Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
Real world mpg
jitenc

RE: Real world mpg

(14-03-2012 11:03am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  If you car is privately run and you are doing "normal" private milage around 8-10,000 miles year then you won't need to stop at filling stations too frequently - the car can manage 450 miles on a full tank of diesel. If you are commuting then yes stop start driving is a killer, but is it with any car - even Hybrids are having problems matching the official figures. I read recently that in real life a Prius is not likely to get 60mpg let alone the 85 that is claimed and the Honda CRZ is even worse. I had a test drive in a CRZ and never saw more than 40mpg in a whole weekend of normal driving and the claimed figure was 56mpg on the combined cycle.

Tim, do you think the DC100 (which you are waiting for) will have the new improved engine with better mpg if it goes into production. And what has become of the Hybrid Evoque which was of talk few months back before the launch?

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
14-03-2012 11:33am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dimitrios

(14-03-2012 10:43am)taggie149 Wrote:  I have to say, all these negative posts regards mpg are putting serious doubts in my mind whether to buy one or not, i'm now starting to wonder once the honeymoon period is over will i start getting peeved at visiting the fuel pumps..
Times are tough enough without putting further financial pressure on our incomes, heart says yes, buy my mind now having doubts..
How many of you guys (& be honest), now the initial excitement of owning the car, albeit for maybe only a short period, are perhaps wishing you'd looked at something else?

I don’t think you can purchase a car like the RRE based solely on the real world mpg let alone what the manufacture claims. Even if real world mpg is a lot less I’m guessing most people would still have purchased even with hindsight. Then again I’m not in the honeymoon stage yet, we're not even dating Very Happy

Dynamic SD4, Santorini, Chrome Shadow, Lux Pack, Priv Glass, Red /Black leather & headlining
Collection: 24 Mar 2012 / Ordered: Oct 2011
14-03-2012 11:48am
Pommyboi

@taggie, if MPG is very important and you are not doing motorway miles then the answer is to go for a more economical car, lighter with a more modern engine and gearbox however with every car I looked at prior to ordering the RRE existing owners had exactly the same issue with MPG not being as promised. There were also people who achieved exactly what promised. I'm hoping for 33-35mpg average from the SD4 auto I have ordered but that includes a lot of motorway miles at steady, sensible speeds.

On order: Feb 2012 - Pure, 5 door, SD4 auto, Style 4 wheels, Front parking, fog lights, rear camera, spare wheel. Red Contrast roof, Ebony- final spec TBC
14-03-2012 01:49pm
BFGEvoqueMan

(08-03-2012 02:09pm)jitenc Wrote:  No chance. I am on summer tyres at the mo. Doing 35 miles to and fro work on dual carriage way and A roads with traffic. I do put the car on sports mode and use dynamic mode on some sharp bends.... i think no one has topped up to 28.6 mpg yet, or have they??Shocked
I bet, after a while everyone will stop moarning and groanning and just accept the car as it is or PX it for a Prius.

Summers (20" Michelins) back on and this morning got 36mpg without thinking about it, so 10% increase over my wintersExclamation Not hugely bothered as you don't buy this type of car for economy, but I thought it would be reasonable to expect it to me a bit more economical (and certainly no worse) than the very same engine/transmission equipped FL2

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
14-03-2012 01:54pm
leveller

I've discovered that Si4 owners should use Command Shift paddles as much as possible. We can move off from stationary at junctions, roundabouts or whatever, at whatever acceleration you want to, but change up at every 2,000 revs. You'll find very quickly you'll be in 5th/6th gear cruising at 1,600 to 2,000 revs. The car gives me the impression that she's programmed to react to acceleration from stationary, as though we are trying to test her 0-60 times rather than just pulling away briskly, therefore she's giving us completely unneccessary high revs.

Also, unless you tell her to change up to higher gears, she'll cruise at a lower gear at high revs.

And on motorways don't drive over 70MPH, keep her in 6th and make sure the revs don't go over 2,000.

5dr Evoque Dynamic Si4, OG. I love her, mostly.
(This post was last modified: 14-03-2012 02:28pm by leveller.)
14-03-2012 02:06pm
taggie149

(14-03-2012 11:48am)Dimitrios Wrote:  I don’t think you can purchase a car like the RRE based solely on the real world mpg let alone what the manufacture claims. Even if real world mpg is a lot less I’m guessing most people would still have purchased even with hindsight. Then again I’m not in the honeymoon stage yet, we're not even dating Very Happy

Hi, yes i completely agree, but it's not just the mpg that people seem to be aggrieved at, a lot feel the car just isn't as much a premium vehicle as it should be for £40k+ (obviously Dynamic model) & that's a heck of a lot of money to then start finding faults..

See, my bloody mind is now talking me out of one, i just can't win..

In all honesty though, as we had originally budgeted around £30k for a used Audi Q5, i'm now dithering over the Evoque..
14-03-2012 08:37pm
mark_n

Had time to take it easy on a 190 mile round trip yesterday, so tried to maximise the MPG - Aircon off, sound off, cruise control to maintain a steady 56 mph, two engine starts/warmups, managed to get it to 29.8 mpg, so I assume this is as good as the Si4 is ever going to get.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
18-03-2012 11:03am
CrawfsEvoque

Still running along at 36.7 mpg. Ho hum.

Pure SD4 Auto, Fuji White, Almond / Espresso, Pure Style Pack, Tech Pack, Auto Dim Mirror, Park Assist, Carpet Mats, Zenons, Spare Wheel, Mudflaps, Rigid Boot Liner and Rubber Mats.
21-03-2012 12:06am
Evoqess

(14-03-2012 02:06pm)leveller Wrote:  I've discovered that Si4 owners should use Command Shift paddles as much as possible. We can move off from stationary at junctions, roundabouts or whatever, at whatever acceleration you want to, but change up at every 2,000 revs. You'll find very quickly you'll be in 5th/6th gear cruising at 1,600 to 2,000 revs. The car gives me the impression that she's programmed to react to acceleration from stationary, as though we are trying to test her 0-60 times rather than just pulling away briskly, therefore she's giving us completely unneccessary high revs.

Also, unless you tell her to change up to higher gears, she'll cruise at a lower gear at high revs.

And on motorways don't drive over 70MPH, keep her in 6th and make sure the revs don't go over 2,000.

Brilliantly put! I've also noticed just how high revving the gearbox is at lower speeds - ever at the ready for a full power getaway (but in traffic where am I going to go!). So being light footed on the accelerator just keeps the Si4 in lower gears - using more fuel! By getting to the higher gears quicker I have improved my round town figure by 1.5 litres /100 km Smile

Evoque fan who used to drive Shocked a Pure, Fuji, 19" style 4 alloys, heated everything, rear cam, power tailgate, pan roof, privacy glass etc
21-03-2012 05:23am
speary

Only had my SD4 for a few days but so far on my journey to work which is 17 miles of which 10 is motorway i get 43mpg going and 38mpg coming home.
The traffic is reasonable in the morning and quite heavy with some stop start on the way home
Hopefully it will get better as the engine loosens up

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
21-03-2012 02:41pm