Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New car
Company car driver

New car

I am just about to order a SE Tech, I wanted the traffic sign recognition but have been told I need the Meridian sound and the premium HDD sat nav.

Is it worth it? The Meridian sound looks excellent, but is the premium sat nav any good?

One review said it was worse than the standard sat nav?

Also what does the Intouch plus give me without paying anything extra?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
06-04-2016 12:29pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AndyFrance

RE: New car

The Meridian 380w is pretty good.
The premium Sat Nav is a couple of years out of date.
Intouch gives you the word 'Plus' without paying any extra......Oh wait, you get a new home screen animation on MY16.

I bought the Tech pack because I wanted the 380w audio upgrade, not for the Nav. The Nav is not the latest tech, adequate is a fair description.

Best wishes

(06-04-2016 08:18pm)AndyFrance Wrote:  The Meridian 380w is pretty good.
The premium Sat Nav is a couple of years out of date.
Intouch gives you the word 'Plus' without paying any extra......Oh wait, you get a new home screen animation on MY16.

I bought the Tech pack because I wanted the 380w audio upgrade, not for the Nav. The Nav is not the latest tech, adequate is a fair description.

Best wishes

Also, you can copy upto 10 CD's onto the systems hard drive, but who does that nowadays.......not many people, it's dated.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2016 08:23pm by AndyFrance.)
06-04-2016 08:18pm
Company car driver

So the premium sat nav is worse than the normal?

Do I need hdd for traffic sign recognition?
06-04-2016 08:52pm
AndyFrance

I've never used the 'normal' Sat Nav, sorry.

Regarding the hdd. I don't know, but I'm certain someone here will let you know. If not, try to configure it online. Usually, it'll tell you if you need to upgrade if you can't have one without the other.
06-04-2016 09:11pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Yes you need HDD as the system uses both a database of road signs and a camera on the front edge of the rear view mirror and they are linked to the maps/ GPS. RSR is excellent and works with overhead gantry variable speed limit signs too! I've never had any issues with any navigation system in any Land Rover, it is streets ahead of the Mercedes system I have used a couple of years ago that couldn't cope with UK postcodes. OK so it isn't Audi MMI or BMW Professional but it isn't awful. It can be slow to load sometimes. The only problem I have ever had with it in previous LR's was on a one way system in Luton when I had to turn off into a side street to force it to recalculate after it got into a loop on the one way circuit of Luton Town Centre.................. I realised I had gone round twice and recognised the same buildings coming around again!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2016 10:20pm by XFullFatTim.)
06-04-2016 10:14pm
Company car driver

Thanks for your help. LR website reads as though RSR will work with basic intouch sat nav but bit confusing so glad I checked. Meridian sound looks cool anyway so might go for that and HDD.
06-04-2016 10:34pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Both my Evoques came with the 825w Meridian system which was good and had surround sound and a dynamic sound processing system. I now have the 380w system in my RRS and that is also pretty good but I generally listen to the radio, both spoken/ news and a little music, I also don't need the entire world outside the car to need to listen to my choice of music so play it at non ear destroying volume and I find the performance perfectly acceptable with the 380w system after the 825w.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
06-04-2016 10:41pm