Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
MPG... What's the problem?
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: MPG... What's the problem?

Land Rover used BMW engines up to 2008............ Unfortunately BMW sold them the most agricultural and expensive engines they could find and from experience I can assure you the straight 6, 3.0ltr TD6 that they supplied for the FFRR was one of the most unrefined and rattlely engines I have ever had in a car, London Taxis have quieter engines! Why did BMW do it? Well they had just sold LR to Ford and tied them to buying some 500,000 engines, both petrol and diesel, also BMW was just launching the X5 and of course wanted to make the RR look crude. They succeeded!

Regarding commuting MPG, this week I am commuting into college and having to do battle with the Glasgow rush. Hour twice a day, I have been pleasantly surprised to be getting 39mpg in the cut and thrust off the rush hour, better than I normally get driving into Stirling and back outwith rush hour!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 21-05-2013 07:11pm by XFullFatTim.)
21-05-2013 07:03pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jjgray

I getting 37.5 and rising on my daily commute (also into Glasgow from west Stirlingshire Smile - abotu 14 miles each way, some country, some traffic, some urban expressway.

For comparison I reset Trip A more recently which included a trip across the country on motorways. It is showing 39mpg. I was getting only around 40 on my Honda Civic TypeS diesel, though it has to be said that my driving style & choice of route has become more sedate than in the Honda. (I've not yet got to the level of familiarity that would make it fun throwing the Evoque around twisty corners.)

I don't do a lot of miles or worry som much abotu teh fuel costs, but I dont' want to be a gas-guzzler if i can help it. The ECO stop-start really serves well, and also I have taken to pressing off the A/C button unless I feel too warm or humid (rare so far this year in Scotland!!). As the weather warms up (or if...) I'll leave it on more and see if it makes a big difference to the MPG.

Am I right in thinking the Automatic doesn't have ECO stop-start? In the city traffic it's bound to make a big difference. With the A/C on, it is more inclined to keep the enging running, which tells you something.
23-05-2013 01:52pm
XFullFatTim

JJ the auto doesn't have the stop start yet, one of the thins coming with the 9 speed automatic. If you leave the aircon on auto it should be thermostatically controlled - I ever switch mine off, it's aways on auto, all I do is adjust the temperature a couple of notches down or up as needed - like this morning wen it was only 4c here so it got turned from 18 to 22 and te seat heater went on!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
23-05-2013 06:30pm
gw76

No LR ?
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/co...-gap-grows
28-05-2013 09:51pm
XFullFatTim

Worse, no mention of the huge con that hybrids are with regard to MPG figures, some are no better than a modern diesel or petrol engined car.

28-05-2013 10:06pm
m_101

I'm getting on average about 30mpg, mainly town driving with just a little bit of motorway thrown in occasionally.
My average 5 mile run to work through town I was only getting 25ish in winter, now up to 33 after first service. Not sure why such a big difference!
To be honest I didn't anticipate it was going to be 45mpg combined, but half that was a little disappointing in the winter!

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
01-06-2013 12:49am
Evo-king

If it's a diesel it will because the winter diesel has been withdrawn. Fuel economy is poorer with this along with colder temperatures heavier engine load etc.

Also temperatures rising which generally leads to improved fuel economy.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
01-06-2013 10:28am
XFullFatTim

(01-06-2013 10:28am)Evo-king Wrote:  Also temperatures rising which generally leads to improved fuel economy.

This is very noticable in the Evoque, much more marked than either RRS or FFRR that I have run, as soon as we start to get air temperatures above 11-12C my trip computer(I run it in Auto mode so it's the average for each journey) shows a reduction in fuel consumption from 34-36mpg to 39-41mpg on most trips. The engine takes less warming up and the gearbox ECU seems to be linked to it as that allows the car to hold 6th sooner than on a colder day. I run all the time with the climate control set between 19-21 as it also dehumidifies the interior which past experience of Range Rovers has paid dividends with less problems with the audio and satnav due to condensation in the car.

01-06-2013 11:44am
Teetree

MPG... What's the problem?

Yep, I concur. Past few days had been warmer around 16 degrees so the engine reached the optimal temperature (middle of the temp gauge) quicker and so also achieved an additional 5mpg or so than before. Engine seems smoother too

Fuji Pure SD4 Auto 5door, powered tailgate, front sensors, rear camera , pano roof, heated steering wheel, front fogs, xenons, spare wheel, 19" diamond turned alloys
01-06-2013 12:23pm
Biker

This is an extract from a Freelander Si4 Review:

HEAVY CONSUMPTION

But 14 litres per 100km seemed a bit steep, particularly as it's not, say, the size of the Discovery, for instance. It's bigger than it used to be but still not huge enough, in my book, to warrant such a hefty consumption.

Of course, it's also now equipped with the fabulous Evoque's four-cylinder turbocharged 2.0-litre petrol engine (177kW/340Nm of torque), complete with the six-speed ZF gearbox with CommandShift.

When I queried the consumption with Land Rover, there was equal consternation, and it seems it is unusual for the vehicle to drink gas so thirstily, particularly as I do little city driving these days. They cite figures of around 9.6 litres per 100km for a combined cycle. So perhaps mine was an exception.

Either way, you're sure to get better figures from the 140kW/420Nm 2.2-litre TD4 diesel version.

Full link: http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/cars/land-...bUMo_k3CSo

TD4 180 HSE MY17 Fuji White
10-06-2013 12:33am