Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MY14 Mirror Size v Original
benzina

RE: MY14 Mirror Size v Original

On further analysis towards the pro's and cons of the new smaller mirror vs original larger mirror, i think....
(1) The bigger the mirror, the more rearward visibility you get. (Original mirror wins)
(2) The smaller the mirror, the better forward visibility over & around the mirror you get. (New mirror wins)
(3) Which design looks best,and suits the Evoque more? I can only go on pictures so far, but right now i would say that in my personal view, the Original wins on looks. I think the original design is certainly chunkier looking,and unique, like the Evoque itself. The originals are actually feature in themselves,and make a statement, where as the new design just appears sort of normalised now, like a lot of other mirrors around. (Original wins)

In summery,a strange dilemma then.... new one offers better forward vision,but slightly less aesthetic appeal overall.
Mmmm....Maybe the originals (designed and born along side the Evoque) just seem to exude the very essence of the Evoque design language...bold, radical, sharp,chunky, and yet because of this, not entirely practical for everyone. They are perhaps just another good example where bold form took some precedence over balanced function. Mmmmm...this is the reason why we have always found the Evoque design sooo desirable.

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 30-11-2013 02:47pm by benzina.)
30-11-2013 11:15am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
broady43

I have just had a near miss on a roundabout.I didn't see the car until the last second.

5 door Pure sd4 Tech Fuji with black roof, tinted windows, ebony seats, style 4 alloys, xenons, fogs,black grille.
Arrived 29/03/2012.
30-11-2013 06:36pm
Donny Dog

Does the smaller mirror reflect the design change? Wink
30-11-2013 10:45pm
benzina

I think i won't pass full judgement on the new mirror until i actually get to sit in the drivers seat of a 2014, and see how much more real world driver seat visibility you get over & around that casing.
I've tried to take the picture inside my 2012 from the same position as that 2014 pic, and judging from this, it looks like the biggest difference will be the newly created widened gap shape just above the fixed arm, and in-between the A-Pillar & shell casing,which has been created from lessening the depth and profile of the shell casing.
The downward sloping profile of the top edge,looks to be the only other bit that will give just that little bit more visibility,otherwise it will seem quite similar from the inside i think.
It's interesting to note, that manufacturers choose either one of two ways in which to mount the mirrors on the car... either
(1) From the actual door panel...see Cayenne / Macan
(2) From the window frame corner... Evoque

....and while the door panel mount will always offer better visibility due to the arm being further down, i'm can see why LD chose the the window frame corner mount - they wanted an undisturbed profile of the stunning shape. Again form over function for the stunning Evoque. It's hard to have it all,and i think they are trying to strike a balance now,but perhaps may have they taken away a touch of character too?

[Image: 3402f0f7-6429-4302-af3d-3ed0d5954dbe_zps2b2610c1.jpg]

Original
[Image: fcb8d3c2-7b2a-495d-a06f-0aaa518d29c0_zpsc7286ddf.jpg]

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2013 01:20pm by benzina.)
01-12-2013 01:48am
mocha

i'm in AUS and from my understanding MY14 vehicles won't arrive til early next week.

I either way for another 2 months or place an order!, decisions, decisions
01-12-2013 10:31am
benzina

Here's another one of my questions answered...Looks like the smaller 2014 mirrors don't fold in any more then the originals do....

Click on image to see full size..

I would have thought that being smaller in size, they may have been able to make them retract around fully like others cars do... where the mirror face ends up parallel with the window glass.
Anyway,from this observation, we can probably conclude that their's has been no change in the mechanics either.... should the 2014 shell casing be a straight forward fix to the original arm job.

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2013 01:37am by benzina.)
04-12-2013 01:53am
speary

To avoid any doubt about mirror blind spots, always do a shoulder check after looking in the mirror (left or right)

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
05-12-2013 09:44am
mocha

For anyone that has picked up a MY14 recently how has this improved compared to the old version?
07-12-2013 12:48pm
BFGEvoqueMan

(04-12-2013 01:53am)benzina Wrote:  Here's another one of my questions answered...Looks like the smaller 2014 mirrors don't fold in any more then the originals do....

Click on image to see full size..

I would have thought that being smaller in size, they may have been able to make them retract around fully like others cars do... where the mirror face ends up parallel with the window glass.
Anyway,from this observation, we can probably conclude that their's has been no change in the mechanics either.... should the 2014 shell casing be a straight forward fix to the original arm job.

Those mirrors are actually folded in; the current cars also look as thought they are not from certain anglesShocked

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
07-12-2013 03:36pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Seeing that picture of a Zanzibar coloured car, I'm glad I went with the Black Pack now!
Normally alloy wheels don't look quite right somehow.

I prefer the old style mirrors but is there going to be a problem with the smaller ones............... how do you fit all the gadgets that need the mirrors for support - puddle lights, wading sensors, surround cams and BLIS sensors on the casing of the smaller ones?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
07-12-2013 03:51pm