crawling and idling a lot initially Tim

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
27-04-2013 11:56pm
scrannel

Current thinking is: you have about one hundred or less miles to do it right or not. Of course, don't labor -- but DO kick its ass. Some lively runs to red line are best. Do a search, you'll see. When I bought my first E-Type Jag (a kid in college) an old Brit staggered out of the service department (reeking of unblended, of course), winked and said: "Kid, remember: fast break-in, fast car!" Today, the science has proved him right.

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
28-04-2013 07:00pm
speary

That's interesting as every car I have bought new the manual states don't use max revs or max load for the first 1000 miles or so and I suspect that every other new car states the same or similar

What I am sure of is that none of them say "take it out of the box and screw the backside off it for the first 1000 miles"

To be honest following the manual is no great problem as only using 75% for a few miles can still be fun, after all where can you drive at 100% on the public roads

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
28-04-2013 08:57pm
cjfp

(28-04-2013 07:00pm)scrannel Wrote:  Current thinking is: you have about one hundred or less miles to do it right or not. Of course, don't labor -- but DO kick its ass. Some lively runs to red line are best. Do a search, you'll see. When I bought my first E-Type Jag (a kid in college) an old Brit staggered out of the service department (reeking of unblended, of course), winked and said: "Kid, remember: fast break-in, fast car!" Today, the science has proved him right.

Same with sports motorbikes.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
28-04-2013 09:13pm
speary

(28-04-2013 09:13pm)cjfp Wrote:  Same with sports motorbikes.

I agree with the principal that if you dont run it in you will potentially get a quicker car/bike.
I think the reason is that red lining a new engine will cause early accelerated wear which will give a looser engine which will rev more freely and therefore feel quicker. As a consequence more oil will get up the bores and inrease oil consumption but will keep the cylinder well lubricated.
This probably isnt too much of a problem in the short term but ultimately the engine will not last nearly as long as a run in engine and I would put money on the power being down if you dynoed it after say 20,000 miles or so
Maybe you guys dont keep your vehicles long enough to matter, but some of us do

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
29-04-2013 08:31am
PhilSkill

(29-04-2013 08:31am)speary Wrote:  I agree with the principal that if you dont run it in you will potentially get a quicker car/bike.
I think the reason is that red lining a new engine will cause early accelerated wear which will give a looser engine which will rev more freely and therefore feel quicker. As a consequence more oil will get up the bores and inrease oil consumption but will keep the cylinder well lubricated.
This probably isnt too much of a problem in the short term but ultimately the engine will not last nearly as long as a run in engine and I would put money on the power being down if you dynoed it after say 20,000 miles or so
Maybe you guys dont keep your vehicles long enough to matter, but some of us do

Agreed, you rev the nuts of a race car/bike which you intend to rebuild in a short period anyway, but a road car take it easy, drive it sensibly through the normal rev ranges, it should last for many many years.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
29-04-2013 01:11pm
doug

(28-04-2013 07:00pm)scrannel Wrote:  Current thinking is: you have about one hundred or less miles to do it right or not. Of course, don't labor -- but DO kick its ass.

That's why hire cars go so much faster Smile

Question on 5th gear once, what's the fastest car?
Answer, a hire car.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
29-04-2013 04:27pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I was always told the fastest car was white van man's Astramax van!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
29-04-2013 10:51pm
PhilSkill

The Merc sprinter van has to take the top spot for me!

29-04-2013 11:06pm