Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Disco Sport
Evo-king

RE: New Disco Sport

From the reports I've read, it is being built in the new factory.

I'm getting bombarded with stuff from Jaguar at the moment, but nothing of any great interest.

I have an invite for the XE launch, I wont be going down the XE route though, but it will be interesting to see how the car feels and what the engines are like.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
23-01-2015 08:42pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
m_101

Tim they also changed the badging from Land Rover to Range Rover and changed the rear bumper a little. But I agree they already had tons of orders and knew it was a winner before they even got the production line rolling.
I'm going to probably try to wait until the middle of 2016 and get a slightly used F-Pace and give the Evoque to the wife. Let's see what the resale values are like, because at the moment Jags seem to depreciate quite a bit in the first year!

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
(This post was last modified: 25-01-2015 12:36pm by m_101.)
25-01-2015 12:36pm
Tony

(25-01-2015 12:36pm)m_101 Wrote:  at the moment Jags seem to depreciate quite a bit in the first year!

So do Evoques! We have been offered very low prices on our 7 month old Dynamic Lux in exchange for a similar age F Type. If we had kept our old Evoque, which would now be 3 years old, it would be worth just £5k less than our current one.

The F Pace looks an interesting concept, better ride and hopefully far better built than the Evoque but I wait to see one in the metal. The current images on the Internet probably don't do it justice because if you plonk and Audi grill on it could be mistaken for next Q5.

For us the DS is a non starter, its lost FL2's command driving position, we don't need 7 seats, don't do a school run, its about as inspiring as my neighbours Hyundai Santa Claus except that costs £15+ less, does the same job, came with a standard 5 year warrantee and the trim does not creak and rattle.

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
(This post was last modified: 25-01-2015 08:46pm by Tony.)
25-01-2015 01:03pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The F-Pace ( should that not be the name of a racing car rather than a wobbly SUV?) also could very easily be mistaken for a fugly Cayenne or Macan from the rear ¾ view and back.......

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
26-01-2015 05:03am
Tony

(26-01-2015 05:03am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  The F-Pace ( should that not be the name of a racing car rather than a wobbly SUV?) also could very easily be mistaken for a fugly Cayenne or Macan from the rear ¾ view and back.......

Tim, I don't expect the F Pace to be wobbly, it will probably drive very well for the class of vehicle. How good it is may well be down to the engines, I don't think the new 2lts (petrol or diesel) will be man enough, if it follows the concept car its about 350mm longer than the Evoque. The 3lt V6 supercharged will hit emmissions and fuel consumption, not read anything about a larger capacity diesel being available but something like Audi's 3lt V6 twin turbo diesel would be ideal for our requirements. I read the 2lt engines are aiming it against the same capacity Audi Q5 and BMW X3, have driven both of these and thought they were underpowered, OK for the school run but no good up here.

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
(This post was last modified: 26-01-2015 11:36am by Tony.)
26-01-2015 11:22am
J77

Just an observation, why worry about the DS not having the command driving postion when you have an Evoque Confused

The DS IMO is far better built car than the Evoque, the one I test drove had no creeks or rattles over potholes but that could all go out the window when LR start to rush them out to meet demand.

A lot of Fl2 owners are up in arms, "LR have abandoned us" blah blah blah. Bo:censored:ks they didn't care in the first place. One member even claims the DS just looks cheap and nasty, yet this member bought a white Fl2 dynamic with red interior and got a Kahn conversion LaughingLaughing

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
26-01-2015 12:33pm
Tony

(26-01-2015 12:33pm)J77 Wrote:  Just an observation, why worry about the DS not having the command driving postion when you have an Evoque Confused

The DS IMO is far better built car than the Evoque, the one I test drove had no creeks or rattles over potholes but that could all go out the window when LR start to rush them out to meet demand.

A lot of Fl2 owners are up in arms, "LR have abandoned us" blah blah blah. Bo:censored:ks they didn't care in the first place. One member even claims the DS just looks cheap and nasty, yet this member bought a white Fl2 dynamic with red interior and got a Kahn conversion LaughingLaughing

We traded the command driving position of FL2 to move to a 'Prestige' vehicle (at a 'Prestige' price) but thats where it ended. Other than the branding (and price tag) the Evoque shares none of the qualities of the larger models. Evoque suffers from poor build quality, cheap interior plastics, poor ride quality and excessive road noise in the cabin.

