Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Panoramic Roof - A Pain in the Glass
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Panoramic Roof - A Pain in the Glass

There is another "small print" item that has appeared for those with Defenders - the big name discount insurers (Direct Line/ Churchill, Admiral etc etc) will not even renew cover for station-wagons with side facing seats. You have to have forward facing seats to get any form of cover from them, also they no longer quote for offroad use. Land Rover Insurance still covers side facing seats, off road use and a panoramic roof (well it wasn't excluded from my policy in March this year)

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
18-08-2012 05:00pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chunkstar

Panoramic Roof - A Pain in the Glass

I work in insurance and spent a lot of time looking into different policies to ensure our pano roof was covered under the glass section of the policy. We eventually insured with LV. It is important everyone checks their policy at each renewal to check that the cover hasn't changed. I approached NFU in Feb 12 for a quote and they also cover pano roofs under glass but it is important to check that they haven't changed this since then. Esure were my previous insurers and they don't cover it under glass. Only bit of advice is to read the policy carefully before you take it out and at renewal before you renew.
18-08-2012 05:36pm
mark_n

(18-08-2012 03:39pm)alibeau Wrote:  The pano roof is covered under the main policy and not the windscreen section.

Yes, but the issue is that if the roof is damaged, you will have to claim as an accident and pay your accidental damage excess and possibly affect your no-claims bonus. If it was covered under the windscreen section, you would simply pay the windscreen excess (typically £75) with no effect on your no-claims discount.

I choose to have a £1000 accidental damage excess to keep the premium down so a claim for the sun-roof would be bad news.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
18-08-2012 06:53pm
wavey.dave

If you read my posts in the thread in the finance and insurance section you'll see the headache I had getting the pano roof covered at all on my admiral policy.

I'll not be renewing with them.

[Image: 143277.png]
18-08-2012 07:01pm
Ranger4

My previous provider was Aviva and my broker told me that they wouldn't cover the sunroof under the windscreen cover, even when their quote was around £800! After searching online I found that that quite a few companies, including Landrover Insurance, wouldn't cover the sunroof under the windscreen claus. I eventually settled on LV after reading the small print and then phoning them up to double check - £460, business class 1 & sunroof covered.

5 door, SD4 Auto, Dynamic LUX, Orkney Grey, Verve Interior, Ebony Headlining, Privacy Glass, Spare Wheel......
18-08-2012 08:29pm
alibeau

(18-08-2012 06:53pm)mark_n Wrote:  Yes, but the issue is that if the roof is damaged, you will have to claim as an accident and pay your accidental damage excess and possibly affect your no-claims bonus. If it was covered under the windscreen section, you would simply pay the windscreen excess (typically £75) with no effect on your no-claims discount.

I choose to have a £1000 accidental damage excess to keep the premium down so a claim for the sun-roof would be bad news.

Sorry, I missed the point.......

Ali.

Black Dynamic Si4 - gone but not forgotten.
19-08-2012 03:01am
Urban Splash

This has cropped up before....I'm with admiral. The most recent policy document has changed slightly with regards to glass...

"When getting my latest policy doc with Admiral, they would not add the pano roof to the modifications section as they have no way of adding it on their system.

The policy doc (page 15) explains windscreen damage. It's not clear cut. "we will pay: to repair or replace broken glass in your cars windscreen or windows.."

Is a pano roof a window? Probably not....

It goes on to state "we will not pay: more than £25 for each glass repair or £50 for each glass replacement, if the repair or replacement is not arranged via our glass repair helpline" question is, will the glass repair helpline cover a roof?

To add confusion, previous policy docs from Admiral specifically stated that "we will not pay to repair or replace sunroofs"

This line does not appear on the current doc"

All these people that have 'had it verbally confirmed', or 'note on file' need to be careful. If its not on your certificate or policy documentation that you actually have a copy of, it's a grey area and they are unlikely to pay out..

Delivered: Evoque 5 door Prestige SD4 Auto 4WD, Orkney Grey, Fixed Panoramic Roof, Ivory Headliner, Vibe Interior, Spare wheel, 20" Chrome Shadow Style 7
19-08-2012 10:12am
wavey.dave

(19-08-2012 10:12am)Urban Splash Wrote:  This has cropped up before....I'm with admiral. The most recent policy document has changed slightly with regards to glass...

"When getting my latest policy doc with Admiral, they would not add the pano roof to the modifications section as they have no way of adding it on their system.

The policy doc (page 15) explains windscreen damage. It's not clear cut. "we will pay: to repair or replace broken glass in your cars windscreen or windows.."

Is a pano roof a window? Probably not....

It goes on to state "we will not pay: more than £25 for each glass repair or £50 for each glass replacement, if the repair or replacement is not arranged via our glass repair helpline" question is, will the glass repair helpline cover a roof?

To add confusion, previous policy docs from Admiral specifically stated that "we will not pay to repair or replace sunroofs"

This line does not appear on the current doc"

All these people that have 'had it verbally confirmed', or 'note on file' need to be careful. If its not on your certificate or policy documentation that you actually have a copy of, it's a grey area and they are unlikely to pay out..

I emailed them the full list of options, and got an email confirming that they'd been added, along with a latter confirming that all of the options I added are covered. However, the roof comes under the main policy not the glass policy.

19-08-2012 11:58am
Urban Splash

So if you get a chip on your pano roof, you will claim against your policy? Loose all no claims potentially, and have a claim listed, thus increasing your premiums? Surely it's better to attempt to claim through the (admittedly ambiguous) 'broken glass' cover?

This is of course my own experience and opinion, but I would not be happy with an email trail to rely upon when if comes to insurance. They will do all they can to minimise payout....In my experience, it's what's on your certificate that matters.

Delivered: Evoque 5 door Prestige SD4 Auto 4WD, Orkney Grey, Fixed Panoramic Roof, Ivory Headliner, Vibe Interior, Spare wheel, 20" Chrome Shadow Style 7
19-08-2012 01:03pm
wavey.dave

(19-08-2012 01:03pm)Urban Splash Wrote:  So if you get a chip on your pano roof, you will claim against your policy? Loose all no claims potentially, and have a claim listed, thus increasing your premiums? Surely it's better to attempt to claim through the (admittedly ambiguous) 'broken glass' cover?

This is of course my own experience and opinion, but I would not be happy with an email trail to rely upon when if comes to insurance. They will do all they can to minimise payout....In my experience, it's what's on your certificate that matters.

They don't have the ability to list individual items on the certificate, all they have is generic modifications and they have listed modifications to bodywork and parking sensors (this is their interpretation of park assist lol"

If you read the thread, you'll see I had a hell of a battle to just get them to cover the pano roof at all.

19-08-2012 03:29pm