babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Park brake failure?! - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Range Rover Evoque Discussions (/Forum-Range-Rover-Evoque-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General (/Forum-General)
+--- Thread: Park brake failure?! (/Thread-Park-brake-failure)

Pages: 1 2

Park brake failure?! - Teetree - 13-02-2013 11:00pm

Been driving on the snowy roads for about 25mins today. At a red light I pulled the (P) park brake while still in D and when the red P came on in the driver display I let go of the Brake pedal. The car was stationary at first but then started to move forward. I applied the foot brake and then released it again and the car moved forward again at which point I kept my foot on the brake pedal and put the dial back to park and that held the car fine. Wondered what happened there? I stopped off at a supermarket and on the way home used the park button again and no problems this time. Anyone experience the electromechanical park brake slipping?

RE: Park brake failure?! - griff - 14-02-2013 11:11am

Obviously as the car was in gear and as it is designed to creep for off roading the torque overcame the brake. if you do it a lot maybe the pads are worn?

RE: Park brake failure?! - cjfp - 14-02-2013 11:23am

Isn't the park brake designed to auto release when you are in gear and pull away (which the auto box will look to do when you are in gear and take your foot off the foot brake) ?, so I'm not sure I see a problem here.

RE: Park brake failure?! - griff - 14-02-2013 11:35am

(14-02-2013 11:23am)cjfp Wrote:  Isn't the park brake designed to auto release when you are in gear and pull away (which the auto box will look to do when you are in gear and take your foot off the foot brake) ?, so I'm not sure I see a problem here.

Thumbs Up

Park brake failure?! - EpicEvo - 14-02-2013 11:38am

I don't bother to release mine some times as I know as soon as I start to lift the clutch it will auto release... But not in reverse tho.. Perhaps for safety reasons. Clever design if you ask me Smile

Park brake failure?! - Teetree - 14-02-2013 12:54pm

(14-02-2013 11:23am)cjfp Wrote:  Isn't the park brake designed to auto release when you are in gear and pull away (which the auto box will look to do when you are in gear and take your foot off the foot brake) ?, so I'm not sure I see a problem here.

Sorry I wasn't clear ; when in D and the park is applied manually then it should hold the car on its own while still in D. It's only when you press on the accelerator pedal that the park brake automatically releases and allows the driver to pull away. In this case I hadn't depressed the accelerator pedal yet and it still moved! May be griff's right could b worn pads or don't know if the snow had anything to do with it. It's been fine today but I'm wary of it now so will be parking a little further back from cars at red lights. Can always put it in P or N and park brake I guess. Just lazySmile

RE: Park brake failure?! - eddkawasaki - 14-02-2013 02:15pm

(14-02-2013 11:38am)EpicEvo Wrote:  I don't bother to release mine some times as I know as soon as I start to lift the clutch it will auto release... But not in reverse tho.. Perhaps for safety reasons. Clever design if you ask me Smile

Epic, it will release in reverse, 1st or second but the car looks for accelerator input and clutch lifting. I thought mine was not working in reverse when I first got it but I was not pressing the accelerator at the time just lifting the clutch to ease back.

Park brake failure?! - EpicEvo - 14-02-2013 02:16pm

Hajj good point. Makes sence Smile learn something new everyday

RE: Park brake failure?! - speary - 14-02-2013 02:32pm

(14-02-2013 02:15pm)eddkawasaki Wrote:  Epic, it will release in reverse, 1st or second but the car looks for accelerator input and clutch lifting. I thought mine was not working in reverse when I first got it but I was not pressing the accelerator at the time just lifting the clutch to ease back.

It won't release in second gear even though it says it will in the manual

RE: Park brake failure?! - cjfp - 14-02-2013 02:43pm

+1