Poll: Is the Dynamic Pack on a Prestige model any good?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Prestige with Dynamic Pack
Spiderman

Could anyone advise if they have driven a Prestige model which has the optional Dynamic 'Magneride Suspension' Pack added as well as a standard Prestige model without this option & if so what was your impression between the two set-ups?

Also, if you add the Dynamic Packs option to the Prestige model do the instrument panel & interior lights automatically turn a red glow when you select Dynamic mode as they do on the standard RRE Dynamic model or do they remain white?

I ask the above as I like a car to feel planted on the road & have on order a 2.2 SD Lux 5 door Dynamic with standard 20" wheels, whereas my wife has ordered a 2.2 SD Lux 5 door Prestige with standard 19" wheels, & on our recent test drives we both felt the standard Prestige model was a very capable drivers car over various road surfaces & at varying speeds, it did not lose composure once during our test drive on its standard suspension & 19" wheels, therefore I am left wondering what the 'real life' benefits of the "Magneride suspension" are as the 3 door petrol Dynamic model that we drove immediately afterwards felt quite noisy, fidgety and unsettled on anything but smooth tarmac and I remember that Magneride in certain cars I have owned actually spoilt those cars ride.

So....I am left with quite a dilemma as I prefer the look of the Dynamic's exterior, but I want to enjoy the usual RR drive refinements, & as I live in the country surrounded by B roads I am left wondering if I need to change my order to a Prestige model, but, before I do so I am interested to hear the findings from anyone who can offer any real life comparisons to aid my decision?

Thank you

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
(This post was last modified: 15-09-2011 12:06pm by Spiderman.)
15-09-2011 11:34am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brommy

RE: Prestige with Dynamic Pack

The salesman I spoke to (who had tested the effect of AD), said that it sharpened the handling when 'pushing on' but at the cost of ride quaility (goes very hard). He didn't believe it improved the ride quality under normal driving conditions. I appreciated his honesty and 'saved' myself £1150.
(This post was last modified: 15-09-2011 01:02pm by brommy.)
15-09-2011 01:01pm
gead

To me it's an essential....I want the car to have the two personalities that the MR seems to give. When the whole family is in the car I drive and expect different things from the car than when I get in by myself...

Happy to be corrected, but here in oz, even if you order the dynamic, the MR suspension is still a cost option.

White 5 dr SD4 Dynamic.
15-09-2011 01:07pm
SW6RR

Brommy, sounds perhaps like he is just referring to dynamic mode rather than to the magneride system as a whole...

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.862893,5.246617

Arrived (5/11/11): SD4 5-door "Presnamic" Lux Very Happy Auto, Fuji, Spirit/Tan, Style 8 20" Wheels, fully loaded (bar RSE, smoker's pack and Homelink)
15-09-2011 02:07pm
brommy

(15-09-2011 02:07pm)SW6RR Wrote:  Brommy, sounds perhaps like he is just referring to dynamic mode rather than to the magneride system as a whole...

I imagine the salesman was referring to dynamic mode, but even so it equates to, in the salesman's opinion:

Dynamic mode = better handling but ride too hard for most tastes (better on a smooth track?)
Non-Dynamic mode = nice ride and decent handling

After the pleasing ride/handling during my one hour test drive and not intending to stretch to the extra cost for AD, I was really hoping the SD4 auto I was driving had the standard suspension; I was relieved when the salesman said it was.

I imagine both suspension types are very good with the AD being a little better over the bumps and a far bit better around a race track. I'll be honest, if AD was £200, I'd have it. As it's over a grand I don't think I'll find many roads suitable for dynamic mode and appreciate enough difference in non-dynamic mode to justify the extra cost.
(This post was last modified: 15-09-2011 04:49pm by brommy.)
15-09-2011 04:41pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Well I have driven a Dynamic with AD.........................
Didn't notice that much difference in ride quality until I drove over a heavily corrugated section of the motorway and had to switch it off as the car felt like it was bouncing a lot on the suspension. The steering weights up noticeably too. Today I drove it on some twisty country roads and the car definately rides flatter than my FFRR did and as well as the TDv8 RRS did. I can hustle along at much higher speeds in the Evoque on twisty roads than either the FFRR (which just lurched round corners like a drunk ocean liner) or the RRS whose DR system did a very good job of holding the car flat in twisty bits. I can easily take corner that the RRS would get untidy on at 50 at 60 in the Evoque, probably more to do with it's lighter weight and the lesser turning momentum than the RRS or FFRR. After years of driving big heavy Range Rovers the Evoque is like driving an MX5 to me, with the handling to match in Dynamic form!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 15-09-2011 05:26pm by XFullFatTim.)
15-09-2011 05:23pm
ant

