Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 4.5 Average
Real world mpg
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Real world mpg

Also Aircon doesn't have to be cold air, you can still run the heater and have hot de-humidified air.

Now here is a word of warning for those that don't use the aircon in winter - other Range Rovers I have owned have had problems with condensation in the boot where most of the expensive electronics is located. Dampness is not a great friend of electronics and I was advised that today's aircon systems are not the gas guzzlers that everybody thinks they are and that I should run with the climate control switched on 365/6 days a year just to protect the electronics from dampness.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2012 10:26am by XFullFatTim.)
11-02-2012 10:25am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Donny Dog

(11-02-2012 10:25am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Also Aircon doesn't have to be cold air, you can still run the heater and have hot de-humidified air.
True, but presumably in cold weather there will be little prolonged input of cold air and therefore a correspondingly lower consumption of energy. In my wife's car, we leave the automatic climate control on all year round, but that car has a light to indicate whether air conditioning is actually taking place (i.e. input of cold dry air). Apart from when we select 'screen clear' (which clears condensation as you discuss) the light only illuminates on a handful of days a year (if any, unfortunately!!).
11-02-2012 10:41am
lrdaft

Wow just checked over 30000 views and 50 pages I think this must be the biggest thread on this forum
Just shows how far land rover are out with their figures ,I have had 2 trips to dealer so far to be told 28 mpg is normal!!

Pure sd4 auto Fuji cirrus
11-02-2012 03:34pm
THEMACS

(11-02-2012 03:34pm)lrdaft Wrote:  Wow just checked over 30000 views and 50 pages I think this must be the biggest thread on this forum
Just shows how far land rover are out with their figures ,I have had 2 trips to dealer so far to be told 28 mpg is normal!!

Well Be told then and stop Posting!LaughingLaughingLaughing

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
11-02-2012 09:07pm
Dave_T

@ Gomark, and anyone else interested in positive action rather than moaning.

So, what can we do?

1) Measure what consumption you can achieve - be fair here! this car is capable of mighty fine performance, which should not be included in your economy calculations Laughing
See what you can achieve driving at 56mph, excess electrical equipment off, AC off, tyres properly inflated etc etc.
Keep records.

2) Let Landrover know that we are not satisfied that the car is living up to the sales promise. Whilst we know that they read this site - witness the speed with which the 'halogen' picture was deleted from the website - it is not enough to rely on writing here. Talking to your dealer is not enough either. You will need to write to your dealer, letting them know your issue, and what you would like done about it. I have done this, and whilst I am reasonably happy with my wording, it is personal to my circumstances.
I suspect there will be sufficient legally minded people on this site to draft a suitable letter. Any offers?
Again, be realistic here! asking your dealer to cover the difference in fuel cost for the next 100k miles that you plan to drive is probably not reasonable. Nor should we waste their time un-necessarily - we may need their support when it breaks down (it is a Landrover Wink )

3) Push for a response from Landrover - why won't they comment here??
I would like them to give us the parameters by which we should expect to achieve the equivalent of the 'combined' figure. Clearly we are not going to replicate the test laboratory, but I feel it would be helpful to know what constant cruise speed should deliver what mpg. In theory this would be the cruise speed represented on the pretty graph that displays on setting cruise control speed, that matches the official CO2 figure??
Perhaps they could also let us know what tyre pressure was used for the tests, and whether the 'mapping' was the same, etc.

4) Keep posting here the 'tips' on how to achieve a reasonable fuel consumption. My top tips would be:
Keep the trip computer set on 'auto' average mpg - be aware of the effects of the way you drive.
Make sure the tyres are at the correct pressure.
Every so-often, switch the computer off, sacrifice an extra £10 on fuel, and enjoy the car Cool
11-02-2012 11:12pm
Westy

Received my car on wednesday with 13 miles on the clock and it felt tight, now covered 400 miles, did a 200 mile journey yesterday on the motorway and the average fuel consumption for the 387 miles I have done in it is 37.6 mpg, that is a mix of local driving as well as 70mph motorway driving in dark, lights, heating, (with 2 adults and 3 teenagers) I don't think that is too bad for now.
The town driving did bring the consumption right down though, the average on the motorway on its own was 42mpg, then it came down to 37.
Driving style not hard but keeping up with the traffic pace. Agree with Tim that the cruise control is a convenience device rather than a fuel saving device, strange that you can only get the eco graph when the cruise control is activated, would have been a good game as an Eco challenge in 6th gear.
Think that LR need to adopt some of the Eco improvements that the double clutch automated manual gearboxes have to offer, the traditional aisin box in the evoque auto is a traditional auto and hence good off road but not as efficient as the manual. With Audi the dsg gearboxes actually outperform the manuals for speed and fuel economy.

One of the happy owners, ordered June 2011, delivered Wednesday 8th February 2012, now 97000 miles. Scorpions lasted 78'000 miles.

Pure TD4 5 door, fuji white, ebony interior, Pan roof, Front fogs, spare wheel, privacy glass, towbar and black roofrails.

Cars got to go back to company March 25th 2015 Sad
12-02-2012 12:33am
PhilSkill

Updated graph, with av temp and speed.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
12-02-2012 11:13pm
simonc

Seems to be a definite and significant trend with average temperature showing up there - after the first 1000 miles or so at least. Here's hoping people will see a marked improvement come the warmer months.

Dynamic Si4 5dr Orkney Grey, Black Pano, Vortex + Ebony, Keyless Entry, Spare Wheel
Collected 12th March 2012
13-02-2012 10:25am
Skymonster

SD4 auto, mixture of city (20-30%) and normal motorways (the rest), 34.9 over 750 miles since new - on delivery it was showing low average 20s but it's been edging upwards and will hopefully continue to do so for a while - i haven't reset it yet.

One thing I have noticed is the auto doesn't seem to be overly keen on going into 6th until something over 50mph even with a very light throttle, so where I know I'm going to be running at low 50s for a while I'm command shifting it to 6th - I'm not convinced 50mph in 5th is good for economy, but it will rumble along at 1400rpm in 6th at 50 if told to do so.

Andy

----
Pure 2.2SD4, auto, tech, pano, etc... Fuji... And very happy with my choice so far...
(This post was last modified: 13-02-2012 12:39pm by Skymonster.)
13-02-2012 12:39pm
cjfp

ok, sussed it!

before you go on a journey, look at your overall average mpg.
Now switch the display to instant mpg and drive your journey such that the instant mpg is only ever greater than your average mpg. By definition, this will improve your mpg.

ok, so this may make you drive like a granny/grandad but that's the choice. Higher mpg and less fun, or lower mpg and fun fun fun.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
16-02-2012 06:35pm