Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Lake District - Holiday advice
Big G

Am looking to bring the Evoque over from Dublin and do a stint in the Lake District, driving around , sight seeing , stopping off on the way. Have done a lot of research, Tripadvisor etc and was wondering if anyone knows how long it would take to get round, stopping off along the way overnight, how long for each place etc etc- thinking 5 days in total. Also any recommended places to stay ( my Mrs likes her luxury) and any really good non tourist trap places to see. With that in mind - what time of year ? Was thinking early May or September? .

Thanks in advance.

Happy to reciprocate on places in Ireland.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collected !! 18/02/2012
Prestige Coupe SD4 Sumatra Black, Spirit interior, Pano roof , Heated seats, Privacy, Rear vents, Rear camera,Manual & style 5 19s. Not Prestige mats, 54 miles in tank when collected.
(This post was last modified: 20-04-2012 02:33pm by Big G.)
20-04-2012 02:32pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Lake District - Holiday advice

The 2 places I have used are both listed in the Johansen's Guide, one is a spa resort Armathwaite Hall Country House at Keswick - quite expensive but very nice and a proper spa with all the trimmings, then there is Applegarth Villa in Windermere , not quite as pricey but not your average B&B either! Another place that is in the North Lakes and is actually a rest stop on the M6 is the Lodge at Teebay services which is pleasant and far enough from the motorway not to hear the traffic but still just off the edge of the Teebay services - the services is one of the best in the UK complete with a camping/caravan park and a farm shop on the site.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 20-04-2012 04:22pm by XFullFatTim.)
20-04-2012 04:18pm
Sensorian

I too have stayed at Armathwaite Hall and can highly recommend it. The Lakes is an enormous area so you will fill your five days and still want to return.....

Dynamic Barolo Black, Black interior, Panoramic roof, plus pack, style 6 wheels, Meridian upgrade
20-04-2012 04:30pm
timslim

When I worked at Sellafield a few years back always stayed here: http://bowerhouseinn.co.uk/

Its a fabulous place in the middle of the lakes and the middle of nowhere!

Dynamic Si4 Santorini Black, with Ebony interior. Collected 24th March Smile
20-04-2012 04:39pm
ytshome

(20-04-2012 02:32pm)Big G Wrote:  Am looking to bring the Evoque over from Dublin and do a stint in the Lake District, driving around , sight seeing , stopping off on the way. Have done a lot of research, Tripadvisor etc and was wondering if anyone knows how long it would take to get round, stopping off along the way overnight, how long for each place etc etc- thinking 5 days in total. Also any recommended places to stay ( my Mrs likes her luxury) and any really good non tourist trap places to see. With that in mind - what time of year ? Was thinking early May or September? .

Thanks in advance.

Happy to reciprocate on places in Ireland.

Hi big G, my wife too won't go away unless it's top notch. We've always like LinthwIte House Hotel when we are in the Lakes, just outside Bowness with lovely views of Windermere. It's not cheap but there is a fifty percent off offer provided you stay a minimum two nights and buy at least one evening meal (basic £104.00 for couple without wine) it was in the aa top 100 hotels and awarded "most excellent hotel" by johansens and I wouldn't let it's four star rating put you off, this is down to not having lifts.

The superior rooms are worth the extra over standard and normally are around £300 per night but obviously are half that at the moment. Think the offer is for bookings between May and July. Cheers YT

Arrived. Prestige SD4 Auto 5DR OG September 11
(This post was last modified: 20-04-2012 10:24pm by ytshome.)
20-04-2012 10:19pm
XFullFatTim

YTS, IIRC Linthwaite House was also one of the Sunday Times top 10 rated small hotels in the UK as well last year

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
20-04-2012 11:07pm
ceebee

The Best place to stay in the lakes is approx 70 miles east of Kendal.

It's called Newcastle!

Let the abuse begin...........

Waiting for: - 2015 SD4 Dynamic, LUX pack, Auto, 5 door. Mauritius Blue. Santorini Roof........spare wheel.
20-04-2012 11:17pm
XFullFatTim

Maybe, I was there last week for 2 nights and was pleasantly surprised at how the place has changed since my previous visit in 1979. When I mentioned to the hotel receptionist that I might come back for a weekend break I was firmly warned not to make it a weekend visit due to the number of rowdy parties, car damaging and general antisocial behaviour that happens at weekends in the town centre....................... so that's Newcastle scored off my list of places to take a weekend break. Monday to Thursday it was avery nice place to be though with some great eateries down on the Quayside and reasonable room rates in the city centre hotels.
BTW the rowdy party scene might not put off some but the hotel I was staying at were still repairing their reception area and lifts after the previous Saturday's party goers had been through!

(This post was last modified: 21-04-2012 12:32pm by XFullFatTim.)
21-04-2012 08:55am
ceebee

Tim, Yip, that's a pretty accurate account of Newcastle!

Waiting for: - 2015 SD4 Dynamic, LUX pack, Auto, 5 door. Mauritius Blue. Santorini Roof........spare wheel.
21-04-2012 12:26pm
XFullFatTim

I wasn't aware that Newcastle was the Stag and Hen party capital of the UK, I thought all those parties decamped to Barcelona and Lithuania to have their festivities!

21-04-2012 12:35pm