Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fuel Smell?
sandman

RE: Fuel Smell?

(24-01-2013 11:03pm)broady43 Wrote:  You should have asked for a full tank of diesel for all the fuel you lostWink

I agree and I will cause the flamin smell is still there, although not as bad.

Back to the dealers.....oh joy.

Sad

5dr Pure eD4 Man / Fuji White / Cirrus/Lunar / Pano Roof / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Front Fogs.
29-01-2013 11:10am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sandman

I have an update and it's not good news I'm afraid.

Towards the end of January the fuel smell came back with a vengeance combined with a nasty burning smell every so often. My now not so pride and joy was returned to the dealers again (second time). This involved AA (LR assist not available at night) a low loader and me in a taxi of to car hire place to pick up courtesy car. After a long process with dealer (ordered wrong parts) apparent discussions/photographs being sent to LR and long test run etc I got it back about a week later (valeted, no haribo and the wheels could have done with a better going over)

By now I’m starting to get pretty neurotic about this smell, asking every passenger if they can smell anything and asking if I’m being over zealous whilst telling myself that none of the other LR’s I have had as courtesy cars smell like this……….maybe it’s the leather…I could go on. This added to the barrage of abuse I am getting in the workplace as I work for an automotive company, you could say has taken any joy out of owning the Evoque.

Driving into work in neurotic mode on Tuesday I could not help but notice the toxic fumes in the cabin, thought I would wind the window down to get some fresh air but this only made it worse. Popped the bonnet and could see whisps of smoke coming from under the mass of plastic covers.

Needless to say the car is now back at the dealers for the third time, the boss is giving me grief over my company car choice and I have zero confidence that this issue will be resolved. I talked to the lease hire company as I suppose it is their issue too and have started to air the view that if this was my car I would be rejecting and asking for the cash back.

Don’t know if I have a case, would appreciate anybody’s thoughts on my predicament.

Cheers

Ian.
Sad

5dr Pure eD4 Man / Fuji White / Cirrus/Lunar / Pano Roof / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Front Fogs.
(This post was last modified: 27-02-2013 02:35pm by sandman.)
27-02-2013 02:34pm
speary

See the thread on Evoque fire, it could be linked

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
27-02-2013 03:06pm
jjgray

Hi I am the latest poster from the Evoque Fire thread and this definitely sounds like a similar issue. The very first time i turned the car on I got a whif of diesel. That went away for the most part, maybe came back once (but you assume it's the car in front). Then after 3 weeks there was burning smell and black smoke pouring out from teh bonnet and flames visible down behind the engine block.

I have been told that the fuel spill-off pipe must have leaked diesel which then contacted hotter parst below. The spill-off pipe needs replacing, but no other parts have been damaged by the fire. Only trouble is, they don't seem to be able to get that pipe from anywhere and it is coming up to the point where I will have not had my car for longer than I had it. Meantime I have been loaned a Freelander.

In short I have paid a lot of money and not got the car. I have asked for a meeting on Thursday so will report back.

j
08-04-2013 02:05pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Sandman After 3 attempts to fix the problem you can now officially reject the car......................

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
08-04-2013 04:35pm
mklam90

I'm expecting to pick up mine in a week or two time, this is definitely some worrying news...Sad

TD4 Fuji Pure, pano, contrast roof, tech, clear view, powered tailgate, style 6.
08-04-2013 05:09pm
Benziner

Hi sandman,

what was the solution? My 2014 also smells inside the car after Autobahn or highway. It is a petrol version.
28-10-2014 05:31pm
Benziner

I think I found the problem by myself. One hose was bitten by a marten:
http://www.evoqueownersclub.co.uk/forum/...html#76494
01-11-2014 04:02pm