Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New rear pads at 2nd service!!!!
HEMMDJ

Hi there - new to forum (which is great by the way!!)

Just had 2nd service at local dealer and been told me I need new pads at rear (90% worn) and discs are lipped. I have only done 23,000 miles. Vented my frustration and dealer now says discs should be OK but pads need doing. Dealer says rear pad wear on evoque not unusual - partly caused by electronic brake - sounds like an excuse to me or an inherent defect to me!! I have had 4 audis previously all of which did 25 / 30k miles from new and never had to replace pads. Is the dealer trying to rip me off?

Has anyone else out there had to replace pads at this early stage. Should I be speaking / complaining to LR customer services? Advice please.

RR Evoque Dynamic Fuji white SD4 auto.
16-10-2013 08:31am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
duckworthparts
Site Sponsor

RE: New rear pads at 2nd service!!!!

physically checked the pads yourself?

http://www.duckworthparts.co.uk
http://www.duckworthlandrover.co.uk - Vehicle Sales
My Direct Line: 01673 849873
Email: danroberts@duckworthlandrover.co.uk

You can make a paypal directly to the email above

[Image: hwc8.jpg]
16-10-2013 08:59am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HEMMDJ

Only collected the car last night - will try and look today but can't say I would know the difference between 50% and 90% wear. Even if the dealer is right that they are worn as much as they say they are, I am just very surprised at the wear rate particularly as the front pads are apparently fine. I would have thought the front pads would have gone first!

RR Evoque 2.2 SD Auto Fuji White
16-10-2013 09:08am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

A common problem with having an electronic parking brake is that it can bind on slightly which can cause accelerated pad/ disc wear.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
16-10-2013 09:42am
rchrdleigh

Also becoming quite common on vehicles fitted with Electronic Brake Force Distribution which tends to use the rear brakes more to ensure the car stops in the most efficient and safe manner. Plenty of comments over on the Freelamder 2 Forum where members have noticed rear brake pads wearing at what appears to be a faster rate than the fronts.

Admittedly getting 23000 miles from a set of pads is well below what I'd expect in normal road use and I'd certainly get a second opinion before replacing.
16-10-2013 10:06am
speary

My last Audi A5 had an electronic parking brake and never needed rear or front pads in 45000 miles
I will be annoyed if my Evoque needs them replacing next March
Have you ever noticed that the rear wheels seem to collect more brake dust than the fronts
I would suggest that there is something wrong as on most modern cars about 70% of the braking is done by the front brakes and they always get more dirty than the rears

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
16-10-2013 05:09pm
HEMMDJ

The brake dust on the rear pads has been no more than usual and definitely less than the fronts. My last two cars, Audi A6's both had electronic brakes, did well over 30k miles and never an issues with pads - I am going to try and pursue this through land rover but I don't hold much hope!

RR Evoque 2.2 SD Auto Fuji White
17-10-2013 08:41am
speary

I have always thought that the brake discs on my Evoque look a bit small. Just checked and the fronts are 300 mm dia vented and the rears are 302 solid.
My Audi A5 which was a couple of hundred kilos lighter has 320mm dia vented front and 300 at the rears

This makes me think that maybe the brakes on the Evoque might be a bit overworked thus causing faster wear

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
17-10-2013 01:31pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

From experience of an emergency stop from about 60 mph on the motorway I can assure you that they certainly work well enough despite the "small" size. What gave me grief wasn't their power but the strange ticking noise after making the stop - it certainly took a few minutes to discover that activating the ABS/EBD also switches on the hazard warning lights which as causing the tick tick tick tick!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 17-10-2013 04:34pm by XFullFatTim.)
17-10-2013 04:34pm
Bodlyfunctions

Just had my 2nd service at 32k miles and was advised I had plenty of wear left on all corners. It must be down to how and where you drive. I spent a good deal of time on motorways and long trips so less start-stop (in theory) use of the breaks
17-10-2013 10:11pm