Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Disco Sport
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: New Disco Sport

Mark here in the UK a lot of people don't have a gragae and need to park on the street near to their house, often our streets are not verry wide and with cars lining both sides the usable road becomes narrower still so folding mirros are essential if they are not to be knocked off by less than carefull other road users. Having powerfold is the icing on the cake as you know when you lock the car both mirrors will get folded in safely and never be forgotten about.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
29-03-2015 07:02am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Briany22

My problem is that I must have the car in the garage every night I have had this in my head for 40 + years now and one of the reasons for not buying the DS was it is just too wide to go in the garage. House builders in the UK make small garages but they also make tiny openings, I Think that I have 12 ins of wall either side of my garage door that once I am in gives me the room I need to open the door. Having had FRL2's for seven years I have come to realise how tricky it is and during this time have in fact had to replace mirrors on two occasions due to scraping past the door frame.
Thought that because the Evoque is considerably narrower than the FRL2 this would no longer be an issue this is unfortunately not the case as the Evoques mirrors are different to the FRL2 ones and the mirror folded in dimensions on both cars are nearly identical so even with the power fold mirrors it is still tight and a very hairy operation with a 36k car

2015 kaikoura stone pure Evoque auto black roof privacy fogs mud flaps mats powerfold and auto lights and wipers

Gone to new home 2012 FRL 2 SD4 GS auto with seat surgeon full leather
29-03-2015 09:28am
markdartj

(29-03-2015 09:28am)Briany22 Wrote:  My problem is that I must have the car in the garage every night I have had this in my head for 40 + years now and one of the reasons for not buying the DS was it is just too wide to go in the garage. House builders in the UK make small garages but they also make tiny openings, I Think that I have 12 ins of wall either side of my garage door that once I am in gives me the room I need to open the door. Having had FRL2's for seven years I have come to realise how tricky it is and during this time have in fact had to replace mirrors on two occasions due to scraping past the door frame.
Thought that because the Evoque is considerably narrower than the FRL2 this would no longer be an issue this is unfortunately not the case as the Evoques mirrors are different to the FRL2 ones and the mirror folded in dimensions on both cars are nearly identical so even with the power fold mirrors it is still tight and a very hairy operation with a 36k car

OK, now I understand. What I don't get is why LR didn't have the mirrors fold more than they do. It seems like they went through all the trouble to have folding mirrors, but only gave them a couple of inches. They came on the car I have, but it wouldn't have been a deal breaker if they hadn't. The only time I really use them (other than when they automatically fold when the car is locked) is when I am on a ferry boat. My old car's mirrors folded almost flat against the side of the car. With the Evoque, they don't fold enough to make the exercise worthwhile. Cheers

2014 Fuji White Pure PremiumWink
29-03-2015 09:04pm
bee

(29-03-2015 09:04pm)markdartj Wrote:  OK, now I understand. What I don't get is why LR didn't have the mirrors fold more than they do. It seems like they went through all the trouble to have folding mirrors, but only gave them a couple of inches. They came on the car I have, but it wouldn't have been a deal breaker if they hadn't. The only time I really use them (other than when they automatically fold when the car is locked) is when I am on a ferry boat. My old car's mirrors folded almost flat against the side of the car. With the Evoque, they don't fold enough to make the exercise worthwhile. Cheers

I fully agree, in fact my evo doesn't have them, I fold them manually as required. they appear to fold in more than the auto fold ones do.Confused

2013 auto sicillian yellow special edition. with all the goodies supplied with this model.
29-03-2015 09:12pm
Briany22

I never thought that a manual fold would be be better than a power fold must give it a try

2015 kaikoura stone pure Evoque auto black roof privacy fogs mud flaps mats powerfold and auto lights and wipers

Gone to new home 2012 FRL 2 SD4 GS auto with seat surgeon full leather
29-03-2015 09:53pm
bee

(29-03-2015 09:53pm)Briany22 Wrote:  I never thought that a manual fold would be be better than a power fold must give it a try
yep its just a matter of remembering to unfold before driving off, but easy to unfold after window is opened. Surprised

2013 auto sicillian yellow special edition. with all the goodies supplied with this model.
(This post was last modified: 30-03-2015 01:11pm by bee.)
30-03-2015 01:11pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Grange Garage had what I think was an HSE version in white with a Contrast roof on the showroom floor - I was disappointed to see that the large lump of grey plastic trim on the bonnet just below the windscreen looked very cheap and fragile. When will LR learn that large expanses of grey plastic on the body get badly degraded by sunlight and look even cheaper a couple of years after purchase.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
30-03-2015 02:00pm
J77

No doubt the pedestrian airbag will get colour coded through time.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
30-03-2015 02:15pm
jcarrot

(29-03-2015 09:28am)Briany22 Wrote:  My problem is that I must have the car in the garage every night I have had this in my head for 40 + years now and one of the reasons for not buying the DS was it is just too wide to go in the garage. House builders in the UK make small garages but they also make tiny openings, I Think that I have 12 ins of wall either side of my garage door that once I am in gives me the room I need to open the door. Having had FRL2's for seven years I have come to realise how tricky it is and during this time have in fact had to replace mirrors on two occasions due to scraping past the door frame.

I think you will find that the Evoque body is actually wider than FRL2 by about 3 inches, the mirrors are more recessed, the mirrors on the Evoque when folded are only 2 inches wider than the widest part of the car ( the front wings )
I too like to put my car away in the garage every night and have had some traumatic moments until I put 2 sleepers on edge side by side to guide the wheels in. The sleepers were put at a slight angle to save scuffing the wheels. The folded mirrors are a pretty good guide to getting close to the garage pillars.
It is still quite tight getting in and out of the car but I find it a pretty good incentive for keeping my weight down !
30-03-2015 02:42pm
markdartj

Am I correct in assuming that if I try to fold my "power folding mirrors" manually, it may damage the power mechanism?

2014 Fuji White Pure PremiumWink
30-03-2015 04:52pm