I've gone for a Prestige with AD. I think the ride is going to be just fine for everyday use and when I'm on my own and want to press on a bit, I have the option to swith Dynamic mode on. Simple.
ANT

Prestige, 5 dr, SD4 Auto, Firenze, Lux, Ambience, Adaptive Dynamics, (+other options).
Current cars: Evoque: 1972 Stag: 2008 C4 Grand Picasso x 2: 2004 Defender 110: LDV flatbed (for moving the Stag)
Gone: Aston Martin DB9Crying, RRS, FFRR x 5, Classic Minis x loads, 1987 Defender 110.
15-09-2011 05:28pm
Spiderman

(15-09-2011 05:23pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Well I have driven a Dynamic with AD.........................
Didn't notice that much difference in ride quality until I drove over a heavily corrugated section of the motorway and had to switch it off as the car felt like it was bouncing a lot on the suspension. The steering weights up noticeably too. Today I drove it on some twisty country roads and the car definately rides flatter than my FFRR did and as well as the TDv8 RRS did. I can hustle along at much higher speeds in the Evoque on twisty roads than either the FFRR (which just lurched round corners like a drunk ocean liner) or the RRS whose DR system did a very good job of holding the car flat in twisty bits. I can easily take corner that the RRS would get untidy on at 50 at 60 in the Evoque, probably more to do with it's lighter weight and the lesser turning momentum than the RRS or FFRR. After years of driving big heavy Range Rovers the Evoque is like driving an MX5 to me, with the handling to match in Dynamic form!

Thanks to all for the replies, I know that in a Ferrari the Magneride spills the handling as whilst it makes it sharper on the track or billiard table smooth roads, anything less than those surfaces causes the cars to fidget and become too hard....like you said Tim, it bounces and is uncomfortable....

Fortuitously I received a call from Stratstones Perth today advising that my 1st Evoque ordered is in & I go in tomorrow to collect it. It's a 5dr Dynamic, so it has the Magneride as standard, its in Sumatra Black with a Black and Pimento leather interior, so I'm away to find out whether I've made the right choice in ordering a Dynamic as opposed to a Prestige on normal suspension & if not my 2nd one is due in December so I have plenty time to change that order to a Prestige if the ride is too firm to live with day to day as I found the standard suspension on the Prestige model was very compliant and allowed for a spirited drive with ease, so whilst Magneride is great if it adds to the sporting drive, it's not great if it spoils the usual RR refinement, or is too fidgety a ride around the country roads where I live.

I too was amazed by the Evoques handling when I had a test drive last week, it was far better than my RRS & FFRR 4.2s/c, but then again it's lower, lighter and so was expected to be, but, it really is far better than I would have thought possible....well done Land Rover, it's wizardry...

As a Petrolhead and keen racing driver I'll drive the Dynamic Evoque around for a few days and update my findings on whether I can live with the Dynamics Magneride or not on a full time basis....and if not a Prestige will definitely be the next one that will arrive in December!

Thanks folks
Peter

(This post was last modified: 16-09-2011 12:12pm by Spiderman.)
16-09-2011 01:02am
Spiderman

The Active Dynamics with Magneride Suspension is 1st class, it really enhances the Evoques ride, handling and steering feel. By far this is the best Magneride system I have ever tried....and I am thoroughly enjoying my new Evoque as with this suspensions set-up it's a stunningly capable car....it corners flat, yet at the same time drives over my 3/4 mile aggregate driveway with utter compliancy and smoothness.....well done Land Rover, my next Evoque due December will definitely be another Dynamic 5 door model now!

Hope this helps anyone in a similar dilemma as I was before I lived with this for a day or two....I am now looking forward to driving it on a day to day basis as it's already a better driver than our Freelander2, RRS & FFRR & I am absolutely certain it will be equally as good in the snow....if not better!

(This post was last modified: 18-09-2011 03:25am by Spiderman.)
18-09-2011 03:22am