Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
Real world mpg
Donny Dog

RE: My Mpg - a bit dissappointed

(01-03-2012 10:14pm)j7david Wrote:  I've been very surprised about how little effect speed seems to have on my MPG readings, at least on my trip computer. On my previous A3, Civic Type R, and Aygo it always made a huge difference.

My daily commute is 2 miles of 30mph steady getting out of town, 30 miles dual carriageway, then about half a mile 30mph again. I've experimented doing the 30 mile section at 55mph, 60mph, and 70mph - each on multiple occasions - and to be honest there's hardly any difference at all.

My MPG figures on the trip computer average around 37-38mpg at 55mph, 36-37mpg at 60mph, and 35.5-36.5mpg at 70mph. Works out about £3.50/hour of my time for the extra time taken, in terms of saved petrol costs.

My "at the pump" MPG figures (above) are all a bit (~2mpg) lower than this, which probably reflects the tip meter being a bit optimistic and the fact that I do some other driving apart from my work commute.

Maybe the 'falling off the edge' point on an Evoque is faster than a RAV. so the effect comes in at a higher speed than you were trying(?)

(01-03-2012 10:49pm)martinPL Wrote:  interestingly the UK and US web sites present the numbers a bit differently but still I cannot put them together.

US:
city: 18 mpg (that is US gallon I assume) - 21.6 mpg UK
highway: 28 mpg - 33.7 mpg UK
combined: 23 mpg - 27.6 mpg UK

UK:
urban: 23.7 mpg (that is UK gallon I assume) - 19.7 mpg US
extra urban: 40.9 mpg - 34 mpg US
combined: 32.5 mpg - 27 mpg US

Am I not seeing it right? Something does not add up. The numbers are for the petrol Dynamic from the respective web sites.

Does the USA use UK-derived data, or do they do their own? (If the latter, they may have different test methods or criteria).
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2012 10:55pm by Donny Dog.)
01-03-2012 10:54pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
martinPL

RE: My Mpg - a bit dissappointed

(01-03-2012 10:54pm)Donny Dog Wrote:  Does the USA use UK-derived data, or do they do their own? (If the latter, they may have different test methods or criteria).

I am sure the methods/criteria are slightly different and hence different terms: highway, extra urban, city, ... but the averages for the common scenarios should be the same.

'Urban' (appears that it's city driving at 19 mph) and 'city' are darn close.
UK's 'extra urban' (supposedly it means driving at 39 mph but not sure on what roads) claims 34 US mpg - I need to try it but I doubt I will be able to average this kind of gas consumption on anything but a descent.
UK's 'combined' is 27 US mpg - this means I should be able to get this mpg while driving 50/50 urban/extra urban. Again I'd need to try it (this would be suburb/rural driving here where I live) and would be incredibly happy to achieve such fuel economy.
I am still not too disappointed as I get much better overall gas mileage in RRE (23 mpg US) than in my 2006 RRS (17 mpg US) but my expectations based on the claimed figures were a bit higher. Cheers
02-03-2012 12:24am
jiggyjaggy

RE: Real world mpg

Has anyone gone as far as cancelling an order due to their disappointment in the "true" mpg of the Evoque?

Maritius Blue what a colour - I don't own one but my my what a colour! Cool
02-03-2012 12:29am
ant

Just back from a round trip to Halewood. Got 37.7mpg. Seems to be a continuous improvement. Now done 4,300 miles.
ANT

Prestige, 5 dr, SD4 Auto, Firenze, Lux, Ambience, Adaptive Dynamics, (+other options).
Current cars: Evoque: 1972 Stag: 2008 C4 Grand Picasso x 2: 2004 Defender 110: LDV flatbed (for moving the Stag)
Gone: Aston Martin DB9Crying, RRS, FFRR x 5, Classic Minis x loads, 1987 Defender 110.
02-03-2012 08:08pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

