Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Roofrails
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Roofrails

Having seen several Evoques and Coupes in the last week with roofrails I've taken the plunge and asked LPR to fit Gloss Black rails and supply cross bars while the have the car in for service/ parking. Doing this means I can sell my Ivor Williams trailer and put the car in the garage instead. Hope I've done the right thing!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2012 07:04pm by XFullFatTim.)
02-09-2012 02:08pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
o3zone

RE: Roofrails

I'm sure it will look good. Pictures please though!
13-09-2012 06:44am
pureevoque

It will, I'm biased but think the roof bars improve the look greatly

ed4 Pure 5 Dr, Fuji, Xenons, Front Fogs, Power mirrors & tailgate, 20" Style 6. Ordered 290611 Delivered 090312
13-09-2012 02:23pm
XFullFatTim

Here some just taken, with the crossbars on

[Image: file-26.jpg]

[Image: file-25.jpg]

[Image: file-24.jpg]

[Image: file-23.jpg]

One thing I can say - the rails and crossbars are silent at speed, however I have just been to Halfords to get a bike carrier and the sales guy told me to keep things silent that I should not totally remove the rubber fillet but to cut it where the carrier will be secured to the crossbars otherwise it will become quite noisy with the bike carrier on the roof. I haven't taken the crossbars off as I don't appear to be paying any fuel consumption penalty - again today I got 42mpg on my run to/from town.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 13-09-2012 05:44pm by XFullFatTim.)
13-09-2012 05:36pm
cutter7

Roofrails

Tim,
If your happy to leave them on then do so..I have fitted my cross bars a number of times and they are a right pain to remove and install.

By the way did LPR tell you that there are location holes on the inner sides of the rails for front and rear? I wasn't told this by my dealer! and spent a good 1/2 hour trying to work out why the bolts wouldn't engage..

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 13-09-2012 07:00pm by cutter7.)
13-09-2012 06:56pm
XFullFatTim

Cutter, no they didn't mention those location holes. There's an odd shaped tool in the cross bar storage bag, what is it for?

13-09-2012 07:03pm
cutter7

Roofrails

It's for tightening the bolts under the key flaps into the rails. ( the location holes)

The other thing to remember is that the plastic key flap covers are different front to rear for fixing onto the bars.

so I have marked mine front or rear (underneath) if ever I should get them mixed up.. which to be honest I have done x2!..

(This post was last modified: 13-09-2012 07:26pm by cutter7.)
13-09-2012 07:15pm
XFullFatTim

One reason for not taking them off is because it has been so wet up here I haven't had a spell long enough. I wanted to mark the F & R with an indelible pen or paint marker, and also marke where on the rails they go for the roof box.
Was impressed with the Thule bike carrier that Halfords stock but at £92 it can wait until next month's pay check!

(This post was last modified: 13-09-2012 07:24pm by XFullFatTim.)
13-09-2012 07:24pm
cutter7

Roofrails

Once you have removed them you will see these location holes easily on the inner rails.

I just put masking tape under each plastic key cover to indicate F or R

(13-09-2012 07:24pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  One reason for not taking them off is because it has been so wet up here I haven't had a spell long enough. I wanted to mark the F & R with an indelible pen or paint marker, and also marke where on the rails they go for the roof box.
Was impressed with the Thule bike carrier that Halfords stock but at £92 it can wait until next month's pay check!

Yes they are very good, in fact bloody perfect for the job! I loaded mine with 3 big mountain bikes, and the rack was still solid on the towbar carrying that weight, when I took them of at Pitlochry

[Image: 4a7edu2e.jpg]
[Image: guhenaqe.jpg]
[Image: ra8emeje.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 13-09-2012 08:08pm by cutter7.)
13-09-2012 07:29pm
ChuckieB

(13-09-2012 07:15pm)cutter7 Wrote:  It's for tightening the bolts under the key flaps into the rails. ( the location holes)

The other thing to remember is that the plastic key flap covers are different front to rear for fixing onto the bars.

so I have marked mine front or rear (underneath) if ever I should get them mixed up.. which to be honest I have done x2!..

The covers are actually handed left and right side with an image on the inside (underside) to show which is which. So you shouldn't be needing to mark them. Strange that they are handed as you wouldn't guess to look at them.

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
13-09-2012 10:18pm