Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Range Rover thieves in action again in Central Scotland
IvorRedOne

RE: Range Rover thieves in action again in Central Scotland

Just a thought but how many owners have garages and don't use them? Mine is locked up in the garage whenever it isn't being used. It's never spent a night out of the garage. Call me old fashioned but a garage is for the safe keep of your prized possession not to hoard your crap. If you have a garage then put it away and stop showing it to the world. Slate me if you want but you all know common sense prevails. All my neighbours have single and double garages and yet not one of them puts their cars away.
29-08-2013 03:46pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Valeter

(17-08-2013 05:59pm)Trapdoor Wrote:  I still hold that the best plan is a set of 'keys' off ebay - unprogrammed/less the key blade - let them THINK they have the correct keys but it won't open the car (oh, bugger, the battery must be flat).

One would hope that the element of 'ransacking' looking for keys would be eliminated. I cannot imagine they'd think they had the wrong or dud set, certainly not straight away.... I also think that it would eliminate the aggro you may get if they broke in whilst you were there - as they would 'find' the keys and go straight back out to the car - giving the homeowner time to call the Police or 'take action' whilst they were trying to get the car to open.

Same could work for carjacking - hand them 'the key' and bail out - see how far they get before they realise it's not the correct/working key.

I recon that is a good idea!!

(29-08-2013 03:46pm)IvorRedOne Wrote:  Just a thought but how many owners have garages and don't use them? Mine is locked up in the garage whenever it isn't being used. It's never spent a night out of the garage. Call me old fashioned but a garage is for the safe keep of your prized possession not to hoard your crap. If you have a garage then put it away and stop showing it to the world. Slate me if you want but you all know common sense prevails. All my neighbours have single and double garages and yet not one of them puts their cars away.

This should be common sence to all no matter what car you have, seems stupid having a garage & not using it for the intended purpose.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
(This post was last modified: 30-08-2013 12:14am by The Valeter.)
30-08-2013 12:12am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I have a garage - it's full of trailer and bikes and windsurfing gear! But there s a problem with my situation - with the car sitting outside my neighbours can see it is still there. If it were stolen from inside my garage then nobody would know it was missing unless the garage door was smashed to get the car out.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
30-08-2013 12:17am
The Valeter

(30-08-2013 12:17am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I have a garage - it's full of trailer and bikes and windsurfing gear! But there s a problem with my situation - with the car sitting outside my neighbours can see it is still there. If it were stolen from inside my garage then nobody would know it was missing unless the garage door was smashed to get the car out.

Just in case, I wasn't refering to you Tim re the garage. It was a generic reply. I would say 98% of the customers I do that have a garage don't use it for the car.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
(This post was last modified: 30-08-2013 01:20am by The Valeter.)
30-08-2013 01:20am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

Problem is these days, 98% of 'new' garages are big enough to take cars.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
30-08-2013 05:46am
Stevemac1

I heard they were operating in Prestwick last weekend. 3 breakins to houses looking for keys, a RR sport, Merc and M6 targeted. They got the M6 which was later forund in a cutting shop in Glasgow.

Evoque SD4 Dynamic Coupe - Santorini black, 20" shadow cromes, privacy glass, pano roof. Cool complete with creaky tailgate and many rattles Mad
30-08-2013 08:24am
Trapdoor

I have a huge double garage - but doors only just big enough to get my Evoque in with the mirrors folded. It's a fairly new house (2001).

I ALWAYS make sure the Evoque is in there, Mrs T's Toyota gets parked on the drive in front of the doors - yes, it's a PITA to get the Evoque out, but I seldom go out in it when in a rush. I also have the garage alarmed as the other side of it is used for aircraft restoration work.

Next door(s) ... same house, same size garage - one has a Merc Hearse, the other has some sort of butt ugly Audi - neither park in their garages and have them just full of boxes, junk, freezers etc ... If the scum come a callin' I'd like to thing the Audi will go first, followed by the Merc Hearse, they may look at the Toyota and think "it's a hybrid, not nicking that' and then bugger off. If they DO open the garage and we're there, then the chime will go off on the alarm, if we are in bed or out, the alarm will go off and I'll get a text. They had better hope I'm not there or they could be looking down the barrel of a Browning 12g pump Smile (assuming I can find the keys to the bloody cabinet before they clear off)

Had: 2013 Prestige Auto Lux
Have: MY17 Autobiography in Waitomo Grey with Ivory/Espresso interior, HUD, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Dynamics, Dynamic Driveline, Wading, Massage Seats. Delivered 17/09/16
30-08-2013 08:41am
Evo-king

I can get the RRE in my garage, just.

The only problem is I would have to stay in it as I wouldn't be able to get out of it! Embarrassed

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
30-08-2013 09:40pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

That is why most people don't use their argae I suspect, it isn't the owners who have expanded its the cars, owning a Coupe also doesn't help as it has longer doors.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 31-08-2013 08:24am by XFullFatTim.)
31-08-2013 08:22am
scrannel

Realize this isn't for everyone, but the only real deterrent to a break-in is a large, loud dog. Sorry for all that over there. In the states the targets of car thieves are usually low cost, mass produced machines that they can part out to the repair guys.

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
01-09-2013 12:17am