My journey back from Halewood was marred by having to stop at Southwaite services to fill up from the half tank of diesel remaining after the trip south with diesel selling at £1.519 a litre! Must have been good swag though as Halewood to Southwaite Services I got the consumption to 42.8mpg, average speed 69mph, both figures from the Ave Trip computation on the dash. Filled at at Southwaite and drove non-stop to home, mostly on the cruise and with one section spent trapped in the outside lane with numpties rushing home from manchester to the north at break-neck speeds well in excess of the limit and the trip average from Soutwaite to my house was 41.9mpg, average speed 71mph. There wasn't much wind blowing but what there was was assisting me as it was a Southerly breeze that wasn't slowing me down so southbound average 37mpg, northbound on the same route 42mpg, distance each way was 258 miles, so I'm happy with that.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2012 08:21pm by XFullFatTim.)
02-03-2012 08:20pm
SiT

I've tried to keep up with all the posts on this and happy to be talked down but has anyone considered that most engines are very tight therefore MPG will be pretty rubbish for at least the first 10K miles..??

Every new car I’ve owned has been total rubbish on MPG returns until a fair few miles are under the belt.. Does no-one see this and consider it..? I think that low 30's are what are expected for a new car of this type and I’m certainly not expecting more. However come 10-15K miles if it’s not improved I’d have something serious to say.

S
02-03-2012 11:06pm
Donny Dog

(02-03-2012 11:06pm)SiT Wrote:  I've tried to keep up with all the posts on this and happy to be talked down but has anyone considered that most engines are very tight therefore MPG will be pretty rubbish for at least the first 10K miles..??

Every new car I’ve owned has been total rubbish on MPG returns until a fair few miles are under the belt.. Does no-one see this and consider it..? I think that low 30's are what are expected for a new car of this type and I’m certainly not expecting more. However come 10-15K miles if it’s not improved I’d have something serious to say.

S

That's 2 to 3 years' motoring for my wife's Evoque!
03-03-2012 12:00am
Mag1c_dragon

(02-03-2012 11:06pm)SiT Wrote:  I've tried to keep up with all the posts on this and happy to be talked down but has anyone considered that most engines are very tight therefore MPG will be pretty rubbish for at least the first 10K miles..??

S

I would be happy with low 30's. Low twenties and teens I am not - this weeks average is 15.8! (only short journeys and town driving this week)

Must admit after 2500 miles mine is now starting to regularly regularly reach 30's (and sometimes more) on a run

Ordered June 11, Built - 24th November - Delivered - 7th Dec - NO DELAYS

Fuji White SD4 Dynamic, Auto, 5 Door, Black contrast roof with Panoramic Sunroof, Vortex Interior, Shadow Alloys, Ebony Roof Liner, Surround Cameras, TPMS Very Happy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnrampton/6495208095/
03-03-2012 08:46am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Mag1c_Dragon whoever advised you to buy the diesel was your problem. 99% of people who know about these things know that you don't buy a diesel if you are only driving 4-5 miles a day journey, diesels are at their most efficient when they are running at steady RPM over longish distances. For any other sort of driving a petrol engine beats them hands down, they emit less emissions, they warm up more rapidly and they are more responsive for stop/start motoring. Also if you are not covering more than 10,000 miles a year then the petrol will work out cheaper to run.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2012 11:06am by XFullFatTim.)
03-03-2012 10:03am
Donny Dog

(03-03-2012 10:03am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Mag1c_Dragon whoever advised you to buy the diesel was your problem. 99% of people who know about these things know that you don't buy a diesel if you are only driving 4-5 miles a day journey, diesels are at their most efficient when they are running at steady RPM over longish distances. For any other sort of driving a petrol engine beats them hands down, they emit less emissions, they warm up more rapidly and they are more responsive for stop/start motoring. Also if you are not covering more than 10,000 miles a year then the petrol will work out cheaper to run.

Oh, dear! I've got an SD4 to pick up on Tuesday, and my wife will only do 3,000 miles a year, ALL of it on journeys of about 5 to 8 miles! Sad
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2012 11:07am by XFullFatTim.)
03-03-2012 10:06am