Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Park brake failure?!
Teetree

Park brake failure?!

Been driving on the snowy roads for about 25mins today. At a red light I pulled the (P) park brake while still in D and when the red P came on in the driver display I let go of the Brake pedal. The car was stationary at first but then started to move forward. I applied the foot brake and then released it again and the car moved forward again at which point I kept my foot on the brake pedal and put the dial back to park and that held the car fine. Wondered what happened there? I stopped off at a supermarket and on the way home used the park button again and no problems this time. Anyone experience the electromechanical park brake slipping?

Fuji Pure SD4 Auto 5door, powered tailgate, front sensors, rear camera , pano roof, heated steering wheel, front fogs, xenons, spare wheel, 19" diamond turned alloys
13-02-2013 11:00pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
griff

RE: Park brake failure?!

Obviously as the car was in gear and as it is designed to creep for off roading the torque overcame the brake. if you do it a lot maybe the pads are worn?

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
14-02-2013 11:11am
cjfp

Isn't the park brake designed to auto release when you are in gear and pull away (which the auto box will look to do when you are in gear and take your foot off the foot brake) ?, so I'm not sure I see a problem here.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
14-02-2013 11:23am
griff

(14-02-2013 11:23am)cjfp Wrote:  Isn't the park brake designed to auto release when you are in gear and pull away (which the auto box will look to do when you are in gear and take your foot off the foot brake) ?, so I'm not sure I see a problem here.

Thumbs Up

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
14-02-2013 11:35am
EpicEvo

Park brake failure?!

I don't bother to release mine some times as I know as soon as I start to lift the clutch it will auto release... But not in reverse tho.. Perhaps for safety reasons. Clever design if you ask me Smile
14-02-2013 11:38am
Teetree

Park brake failure?!

(14-02-2013 11:23am)cjfp Wrote:  Isn't the park brake designed to auto release when you are in gear and pull away (which the auto box will look to do when you are in gear and take your foot off the foot brake) ?, so I'm not sure I see a problem here.

Sorry I wasn't clear ; when in D and the park is applied manually then it should hold the car on its own while still in D. It's only when you press on the accelerator pedal that the park brake automatically releases and allows the driver to pull away. In this case I hadn't depressed the accelerator pedal yet and it still moved! May be griff's right could b worn pads or don't know if the snow had anything to do with it. It's been fine today but I'm wary of it now so will be parking a little further back from cars at red lights. Can always put it in P or N and park brake I guess. Just lazySmile

Fuji Pure SD4 Auto 5door, powered tailgate, front sensors, rear camera , pano roof, heated steering wheel, front fogs, xenons, spare wheel, 19" diamond turned alloys
14-02-2013 12:54pm
eddkawasaki

(14-02-2013 11:38am)EpicEvo Wrote:  I don't bother to release mine some times as I know as soon as I start to lift the clutch it will auto release... But not in reverse tho.. Perhaps for safety reasons. Clever design if you ask me Smile

Epic, it will release in reverse, 1st or second but the car looks for accelerator input and clutch lifting. I thought mine was not working in reverse when I first got it but I was not pressing the accelerator at the time just lifting the clutch to ease back.

SD4 Dynamic Lux, 5 Door, Firenze Red, Ebony Interior, Black headlining, Black Contrast Panoramic Roof, Aeroflip Spoiler, Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel, Adaptive Xenons, TPMS & Spare wheel
Order Date: 14th May 2012
Build date: approx 5th Oct 2012
Delivery Date: Should be 22nd Oct
Actual delivery: 31st Oct

[Image: 151436.png]
14-02-2013 02:15pm
EpicEvo

Park brake failure?!

Hajj good point. Makes sence Smile learn something new everyday
14-02-2013 02:16pm
speary

(14-02-2013 02:15pm)eddkawasaki Wrote:  Epic, it will release in reverse, 1st or second but the car looks for accelerator input and clutch lifting. I thought mine was not working in reverse when I first got it but I was not pressing the accelerator at the time just lifting the clutch to ease back.

It won't release in second gear even though it says it will in the manual

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
14-02-2013 02:32pm
cjfp

+1

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
14-02-2013 02:43pm