Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
is this a prestige?
sciack

is this a prestige?

I live in Thailand, but I am From Europe and never heard anything about that... It is not your plate number, what's the point with parking tickets? Do they use the VIN? It sounds really funny...anyway everybody is free to not give the VIN number.
25-04-2013 08:39am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: is this a prestige?

Yes they use your plate for parking and speeding if it is an ANPR cam but if it is a traffic warden then they check the tax disc, number plate and visible VIN against the European Database

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
25-04-2013 09:34am
sciack

exactly, but they should have all the data to match, otherwise I take your plate number and mix it with another VIN on another name, it has no sense. Come one, stop to be paranoid.

Also everybody che use random VIN number and check on topix if it exists or not... even a kid...
25-04-2013 09:45am
Martin
Site Admin & Owner

sciack, in common with the other sites I operate I do ask that full VINs aren't shared. For the majority of purposes they are not required to be shared publicly, so if it avoids the risk of a VIN being used fraudulently then so much the better.
25-04-2013 11:40am
scrannel

(25-04-2013 11:40am)Martin Wrote:  sciack, in common with the other sites I operate I do ask that full VINs aren't shared. For the majority of purposes they are not required to be shared publicly, so if it avoids the risk of a VIN being used fraudulently then so much the better.

Honestly curious: fraudulently for what?

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
25-04-2013 02:14pm
XFullFatTim

For making what we call forged V5C documents which is in effect our certificate of ownership and has to be produced on demand to police. Stolen and crashed rebuilds cars here often appear in the classifieds for sale and you must hold the V5C document to pass it on at time of sale as the seller has to tell the DVLA (the honest ones anyway) and the buyer gets the main sheets which he sends away to have the owner details changed. The V5C doesn't just have the VIN on it, it also has the engine number, type of vehicle, class of vehicle, colour, number of seats type of engine. Often criminals will file off all the originals to match the stolen vin they have bought
3or4 years ago a huge batch of blank V5 documents were stolen from the Driver and Vehicle Licencing Authority here and they had to changed the design and mail the new version to every car driver in the UK!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 25-04-2013 03:42pm by XFullFatTim.)
25-04-2013 03:33pm
scrannel

What I don't understands it, why wouldn't a computer immediately see there were two identical VINs in the system?

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
26-04-2013 04:33pm
XFullFatTim

It doesn't its a dim computer! It assumes there is only ever one car with that VIN because there cannot be two cars with the same number!

26-04-2013 04:45pm
scrannel

Wow! You know, in the States, Car Fax is a huge thing. And a cynical bunch got together with a Mustang that had been welded together from two wrecks. Basically one end had Viv 'A' and the other end had Vin 'B'. And Car Fax showed two perfectly fine, untouched cars. legit cars.

BMW K1200R. Black.
26-04-2013 09:22pm
XFullFatTim

That happens in the UK a lot, except they use the docs/ marks ff only one of the vehicles, we call them cut and shut jobs and they are lethal creations but lucrative for the crims that cook them up

27-04-2013 12:42am