Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
MPG... What's the problem?
timhum

RE: MPG... What's the problem?

Did a test today whilst travelling to visit my daughter, a distance of 46 miles of which 12 is country roads leading to a dual carriageway for 28 miles and then 6 miles on town roads. At 2 miles fuel consumption 20mpg, at 6 miles 24mpg, at 10 miles 28 mpg whilst 30 mpg came up at 13 miles with a final figure of 35 mpg for the total journey. The car is an SD auto with 9.5k on the speedo. I think it demonstrates how a cold start severely hits consumption and once the engine is warm through it improves considerably. Many short journeys could easily account for the horrendous consumptions figures some forum members are achieving.
03-03-2013 09:03pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GRiDlockUK

Just joined the BABYRR as i'm looking to buy an Evoque this year. Initial impressions is that the car looks fantastic, the interior is way above anything else in the price range and the TD4 190 MPG is reasonable....

...but thats was based on on the LR brochure which seems like joke figures compared to what people really get. My current Toyota gets within a few percent of claimed but sites are showing the Evoque is about 75% of claimed!!

Performance (Manufacturer's Estimates) SD4 Manual
Maximum speed mph (kph) 124 (200)
Acceleration 0-60mph (0-100kph) seconds 9.5 (10.0)
Urban mpg (L/100km) 42.2 (6.7)
Extra urban mpg (L/100km) 54.3 (5.2)
Combined mpg (L/100km) 49.6 (5.7)
CO₂ emissions (g/km) 149
07-03-2013 04:26pm
ED209

(07-03-2013 04:26pm)GRiDlockUK Wrote:  Just joined the BABYRR as i'm looking to buy an Evoque this year. Initial impressions is that the car looks fantastic, the interior is way above anything else in the price range and the TD4 190 MPG is reasonable....

...but thats was based on on the LR brochure which seems like joke figures compared to what people really get. My current Toyota gets within a few percent of claimed but sites are showing the Evoque is about 75% of claimed!!

Performance (Manufacturer's Estimates) SD4 Manual
Maximum speed mph (kph) 124 (200)
Acceleration 0-60mph (0-100kph) seconds 9.5 (10.0)
Urban mpg (L/100km) 42.2 (6.7)
Extra urban mpg (L/100km) 54.3 (5.2)
Combined mpg (L/100km) 49.6 (5.7)
CO₂ emissions (g/km) 149

75% of claimed is exactly what i got over a year.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
07-03-2013 07:50pm
EpicEvo

Just done my first 1000 miles...
Started by getting 33mpg when I first got the car.

Now I'm getting 36mpg...

I have nothing to complain about! Lol
10-03-2013 09:16pm
Teetree

[Image: ehe5enyh.jpg]

After a brief visit to the dealer to get a little bit of plastic replaced on the steering wheel, the car felt a lot more responsive and smoother. They did a quick wash and vacuumed inside but not sure if they did anything else as I managed the amazing 43.1mpg on a short trip home that normally yields 33-35 mpg average. Must be a one off glitch no? either that or there must have been a heck of a lot of dust in my car before hand weighing it down!:)
16-03-2013 01:55pm
cardiffevoque

Fuel economy is a real let down for me too. I have noticed that on a trip to London the other day, on a long stretch of 40 mph I managed to eek out 46mpg. This is far from normal though. 33-35 mpg is much more the norm. Even with start-stop on my SD4 manual I really can't say I'm getting better mpg than even the auto models quoted on here. The only good thing is the manual is less expensive on road tax!

I notice this week's Auto Express has an article on a new hi-tech 9-speed auto heading for the Evoque to try and improve economy. So we'll see how that performs...

SD4 Dynamic, 5 door, manual, Firenze Red with Fuji roof, adaptive headlights, auto dimming mirror, spare wheel Very Happy
16-03-2013 02:49pm
Filski

After the dealer experiences I decided to remind myself of why I bought the evoque in the first place... And went on a drive for the sake of it ;c)

Only a little over 200km on the car at the start I covered 103km. About 50% is gently hilly freeway which was done on cruise control at 110kph, the rest is quite hilly suburban or country roads including around 10km of windy fun where I didn't spare any throttle. The final figure was 7.4l/100km or 38mpg.

I was careful on the urban stuff but not ridiculously so - I wasn't left behind at lights but didn't pull away from anyone either. I did use the paddles to shift up as soon as it hit 1800revs or so and the car 'learned' to keep it below 1700. The fun stuff was done in S with paddles keeping revs high.

I'm fairly happy with that. Suspect I can do better than 7 on a proper freeway run but we are strictly limited to 110 in oz so wind resistance will be less of an issue than the motorway speeds I got used to in the UK.
19-03-2013 12:49pm
mirage

I have pan roof and have not seen better than 32mpg, I have to say I love the car but am dissapointed with the mpg, LR claims are riduculous IMO, I think there should be laws brought in to prevent car manufacurers preventing this sort of thing which falls not far short of fraud.
I read somewhere on here that the Diesel engined models mpg improves with 4K or so on the clock, I hope so.
(This post was last modified: 19-03-2013 01:07pm by mirage.)
19-03-2013 01:05pm
sethor

I still can't get over how so many people go on about fuel economy figures, most figures are derived from some form of standardized test procedures. They should be only used for comparison & not mistaken for real world use, The image below shows the test procedure specified in the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UN ECE) Regulations
[Image: ADR81TestCycle.JPG]

The link below explains the fuel consumption/Co2 labels on new vehicles sold in Australia.
http://www.greenvehicleguide.gov.au/gvgp...ptionlabel

Fuji White Dynamic Si4
(This post was last modified: 19-03-2013 01:52pm by sethor.)
19-03-2013 01:41pm
KaDargo

(19-03-2013 01:05pm)mirage Wrote:  I have pan roof and have not seen better than 32mpg, I have to say I love the car but am dissapointed with the mpg, LR claims are riduculous IMO, I think there should be laws brought in to prevent car manufacurers preventing this sort of thing which falls not far short of fraud.
I read somewhere on here that the Diesel engined models mpg improves with 4K or so on the clock, I hope so.

I have just over 11,000 and if anything it is slightly worse

Mind you, a lot of shorter runs at the moment (was ave 35.4, now 33.8 - brim to brim calculated)

I did recently do a long trip which was M23, M25, M40 to Oxford + some A roads and back, and the computer ave hit 40 ish at one point, but as soon as you hit traffic or queues it rapidly drops.

I was saying to SWMBO last night about the bad MPG and what people on here are saying, and then said 'But I don't care, 'cos I love this car so much anyway :lolSmile

SD4 Prestige, Mauritius, Element, Cirrus Headlining, Pana Roof, Park Assist, Heated Steering Wheel,Blind Spot monitor, 20" Alloys, Powered Tailgate
19-03-2013 02:03pm