Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Range Rover thieves in action again in Central Scotland
MarkA_

Range Rover thieves in action again in Central Scotland

(01-09-2013 12:17am)scrannel Wrote:  Realize this isn't for everyone, but the only real deterrent to a break-in is a large, loud dog. Sorry for all that over there. In the states the targets of car thieves are usually low cost, mass produced machines that they can part out to the repair guys.

Really? Hollywood says otherwise - I.e. Gone in 60 Seconds Very Happy

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
01-09-2013 08:54am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
scrannel

RE: Range Rover thieves in action again in Central Scotland

(01-09-2013 08:54am)MarkA_ Wrote:  Really? Hollywood says otherwise - I.e. Gone in 60 Seconds Very Happy

My info comes from published interviews with thieves who made a living breaking into houses. The universal quote was: "you hear a dog, move on to the next house." We had a Rottweiler - Lab mix who was huge but had the personality of a kitten. One day we had the gardening crew at work and Sluggo wandered out to see what was what. When I came out we had five guys who had climbed trees. Fast. In Hollywood dogs never bite -- unless they're werewolves of course!

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
03-09-2013 12:26am
tetstb

If they are stealing your RRE, they are doing so because they know you have it. If some baseball bat toting eejit comes into my house looking for my keys and decides to vent his anger on me or my family because I've put it in the garage, given him a fake key or some other ploy then he can have it and furthermore, I don't want them to use said baseball bad on my dog either.

It's sad that in today's society that this happens but it's a lump of metal and plastic, not worth risking life and limb over and however smart you think you may be, you can bet these guys are not going to applaud you for it.

Personally I'd rather wake up in the morning to find it gone or be awoken by my alarm than be giving plod a description from my hospital bed.

Cheers

Bob

SD4 Auto Dynamic OG , Verve, Panoramic Roof, Chrome Shadow, 825w audio, Park Assist, Privacy Glass.

[Image: 123130.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2013 08:14am by tetstb.)
03-09-2013 08:11am
RRSteve

For me it's the principal of someone coming into my home and threatening me rather than them them trying to pinch my car. If the chance arose and I couldn't talk my way out of it I'd have to have a go because I'd be fuming for years after if I didn't! I've smacked down someone before trying to mug me threatening me with a bottle in the street so I'm buggered if I will let anyone get away with it in my own home!
We are all different on this and I do posses some skills. Wink

Saying that I would have to feel confident I could win especially if the wife was in the house. That can be figured out during the "chat"!

A good thing to get used to is to put your mobile in your hand/pocket if you suspect someone is in the house and have a number of someone or the police on speed dial so you can phone from your pocket (or pretend your talking to someone on the phone if you suspect someone is in the house saying you think someone is there).
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2013 09:14am by RRSteve.)
03-09-2013 09:09am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Bob I agree completely. Thankfully I have not been in the house when this has happened. What I find scarey is that somebody is watching my movements and I have no idea who it might be..............

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
03-09-2013 09:18am
cutter7

Strike the eyes, nose, throat, neck, and groin if you must fight. Strike very swiftly and without any hesitation.

If the intruder has a weapon, consider disarming him and using it for your own protection.

Kill or incapacitate, at this point, if you can't simply scare him off or reason with him, you either knock him out or beat him dead..

Powerful strikes to the chin (best done on the side of the chin) will easily knock the intruder out!.

03-09-2013 09:42am
Wife's car

I have always found that a piece of three by two to be an effective deterrent. You cannot rely on the police.
03-09-2013 11:49am
RRSteve

(03-09-2013 09:42am)cutter7 Wrote:  Strike the eyes, nose, throat, neck, and groin if you must fight. Strike very swiftly and without any hesitation.

If the intruder has a weapon, consider disarming him and using it for your own protection.

Kill or incapacitate, at this point, if you can't simply scare him off or reason with him, you either knock him out or beat him dead..

Powerful strikes to the chin (best done on the side of the chin) will easily knock the intruder out!.

And don't punch! It hurts you!! Especially if you hit a chin!! Palms. elbows the way to go! Wink
03-09-2013 12:11pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Sorry guys - I've just completed a Surviving Piracy and Armed Robbery training course and none of those methods were recommended - they are likely to land you up in court for GBH.....................

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
03-09-2013 12:17pm
RRSteve

Which course was it? I know the courses you talk about, and they do give food for thought, but from my experience you wouldn't care if you stopped the thief. I think the implications of what the law says would be the last thing going through your mind in an attack! Training is one thing, but the type of person you are makes a big difference.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2013 12:23pm by RRSteve.)
03-09-2013 12:20pm