Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Instrument Lights - what colour!!!
Spiderman

If you add the Dynamic Pack option to the Prestige model do the instrument panels lights automatically turn to a red glow when you select Dynamic mode just as they do on the Dynamic version of the Evoque or do they remain white?

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
16-09-2011 01:05am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Instrument Lights - what colour!!!

Yes, it is a "feature" of the system, I could live without it to be honest - it's ins't pleasant and looks garish, not in keeping with a Range Rover, more cheap Honda CRZ or Prius. I would have much preferred the Dynamic to have had the FFRR's and Jag XJ's TFT dash, with the option to change the style of the dials like the XJ has than to have naff red lights.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 16-09-2011 09:36am by XFullFatTim.)
16-09-2011 09:34am
Spiderman

(16-09-2011 09:34am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Yes, it is a "feature" of the system, I could live without it to be honest - it's ins't pleasant and looks garish, not in keeping with a Range Rover, more cheap Honda CRZ or Prius. I would have much preferred the Dynamic to have had the FFRR's and Jag XJ's TFT dash, with the option to change the style of the dials like the XJ has than to have naff red lights.

That's a pity Tim as I too think it looks garish and not in keeping with a RR.

The more and more I think about it I may just change my 2nd Evoques order for a Prestige on standard suspension as the drive I had in one last Friday proved it an utterly capable car whether tootling or marching on through twisty roads, it cornered flat too, whilst the Dynamic Coupe driven thereafter with its standard Magneride activated in Dynamic Mode made the car fidgety and bouncy on anything other than a smooth surface and so unsettled the ride and if that's the case why would anyone activate the dynamic mode in an Evoque, surely if the rides ok without this button pressed and providing it still clings to the road, corners flat and doesn't roll I would have thought it a waste of time being there, so perhaps that's the solution....leave the button alone & enjoy the ride, whilst having the standard white instrument lights as opposed to the garish red lights too...win-win!

Through experience Ive found exactly the same result in any car I've owned or driven to date that had Magneride fitted....I can understand why LR have offered this because the Dynamic is the sportier version in their Evoque range....and this will appeal to some...me included, the Dynamics standard body kit makes it quite purposeful and gives it a great stance, it would be a shame if Magneride spoils the ride over the standard Prestige and Pure versions suspension set-up....I guess until more of these are on the roads and greater feedback is given the Prestige v's Dynamic and the Magneride or not debates look set to continue!

It will be interesting to know 1st hand what its like on a day to day basis and as I am now leaving to collect my 5dr Dynamic Evoque I am away to find out.....I'll post my findings in a few days time....

(This post was last modified: 16-09-2011 12:03pm by Spiderman.)
16-09-2011 11:23am
XFullFatTim

Dynamic mode isn't meant for use all the time though, I suspect it is meant for those who want to have the occasional blast or try a track day (why you would want to do that in an Evoque goodness only knows!). My understanding of the magneride is that in the Dynamic model it is working all the time, when you select the TR Dynamic programme then it just remaps the ECU to a different suspension program. In the "normal/ all TR programs off mode" the Dynamic's suspension is very nicely set up for motorway cruising and back road driving without activating the mode on the TR.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 16-09-2011 12:06pm by XFullFatTim.)
16-09-2011 12:06pm
Spiderman

(16-09-2011 12:06pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Dynamic mode isn't meant for use all the time though, I suspect it is meant for those who want to have the occasional blast or try a track day (why you would want to do that in an Evoque goodness only knows!). My understanding of the magneride is that in the Dynamic model it is working all the time, when you select the TR Dynamic programme then it just remaps the ECU to a different suspension program. In the "normal/ all TR programs off mode" the Dynamic's suspension is very nicely set up for motorway cruising and back road driving without activating the mode on the TR.

Thanks Tim, your understanding on how the system works is spot on. Magneride also travels less when the cars marching on as it changes and firms up instantaneously depending how the car is driven or thrown about, hence the cars flatness though the twisty stuff.
Standard springs, which travel their entire length result in the typical RR floatiness and wallow which is why Magneride can be perceived as being unsettling over anything less than smooth road surfaces.

As I said, I'm leaving now, and this time I really am, for the Dealers to collect my new Evoque, so I will report on the Magneride proper in a few days time once I've had the opportunity of living with it for a period.

16-09-2011 12:36pm
memota

Sorry I'm confused. So if dynamic mode is not on, is the magnaride doing anything or is it the same as a car without it?

I also wonder how much more expensive it would be to replace shocks down the track if they need it, AND if they cost more to install.
16-09-2011 01:35pm
SW6RR

This must be the most posted item ever!

Magneride is always on. In any terrain response mode.

Dynamic mode is an extra terrain response mode that you get when you have a magneride suspension. It firms everything up and offers a sportier ride.

Magneride should offer a better suspension than the standard suspension across all terrain response modes.

This of course, is open to opinion and personal preference.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.863147,5.246611

Arrived (5/11/11): SD4 5-door "Presnamic" Lux Very Happy Auto, Fuji, Spirit/Tan, Style 8 20" Wheels, fully loaded (bar RSE, smoker's pack and Homelink)
16-09-2011 01:41pm
XFullFatTim

memota, my understanding is that Magneride is always operating regardless of the mode selected on the TR (it was the same with the DR system fitted to S/C , TDv8 RRS's) When you select the dynamic setting on the terrain response then the suspension map changes and the steering map is changed to give more weight to it. TBH I cannot detect any difference in the Dynamic mode over "normal" mode until the car is driven over a corrugated stretch of road surface and then the system seemed to get all confused and the car felt very " bouncy" so i switched back to normal mode and all was sweetness and smooth again!

16-09-2011 01:43pm
memota

Thanks gents, sorry for flogging a dead horse!

Appreciate the response though
16-09-2011 02:04pm
XFullFatTim

Consider it to be doubly dead now! I'm sure it will be a frequently asked question in the years to come

(This post was last modified: 16-09-2011 02:07pm by XFullFatTim.)
16-09-2011 02:06pm