Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Jump Starting
funguf

Jump Starting

Hi All,

I need to jump start by old car back into life, are there any concerns that it might blow fuses in the RRE?

Thanks

SD4 Pure Tech Manual, 5 Door, Fuji White with Black Contrast Roof, Black Grille/Vents/Mirror Caps, Pure Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Mud Flaps.
16-09-2013 08:26am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Jump Starting

IIRC it tells you in the Owner' manual what you have to be careful about

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 16-09-2013 08:37am by XFullFatTim.)
16-09-2013 08:37am
RacingSnake

I've jumped mine in the past, you might need to get the battery monitor formally reset at a dealer, because even after jumping mine it would only run the engine and not charge the battery Sad
Not sure if any of the volume of software updates have altered that or not, but worth checking out anyway.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
16-09-2013 11:02am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim

sorry I read it as you wanted to jump start another car, not the Evoque

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
16-09-2013 12:47pm
RacingSnake

ah ha, you might be right there - I read the 'old' car as a casual comment a la "gonna jump start the old girl". Laughing

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
16-09-2013 02:55pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim

I had to jump start a 3 years old Honda Jazz at the weekend - I used my Defender rather than the Evoque, but the Honda manual had specific instructions about where to attach the negative to the Honda - it was NOT on the negative on the battery but a special grounding/ earthing point on the body, I suspect you will find Evoque has a similar set-up to protect its' electronics and you may find that if the car you are trying to start is old enough for it not to matter!

16-09-2013 05:02pm
cjfp

(16-09-2013 02:55pm)RacingSnake Wrote:  ah ha, you might be right there - I read the 'old' car as a casual comment a la "gonna jump start the old girl". Laughing

tried that once and my cheek still aches Smile

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
16-09-2013 06:11pm
funguf

Thanks guys, rather than risking blowing something up I bought a new battery from Halfrauds...battery on the old car needed replacing anyway, it hadn't been driven for 5 days and was completely flat!!

SD4 Pure Tech Manual, 5 Door, Fuji White with Black Contrast Roof, Black Grille/Vents/Mirror Caps, Pure Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Mud Flaps.
17-09-2013 09:18am
XFullFatTim

Is this flat battery on your Evoque or another vehicle - if your Evoque's battery is only lasting 5 days then you have a serious problem somewhere and need to get it in for the BMS upgrade as soon as possible - also if it was your Evoque then LRA would have replaced the battery for free!

17-09-2013 09:28am
funguf

(17-09-2013 09:28am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Is this flat battery on your Evoque or another vehicle - if your Evoque's battery is only lasting 5 days then you have a serious problem somewhere and need to get it in for the BMS upgrade as soon as possible - also if it was your Evoque then LRA would have replaced the battery for free!

On my old VW Polo, finally managed to get shot of it - needed to be able to move it first though. Didn't drive the VW for 5 days after collecting the RRE and the battery flattened...

17-09-2013 09:50am