Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MY14 Mirror Size v Original
BFGEvoqueMan

RE: MY14 Mirror Size v Original

(07-12-2013 03:51pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  how do you fit all the gadgets that need the mirrors for support - puddle lights, wading sensors, surround cams and BLIS sensors on the casing of the smaller ones?

Tim,

Good point; not sure they will amke fitting towing mirrors very easy as they drop off alot to the outsideSadSad

BFG

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
07-12-2013 04:08pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
benzina

(07-12-2013 03:36pm)BFGEvoqueMan Wrote:  Those mirrors are actually folded in; the current cars also look as thought they are not from certain anglesShocked

No, i think you might of mis-read what i was trying point out... Yes they are folded in, but they don't seem to be folded in the full 90 degrees like some other makers mirrors are able to do. These seem a 45 degree turn like the originals.

(07-12-2013 03:51pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I prefer the old style mirrors but is there going to be a problem with the smaller ones............... how do you fit all the gadgets that need the mirrors for support - puddle lights, wading sensors, surround cams and BLIS sensors on the casing of the smaller ones?

Not sure, but i just assume a wiring harness goes through the narrow fixed arm that supports the mirror shell, and then for example, the ordered mirror is specified with the systems that the car supports, then just plug and play....thats the theory anywayIdeaSmile

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 01:29am by benzina.)
08-12-2013 01:17am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I consider there to be one point that nobody has picked up on, and we have to thank LR for doing something about it even if it took some time. There were concerns expressed by a few owners that they had an issue with visibility around the larger wing mirrors, Land Rover have read the complaints and done something about it and for that small change in attitude to their customers I think we have to thank them. In the days before websites and publicly visible customer feed-back dealers would have reported back to the management at LR and nothing would have changed until DVLA/ Homologation Authorities had considered the design to be dangerous, thanks to the likes of Pete@Land Rover and customer services becoming involved in the forum at least some drips of our feed-back are getting through.......... now when will we get the not legally required daylight operating tail lights? If changes to the mirror design were not legally required then there is no reason on this earth why the wiring loom/switches cannot be changed to allow daylight running tail lights and it would cost nothing compared to changing a mirror design!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 02:34pm by XFullFatTim.)
08-12-2013 08:19am
BFGEvoqueMan

(08-12-2013 01:17am)benzina Wrote:  No, i think you might of mis-read what i was trying point out... Yes they are folded in, but they don't seem to be folded in the full 90 degrees like some other makers mirrors are able to do. These seem a 45 degree turn like the originals.

Apologies; you are absolutely rightVery Happy

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
08-12-2013 10:22am
Jeroma

(30-11-2013 11:15am)benzina Wrote:  On further analysis towards the pro's and cons of the new smaller mirror vs original larger mirror, i think....
(1) The bigger the mirror, the more rearward visibility you get. (Original mirror wins)
(2) The smaller the mirror, the better forward visibility over & around the mirror you get. (New mirror wins)
(3) Which design looks best,and suits the Evoque more? I can only go on pictures so far, but right now i

Following this thread I made some checks yesterday on a 100km motoway drive, including the use of the rear camera.
The consensus was:
If your field of vision is normal, about 180deg and you set the mirrors so that the drivers side just points along the car there will be no dead angle, this is only valid on a straight lane.
In so far I was able, while looking straight ahead, to spot a car beside me just before it disapeared in the mirror.
Must say the rear camera has such a wide angle that a following car is displayed until it has almost overtaken you.
As with all panoramic mirrors the distances to an object following you is not realistic.

Evoque MY2014 ED4 Pure Tech in Aintree Green - Almond/Expresso, priv. glass, rear camera etc...
other cars in house: Renault Megane CC
1960 Triumph TR3A in BRG - on Webers
1970 Triumph TR6PI in jasmine on EFI
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013 12:15pm by Martin.)
09-12-2013 11:12am
RacingSnake

Has anyone got any new thoughts on the 'new' mirror fitment onto old cars?
still interested to hear if this can be easily done.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
08-04-2014 09:17pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
harrydor

(28-11-2013 05:24am)benzina Wrote:  O.k.... so here we have the 2014 Model Year mirrors in a side by side comparison, and yes, it appears the view out and around the mirror now is better on the MY14.
I might wrong (if someone could ask the question down at the factory that would be great), but it looks like LD may have been smart enough to simply redesign the new smaller shell casing onto the existing original fixed extender arm of which it pivots on.
If this is proven true, then perhaps the new MY14 casing could simply be retro fitted onto the existing original extender arms without any complication.
The fixed extender arm on both versions look identical in shape,size,and length.
It's a very interesting question i hope someone can find out.
Also, i would like to know if the new mirrors pivot further around when retracting in?

MY14
[Image: 3402f0f7-6429-4302-af3d-3ed0d5954dbe_zps2b2610c1.jpg]
Original
[Image: fcb8d3c2-7b2a-495d-a06f-0aaa518d29c0_zpsc7286ddf.jpg]
MY14
[Image: c715e137-912a-484b-8c31-97a87fe223af_zps8070537f.jpg]
Original
[Image: 1c275d20-5a75-46a9-be83-8f6ee5b24087_zps00b409be.jpg]

Hi had a loan car last week a xf jag the mirrors on the jag look the same as the 2014 evoque
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2014 09:29pm by harrydor.)
08-04-2014 09:27pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The only difference I can see is that LR has chopped off the inner edge of them to make a bigger "wind gap" between the A pillar and the mirror, they don't fold in any further and the base is well up to holding all the extra bits for the various toys. I had no issue with the originals but appreciate the reduced wind noise between the A pillar and the mirror cowling

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
08-04-2014 10:42pm
Ben

My wife has just had a relatively minor accident in her 2012 Evoque, most likely due to its, larger mirror size so I'm wondering if anyone can let me know if it has actually been made possible to change the 2012 mirror to the smaller 2014 one as dealers here in Australia say they have not even heard of it ?

Any advice will most likely be available in the future!
14-09-2015 10:43am
Ben

Can anyone please assist with an answer to my post below ?

"My wife has just had a relatively minor accident in her 2012 Evoque, most likely due to its larger mirror size so I'm wondering if anyone can let me know if it has actually been made possible to change the 2012 mirror to the smaller 2014 one as dealers here in Australia say they have not even heard of it ? "
26-09-2015 09:27am