Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My Love Hate List
Pedalpower

RE: My Love Hate List

I read this thread with interest, so thanks to ajmooseman for posting, your comments about the keyless start made me smile, my Mrs asked me about how it worked, once i explained she said that seems like a hassle, what do you do with the key, once its out of the pocket, or handbag etc, upon reflection i added kelyess entry to my order. As you said, one without the other seems odd and leave you just putting the key in the cup holder, when infact a normal key would be more use and it has a secure slot\lock to hold it.

i must admit when i have test driven the RRE the key was just rattling around in the cup holder etc, i wonder if the car was meant to be totally kelyess from the start but they moved entry as a option to make a bit more case, or even reduce the price of the base car !
15-11-2011 01:10pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dandavis1

I wonder if all RREs are totally keyless (my handles have the two lines where you touch it to lock it) but the keyless entry part simply isn't enabled unless its paid for. Wonder if it can be activated after delivery?
15-11-2011 02:41pm
RacingSnake

I suspect it would be a different keyfob? as it'll need some form of receiver chip in it to continuously "listen" for the car, that and maybe some signal boosters in the doors/boot?
I'm sure it could be retrofitted but suspect it's mroe than just enabling. (just a guess though).
15-11-2011 02:45pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Evoqess

(15-11-2011 01:10pm)Pedalpower Wrote:  i must admit when i have test driven the RRE the key was just rattling around in the cup holder etc, i wonder if the car was meant to be totally kelyess from the start but they moved entry as a option to make a bit more case, or even reduce the price of the base car !

Interesting. My cup holders are rubber lined so no rattling of anything. Also rubber lined is the "pass through" storage area between driver and passenger. But I prefer my pocket for the key (keeping it simple).
I'm actually perplexed by keyless entry: I've read some drivers swipe the drivers door handle to lock the car. To me that's like walking up to a TV and turning it off (when the remote is in your hand!).
For me keyless entry holds little allure.

Evoque fan who used to drive Shocked a Pure, Fuji, 19" style 4 alloys, heated everything, rear cam, power tailgate, pan roof, privacy glass etc
15-11-2011 09:53pm
ajmooseman

Evoqess. My cup holders are metal/ metal look in the bottom, deffo not rubber. Funny I never thought of the "pass though" as a storage area must take a closer look!

Disclaimer: FAO of Mark_n and others it may concern
While all efforts will be made to delivery statements in English. I can only apologize for any spelling or grammar mistakes made while posting my thoughts and opinions. If any post featuring such mistakes should offend, then tough SH*T!
15-11-2011 09:59pm
mark_n

The problem I have with keyless entry is the lack of a more overt locking action when you leave the car which leads to nagging doubts - did I or didn't I? The early Mercedes cards had LEDs on the fob which show whether the car was locked when you walked away and they are very useful but were sadly dumped when they realised, as Land Rover do, that the fob has to have a metal key on board to get you into the car if the car's battery is flat or where there are strong radio signals which can swamp the puny signals from the fob, such as at airports.

So, I too think keyless entry is not worth the bother; keyless go is fine and your pocket is the best place to keep the fob while in the car.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
(This post was last modified: 16-11-2011 08:13am by mark_n.)
16-11-2011 08:11am
griff

I don't have a problem with keyless egress. you place your finger in the grooves, the doors click, mirrors fold and the indicators flash. What do you want, a fanfare? Laughing

I just keep the key in my shirt or trouser pocket (preferably shirt). I had it on the BMW for four years and its working well on the Evoque. I find it brilliant when i have my hands full of Laptop and papers but don't use it all the time. I never place it in the car, there is no need, I just have it about my person.

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
(This post was last modified: 16-11-2011 08:26am by griff.)
16-11-2011 08:25am
Token

I have been quite vocal about Keyless entry previously, saying that I didn't like it and it annoyed me a little that it came with the Lux Pack...but I have since changed my mind!

Firstly, I didn't realise that the Evoque came with Keyless Start as standard...and that would have really annoyed me...nowhere to put the key when in the car, but no benefits on entry or exit! The worst of both worlds!

Secondly, it is really good when accessing the car...I would say it's needed or it adds huge value, but it is good nonetheless. To lock the car, I don't touch the handle between the lines, I just use the key fob like I would if I didn't have Keyless...it is easier and quicker.

So for me, no huge benefit but no issue either...I keep the key in my jacket pocket if I'm wearing one or in the storage area next to the Cup Holders if I'm not...I don't forget it because that's where I keep my phone and wallett anyway (I don't like keeping things in my pocket).

My other half on the other hand, just keeps the key in her handbag at all times and thinks it's brilliant.

Mark_n...the mirrors fold in when you lock the car (assuming you have this setting enabled) so you know when it's locked.

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
16-11-2011 10:05am
mark_n

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about the giant elephant ears being stowed out of harm's way.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
16-11-2011 10:24am
BOBM4N

I shall keep my key in the sun visor (unless it's sunny)

Then, at the end of every journey I can reenact those never forgotten movie moments of finding the keys in the sun visor - cue surprise as they drop into my lap Smile

Also, if you use Google Chrome it has a built in spell checker Smile

Finally Arrived 06/02/12 Very Happy :

Dynamic SD4 Auto - Fuji White/Vortex, Pan Roof, Privacy
16-11-2011 10:49am