No doubt the early or pre production DSs are well put together, so were the early Evoques we drove and we all know what happend when demand outstripped production capacity. The DS is made of many Evoque bits, in the same factory and on the same production line. If they have not fixed Evoque build quality in over three years of production, then it does not bode well for the DS.

In the end I don't like the DS as a package, not because it does not directly replace the FL2. Those that morne the passing of FL2 are just luddites resisting change, things progess - or should! There is nothing upcoming in the LR range that interests us without spending silly money, so we are looking elsewhere. We don't do brand loyalty and manufactures have no loyalty to customers.

(This post was last modified: 26-01-2015 05:36pm by Tony.)
26-01-2015 01:05pm
smokeyhill

I was fortunate to take the new DS sport out for a test drive a few weeks back. I was warned it was pre-production but on the road seemed well enough put together and pretty sound. Ride was slightly smoother than my Evoque pure, but not a great deal smoother. Steering felt ever so slightly lighter than the evoque but again only slightly and to be honest i was looking really hard to compare it to the evoque. And that may be unfair if it is a freelander replacement but fet it was fair as it was of comparable price.

Overall my impression was it felt very much like an evqoue to drive but the interior was not as high quality. Seats were very comfy, and the gear change on the auto was super smooth.

The evoque's best bit for me is the quality of the finish in the cabin with a sporty drive. And I really felt the finish is not of the same quality imho and the drive was fairly conservative. So i went in curious to see if it was going to be my next car after the evoque, and came away thinking definitely not. I understand its 'more practical' with extra seats etc. But the evoque is practical enough for me and my family.
All very subjective of course, your mileage may vary.

SD4 Pure, 5 door, White with Lunar interior, Fogs, Pano, Style 4 wheels, Mats, Auto lights and wipers.
31-01-2015 12:21am
genericd

New Disco Sport

(31-01-2015 12:21am)smokeyhill Wrote:  I was fortunate to take the new DS sport out for a test drive a few weeks back. I was warned it was pre-production but on the road seemed well enough put together and pretty sound. Ride was slightly smoother than my Evoque pure, but not a great deal smoother. Steering felt ever so slightly lighter than the evoque but again only slightly and to be honest i was looking really hard to compare it to the evoque. And that may be unfair if it is a freelander replacement but fet it was fair as it was of comparable price.

Overall my impression was it felt very much like an evqoue to drive but the interior was not as high quality. Seats were very comfy, and the gear change on the auto was super smooth.

The evoque's best bit for me is the quality of the finish in the cabin with a sporty drive. And I really felt the finish is not of the same quality imho and the drive was fairly conservative. So i went in curious to see if it was going to be my next car after the evoque, and came away thinking definitely not. I understand its 'more practical' with extra seats etc. But the evoque is practical enough for me and my family.
All very subjective of course, your mileage may vary.

Nice little review. Cheers [emoji106]
31-01-2015 03:17am
timhum

After 2 1/2 years of Evoque ownership we placed an order for a Disco Sport this week.
The Evoque has be a great car, totally reliable with no visits to our dealer other than for regular services. We are changing it because we need a larger vehicle, particularly one with more luggage space.
The Disco Sport drove excellently, very much like the Evoque although with better steering and a more 'planted feel' on the road. The 9 speed gearbox is very good indeed. The interior is not quite up to Evoque standards but very satisfactory. My only concern is around the launch of the new engines but I believe that the roll-out of the higher powered diesel engines will be at least a year way and the present engine is not that bad.
Prior to testing the DS we considered trading to to a RR Sport so rented one for 11 days for a trip over to Switzerland (one of our regular journeys). It was a very good car with which I could find no criticism other than price, it really doesn't (in my opinion) justify a cost of £25k over the Evoque or Disco Sport.
So decision made, a Disco Sport HSE, auto in Corris grey with a Cirrus interior with a delivery date of late March or early April. Extras added were, memory seats, style 902 wheels, space saver spare wheel, heated steering wheel and the service plan.

Tim
Evoque SD4 Pure Tech, Auto, Orkney, Panoramic roof, dipping and folding mirrors
31-01-2015 11:49am