Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
Real world mpg
The Valeter

RE: Real world mpg

(03-05-2012 04:16pm)sethor Wrote:  For Si4 owners what fuels are you using? from past experience using Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate can have about 10% better mileage over 95 RON fuels. Even between V-Power & Ultimate my last car got about 30-40kms more per tank using V-Power, I'm going to trial a few tanks of each to see which fuel gives best mileage.

I filled up with normal Shell before we left but that is mainly because Shell is regarded as good & I get points but when we left Liverpool I drove round for ages (near the Runcorn Bridge area) & could't find a garage then used Asda fuel - no difference in the consumption.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
03-05-2012 05:29pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
doug

I know we are all a bit unhappy with the MPG we are getting, as there nothing like the LR figures. But isn't this the case with all makes & models.
I had a Ford Kuga to dive today. its not in a par with the Evoque by any means, but is the same size vehicle so i thought i would post my MPG.
Ford figures are 47MPG, the best i could get after driving 300+miles on A & B roads was 36MPG

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
03-05-2012 08:00pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Straydox

(03-05-2012 08:00pm)doug Wrote:  I know we are all a bit unhappy with the MPG we are getting, as there nothing like the LR figures. But isn't this the case with all makes & models.
I had a Ford Kuga to dive today. its not in a par with the Evoque by any means, but is the same size vehicle so i thought i would post my MPG.
Ford figures are 47MPG, the best i could get after driving 300+miles on A & B roads was 36MPG

Likewise I have an base Enterprise-renta-car 2.0TDI Kuga - front wheel drive, that I've done 700+ miles in the last week in, driven gently it's averaging 39.6mpg on 150 mile motorway/A road runs as an ED4 equivalent that's not exactly brilliant either. To be fair to the Kuga it's pretty OK to drive though.

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
03-05-2012 08:46pm
sethor

(03-05-2012 05:29pm)The Valeter Wrote:  I filled up with normal Shell before we left but that is mainly because Shell is regarded as good & I get points but when we left Liverpool I drove round for ages (near the Runcorn Bridge area) & could't find a garage then used Asda fuel - no difference in the consumption.

You need to run a few tanks of the same fuel to see improvements, as the ecu will gradually adapt tuning.

Fuji White Dynamic Si4
04-05-2012 04:10am
ED209

(03-05-2012 08:00pm)doug Wrote:  I know we are all a bit unhappy with the MPG we are getting, as there nothing like the LR figures. But isn't this the case with all makes & models.

No this is not the case.

My last scirocco i averged 37mpg the combined figure was 42.
My 07 civic type r i averaged 32mpg, the combined figure was 32mpg
my banger 2001 ford mondeo i averaged 34mpg, the combined figure was 38mpg

All a hell of a lot closer to the manufacturers claims than i get with the evoque where i am 14mpg short of the published combined figure.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
04-05-2012 08:22am
mark_n

If you do the research, you'll see that the test routines to establish published figures are far removed from real world driving where things like the number of engine starts, anciliaries switched on and so on make a difference. To everyone who whinges about their consumption not matching the published figures I ask this question: You do keep the aircon and stereo switched off, don't you?

My Si4 has settled to a reasonable 28 - 29 mpg on a run - 500 miles to the Lake District and back and that's with the aircon on and Adele singing her heart out.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2012 08:45am by mark_n.)
04-05-2012 08:44am
ED209

(04-05-2012 08:44am)mark_n Wrote:  If you do the research, you'll see that the test routines to establish published figures are far removed from real world driving where things like the number of engine starts, anciliaries switched on and so on make a difference. To everyone who whinges about their consumption not matching the published figures I ask this question: You do keep the aircon and stereo switched off, don't you?

My Si4 has settled to a reasonable 28 - 29 mpg on a run - 500 miles to the Lake District and back and that's with the aircon on and Adele singing her heart out.

I hardly ever have the aircon on so thats not the reason.

Im suprised your car isnt burning more fuel in protest at having to endure the whinging cacky sack that is adele playing through its stereo.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
04-05-2012 09:34am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The June edition of What Car? magazine tells exactly how the Euro Official figures are calculated - it's all done in the lab on a rolling road, the car never goes near a real life road.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2012 10:06am by XFullFatTim.)
04-05-2012 10:06am
The Valeter

I rarely have the aircon on either to be honest but as I said in my earlier post my consumption wasn't bad on the journey I last did.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
04-05-2012 10:30am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Donny Dog

The handbook recommends that the air con and 'auto' be left on as a 'default' setting,. I had assumed that the actual cooling function (requiring the compressor to run) would only operate when the internal selected temperature could not be achieved using cooler air from outside, and that the air con would not actually run other than in hot weather. Is this not the case? If it is cold, and presumably the air is being warmed rather than cooled, what is the air con doing? Does the heater consume electricity? (I had assumed it was the normal type of heater which operates off the engine cooling system, and that the heat was therefore 'free').
04-05-2012 10:51am