Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Of Road use and insurance companies in the UK
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Of Road use and insurance companies in the UK

Just a word of warning if you intend to take your Evoque off classified roads in the UK - check what your insurer defines "off road" as. On a "normal" policy you are not insured to drive off what is termed the "Queen's Highway".
Most insurers take this to be defined as any Classified road, some insurers consider that to be M,A and B classed roads. This means that if you use an unclassified road or a C/D class road in some cases you are not insured.
This has come to light recently when a member of a club I am also a member of had somebody else's car roll backwards on a slope on a track onto his car causing quite a lot of damage. The insurer (one of the mainstream direct type insurers) for the car that caused the damage deemed the owner not to be insured "because he was not driving on a classified road" . The road being driven on was a private road, tarred, but behind locked gates on a private estate. In effect he was not off road in the traditional sense of the word, but off the highway. If you want full off road cover it is included in some policies but generally not in any of of the more popular "direct" type insurers. This can also mean that you may not be insured if you take your car onto a field or up a fram lane. Please check with your insurance provider before leaving the "highway". It was queried what about supermarket car parks and the like - they are accepted to be part of the "highway".
Maybe any members working in the insurance industry might be able to clarify when on-road stops and becomes "off-road"

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 20-03-2012 11:56am by XFullFatTim.)
19-03-2012 11:13pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Graham

RE: Of Road use and insurance companies in the UK

This may be a case of "Cheap insurance is only cheap until you need to make a claim" !!
20-03-2012 11:43am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply