Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Just had the scariest experience of my life!!!
samanthacoolbeans

Wow.... I'm still shaking nearly 45mins after this happened...

I was driving my Evoque on the M1 on my way home, Cruise control was set to 80mph and then as I'm overtaking a coach in the fast lane it felt like i'd run into a giant marshmallow, The car instantly decelerated and i nearly panicked and hit the coach.

I pulled over to the hard shoulder thinking i'd had an accident almost about to cry when i noticed a warning symbol on the dashboard saying Restricted Performance and an orange/red warning triangle.

I didn't dare switch the car off so i drove really slowly home the last 20miles.

Im so confused, have i don't something wrong? This is my first Evoque and it is very well looked after but I've never had this happen before.
Im supposed to drive Nottingham - London - Nottingham on saturday (tonight) but i don't know what i should do.... Should i use the car? it sounds like it is running fine the temp gauge is fine and there are no horrible noises coming from the engine.

Are you eve supposed to drive your car in Restricted Performance mode???

Im so worried now Sad

Thanks Samantha xxx
18-06-2016 02:46am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Just had the scariest experience of my life!!!

A lot of members, including myself, have experienced this at high speed. On my last car it was all due to the DPF sensor burning out and why I eventually sold the car. One thing you should try is to go out now and restart the car and I wouldn't mind betting that your warning message has disappeared and won't return. What you should also do this morning is to call out Land Rover Assist to take a look over the car and to see if they can download the faults log. If you have InControl then you should also have an emergency call button above the rear view mirror in the headliner behind a drop down flap which will also call LRA and download the fault log to them - that's what it is there for! The LRA/AA technician will also tell you if you need to take your car into a dealership as soon as possible or if you can continue driving it.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 18-06-2016 09:33am by XFullFatTim.)
18-06-2016 09:31am
jcarrot

This has happened to me on several occasions over the last two years, nothing comes up under the diagnostics.
The main thing I have found that a 5-10 minute stop and restart clears the fault and it is fine again.
One of the characteristics of "Restricted Performance" is limiting revs to 2,500 so when it does happen instead of pushing the accelerator down which is the natural reaction I manually change gears up before the 2,500 mark which with the torque available and high gearing means you can keep going at a steady 70mph.
(This post was last modified: 18-06-2016 10:57pm by XFullFatTim.)
18-06-2016 09:33am
samanthacoolbeans

hi guys,

wow you are like gurus of the evoque or something... Right on the money with a DPF fault!

I took it to a local car garage this morning, it started and drove no props, no faults and performed as normal. They used a fault reader and it came up with Diesel Particle Filter fault.

But the car is running fine now so at least i can get to london and back todaySmile

Is it worth getting my local Derby or Nottingham LandRover to take a peek??

x
18-06-2016 12:11pm
PhilSkill

I've just had the same on the M1 10 days ago, except the fault would re-appear as soon as you revved the engine after a re-start. It required the DPF Pressure sensor to be replaced.

If the fault doesn't come back then you may choose to continue as you are, if it keeps coming back then get it in, probably for the sensor replacement.

See here for my thread on exactly this, it's common on these and the Freelander
http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-My-Fuji-D...#pid111580

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
(This post was last modified: 18-06-2016 09:41pm by PhilSkill.)
18-06-2016 09:37pm
samanthacoolbeans

well i made it down to london and back to nottingham today with no further issues, I varied my speed and did 30 minutes over 80mph and still no warning lights.

Im going to take it to LR on monday for a bit of TLC just incase I'm causing more harm driving (but my gut feeling is that the car would sense I'm hurting it and would takes preventative steps to restrict itself again right?)

Anyway, just for my curiosity until i can get to LR on monday, does anyone know how much DPF / sensors / parts are likely to cost me if needed?
(my model is a 2012 SD4 Auto.)

Thanks Samantha
19-06-2016 12:59am
nick1340

At what sort of mileage is this problem occurring ?

Any owners done high mileage with no issues ?
19-06-2016 08:38am
Stadt Panzer

Three Evoques in and never had a problem my last one did 30,000 miles, highest to date, and never had a problem.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
(This post was last modified: 19-06-2016 08:50am by Stadt Panzer.)
19-06-2016 08:50am
samanthacoolbeans

Welp.... The fault just came back during a particularly wet round trip to the supermarket.....

I then spent 15 mins parked up, Got back into the car and it now seems ok again.

This is bizarre
19-06-2016 08:59pm
PJRComputerSolutions

(19-06-2016 08:59pm)samanthacoolbeans Wrote:  Welp.... The fault just came back during a particularly wet round trip to the supermarket.....

I then spent 15 mins parked up, Got back into the car and it now seems ok again.

This is bizarre

If the Car is still under LR Warranty, then your best bet would be for LR to sort it....Thankfully I've not had this come up yet!!!! But mine is relatively young, 2014 Plate, with only 6K Miles on the clock....So plenty of time yet!!!!
19-06-2016 09:15pm