Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mpg
jjgray

RE: Mpg

The big factors as far as I can see is
(i) Auto is thirstier than Manual (the road taxt is doublem which should tell you something. One reason the Auto will be thirstier in traffic is that it lacks the auto-sotp-start and
(ii) driving style. No two drivers or drive will be the same.

My SD4 manual gave me around 38.5-39mpg through the summer which has dropped for around 37.5 in the colder weather. Driving is a mixture of communiting mixed rural & town, plus some motorway drives, some with luggage and bikes on the roof. "Motorway" could be at 80-90 for some people, at 60 for others. Huge differences in MPG come from these factors. I deliberately did not set the climate control to cool the interior much in the summer. Could be a big factor if you're one of those that do.

Tim's right about it guzzling when going uphill; it's a heavy car. Not sure about cruising in neutral though Smile. I am starting to favour engine breaking, just because as I imagin the battery needs to be kept fit for the auto stop-start to be effective. No idea whether that's a serious effect though.

To be honest I was fearing around 30mph when I bought it, so I am well satisfied & pleased I avoided the auto (don' like Autos anyway, though the new 9-speed could be worthy).

Comparison with a lightweight thing like a TT will never look good, but I found the Evoque makes a good attempt at being green, at least in the manual version. I would not have bought a full fat LR or RR out of embarassement at the MPG figures. After getting the Evoque I changed my usual route to work to avoid the more twisty and hilly roads (sounds sad but this was partly to avoid scratchy overgrown hedges on the new paint Smile, but I still give it a healthy spurt on the twisty roads to get home in time for tea, or for overtaking.
10-12-2013 02:51pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
whatnine

I just got my RRE and its been 3000km. Its a great ride but i have been averaging 14.4 l/100km which is incredibly bad. I used to drive a 370z with 332bhp and i got 11 l/100 so i don't have a really heavy foot. Is this going to get better after the first oil change?! Sad
11-12-2013 06:22am
speary

(10-12-2013 02:51pm)jjgray Wrote:  Tim's right about it guzzling when going uphill; it's a heavy car. Not sure about cruising in neutral though Smile. I am starting to favour engine breaking, just because as I imagin the battery needs to be kept fit for the auto stop-start to be effective. No idea whether that's a serious effect though.

Cruising in neutral uses fuel to keep the engine spinning. Using engine braking uses no fuel as the injectors don't fire when the throttle is closed and the engine is kept spinning by the wheels through the transmission. I think this is more effective in a manual though

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
12-12-2013 02:29pm
PhilSkill

(12-12-2013 02:29pm)speary Wrote:  Cruising in neutral uses fuel to keep the engine spinning. Using engine braking uses no fuel as the injectors don't fire when the throttle is closed and the engine is kept spinning by the wheels through the transmission. I think this is more effective in a manual though

+1, keep your foot off the throttle pedal and moving in gear for minimalist fuel use.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
13-12-2013 01:29am
Jdo330

Mpg

I get around 24 / 27mpg no matter what I do. Town, motorway or towing a caravan. SD4 auto, wish it was better solo.
30-04-2014 11:40pm
shortnick

I have had my SD4 for about 8 months and have done just over 8000 miles. In that time I have kept Trip A going from the first journey and it is telling me that I have averaged 38.5 mpg. Trip B is currently on just over 1000 miles and that is showing 40.2mpg, which shows that the mpg is improving with age. I do drive relatively conservatively and my commute is a pretty steady 45-55 mph on an A road, but the journey Trip mpg even nudged 50 mpg the other day! I'd just like to add that my last car was a hybrid, which demands a different driving style, and I have probably carried that over into the Evoque; however, I have no complaints about the mpg - it's better than my wife's 25mpg in her 2.0L petrol CR-V!!!
01-05-2014 10:45am
PhilSkill

It gets good MPG if you do a lot of steady 40-60 I find (petrol or diesel), but speed, hills and acceleration seem to kill the MPG disproportionately to other cars i've owned, even if driven carefully.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
01-05-2014 02:09pm
mark_n

Yes, the Evoque has some things counting against it which will impact consumption as Phil mentions. A large cross sectional area creates more air resistance and consumption increases noticeably with higher speed. The car is quite heavy and the energy used in both acceleration and hill climbing increase in proportion to a car's weight. Finally, if your car has full-time four wheel drive, there's more friction getting everything turning which uses fuel.

The usual fuel saving tips apply - make sure your tyres are properly inflated, don't carry around stuff in the car you don't need, lift off completely as soon as you know you are going to need to stop etc etc.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
01-05-2014 05:08pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Couple of things I have found with the 9 speed auto SD4 are that heavy acceleration has less impact on fuel figures than it did in the 6 speeder and also if you are running at 55-60mph the car is a bit more econonical running in 8th gear at 1600 rpm than it is running on the same road in 9th at 1200/1300 rpm - the gear box will not shift into 9th automatically at 1600rpm but will shift up to 9th if you use the + paddle. 1200/1300 must be just off peak torque so while the engine will run happily it is labouring and burns more fuel, so if your 9 speeder won't upshift automatically at 55/60mph don't worry or force it up as you will use more fuel in 9th than you would in 8th at peak torque. I'm now getting trip average mpg's of 46 and today on my usual run stuck behind a truck doing 50mph and unable to overtake for 11 miles on a flat road I got it up to 54mpg! With the last Evoque I was filling up every 7-9 days, I can now make a tankful of tractor juice last 10-14 days. My Fuelly in my signature hasn't updated since the 1st tankful of diesel I put in a month ago, so don't believe it

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2014 07:35pm by XFullFatTim.)
01-05-2014 07:31pm
speary

Peak torque on the SD4 is at 1750 or possibly 1850 rpm, I can't quite remember. Not sure what the torque curve looks like up to peak or how long it stays there as the revs build but I would reckon that there isn't much at 1200 rpm

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
02-05-2014 02:17pm