Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ride quality with 20" wheels
MarkA_

(17-03-2014 11:09pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I ran my last Evoque on 20's in the summer and 19's with Ice and snow tyres in the winter. Even with Magneride I noticed a difference in ride comfort but there was a much more noticeable reduction in tyre noise between running 20" Continentals and 19" Pirelli's with the Pirelli's being very much quieter

It will be interesting to hear what you have to say about the road noise on the black pack 20" michelins compared to the old contis - If you ever get yours Smile

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
17-03-2014 11:45pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bodlyfunctions

RE: Ride quality with 20" wheels

Have had my RRE for 2 years now and have the style 6 20" for summer and some FL2 17's with winter tyres on for, well... Winter obviously!
Except for a teeny tiny bit more bounce in the colder months, if I were to do a blind drive not knowing which set were on it, I really couldn't tell the difference - except in cost to replace them of course! I drive on various different styles of roads from farm tracks in Yorkshire to the busy streets of our city. No major difference at all.
Obviously, all just a personal observation of course.
(This post was last modified: 18-03-2014 12:15am by Bodlyfunctions.)
18-03-2014 12:14am
Hotwheelsvespa

Thanks for the replys, I was planning on keeping the standard rims and putting winter tyres on them, love the look of the 20's but if the ride was really harsh would prob have gone for 19"
18-03-2014 12:20am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Evoque's standard suspension was originally designed to be able to ride and handle well on all the OEM wheels. LR never used to design their cars to handle wheels bigger than 19" and even wrote it in the owner's manual that fitting anything larger would invalidate drive train/ suspension component warraanty - they then found that people wanted to fit bigger wheels at the expense of offroad handling and regardless of the fact that warranties were invalidated so they engineered cars since 2008 to take 20" wheels as standard and now you can even spec up to 22" wheels with factory approval on your RRS2 and New FFRR - they have re-engineered steering and suspension systems to be able to handle the extra loadings these bigger wheels put on the systems. Interesting that Top Gear's FFRR TDv6 was specced with 22" optional extra wheels and they have found that it rides and handles way better on 19's and have changed to them permanently

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 18-03-2014 12:30am by XFullFatTim.)
18-03-2014 12:28am
timhum

I've recently tested a RR Sport on 22inch rims and the ride over bumps such as road repairs, etc seemed quite jarring; the ride on smooth tarmac was fine. I was quite interested in buying one until being told that the waiting list is close to one year, not acceptable in my book.

Tim
Evoque SD4 Pure Tech, Auto, Orkney, Panoramic roof, dipping and folding mirrors
18-03-2014 01:58pm
Stevemac1

I find the ride on the firm side, but most noticeable is the road noise. Can get quite loud and boomy on certain surfaces at higher speeds. That said, I had the dealers Dynamic 5 door out for a while, that seemed quieter, not sure if it was the different body style or the different tyre brand they had on it ( mine are the Contis)

Evoque SD4 Dynamic Coupe - Santorini black, 20" shadow cromes, privacy glass, pano roof. Cool complete with creaky tailgate and many rattles Mad
19-03-2014 04:31pm
PhilSkill

I have 3 sets, 19" conti's, 19" Pirelli's and 20" Conti's and I do notice the Conti's are a bit more Boomy, my replacement Summer tyre would definitely be the Pirelli's, if I ever need new tyres Laughing

Was in the LR dealer today and noticed they had a display stand for LR Approved Vredestien Winter Tyres.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
19-03-2014 06:38pm
CSJ

I know we have no choice over the tyres that come with the car but my first evoque had 20 inch continentals and my current evoque came with 20 inch pirellis

For me there is a huge difference between these tyres on the evoque as I find both the road noise and ride comfort vastly better on the pirellis

On order: Volvo XC60 T5 Inscription Pro

Current: Porsche Macan, Pebble Interior, Volcano Grey, Bose, other extras which cost lots and should be standard

Gone:
BMW X6 m diesel with BMW exclusive interior
Evoque Dynamic Orkney, Accolade Dynamic Plus Sports Interior (Ivory)
Evoque. Coupe, Dynamic, Fuji, Pursuit (x2)
Scirocco 2.0 GT DSG, Black, Black Lthr, 19" Luganos
TT Mk 2, Grey, Audi Exclusive Int
SLK Mk 2, Blk, Beige Lthr
TT Mk 1, Blue, Silver Lthr
TT Mk 1, Silver, Grey Lthr
19-03-2014 07:30pm
m_101

I'm intending on changing to the pirellis as I drove an SD4 coupe with them on and found them much quieter and ever so slightly better riding than the contis. Plus the scorpion verdes have a rim protection ridge which the contis don't - important if the wife is going to drive it!

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
19-03-2014 07:30pm
MarkA_

Anyone has any experience with the 20" Michelins? Ride quality and noise levels?

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
19-03-2014 08:49pm