Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How does Terrain Response work on a manual?
Filski

I can understand how it works on an automatic by changing the accelerator response and holding gears, but where these are controlled manually anyway, what purpose does the system serve?

Trying to decide between manual and auto here. Prefer manual but as this is our first AWD not sure if we are losing any control, nor want to cook the clutch as one dealer told me might happen.
08-10-2012 04:58am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
FujiSan

RE: How does Terrain Response work on a manual?

As far as I know it alters the throttle response, the amount of differential slip it allows between the wheels and controls when HDC is automatically selected. it probably does a bunch of other technical stuff as well, including indicating on the display if your front wheels are not pointing straight ahead.

I'm sure others will join in and reply with anything else it does.

TD4 Pure - Now a rare breed...

[Image: 131166.png]
08-10-2012 09:02am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

If you are intending to take your car offroad then I would strongly advise the auto - as you dealer says, clutches on manual cars get cooked easily, the auto comes with a gearbox oil cooler as standard. You can still drive your auto as a manual if you like as the paddles also give you a sequential manual shift. If you do a lot of stop tart city driving the auto is also kinder to your left leg.............

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
08-10-2012 09:29am
Filski

Thanks for the responses. Must admit I was sceptical about cooking the clutch so interesting to see that it's true.
08-10-2012 12:18pm
ceebee

(08-10-2012 09:29am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  If you are intending to take your car offroad then I would strongly advise the auto - as you dealer says, clutches on manual cars get cooked easily, the auto comes with a gearbox oil cooler as standard. You can still drive your auto as a manual if you like as the paddles also give you a sequential manual shift. If you do a lot of stop tart city driving the auto is also kinder to your left leg.............

Tim, I take it that the auto is very popular here in Newcastle city centre then? (not that I stop many tarts myself mind)

Waiting for: - 2015 SD4 Dynamic, LUX pack, Auto, 5 door. Mauritius Blue. Santorini Roof........spare wheel.
08-10-2012 03:49pm
cjfp

(08-10-2012 03:49pm)ceebee Wrote:  Tim, I take it that the auto is very popular here in Newcastle city centre then? (not that I stop many tarts myself mind)

many ....?

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
08-10-2012 06:05pm
Ryo

Hum... I don't know. I think you can drive off road well with a manual. In fact, many off road vehicles comes with a manual as a standard.
I can see it's convenient not fiddling with the clutch when trying to get up a steep hill, but I can't believe the Evoque's clutch is that bad that it can't be used off road.

A lot of people also mention you have more control and feel in the terrain with a manual. And you have more effective engine braking. So I'm not completely sold on that. Especially it hits 2.300 Euro more on my pocket.

Maybe you could give a look at the "dark side" Tongue Out It's an interesting thread that comes up with issues and pros for both transmissions:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/auto-...oad-14029/

And the exact proceeding when using the Terrain Response system with a manual gearbox would be quite interesting. Not much to be found at Landrover though.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2012 06:41pm by Ryo.)
08-10-2012 06:39pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Ryo, yes you can take a manual offroad and do no harm to the clutch however you do have to be very careful with the Fredlander and Evoque's clutches. I have a manual gear box Defender (there is no auto option), but the clutch in that is "beefed" up for off road use, same as manual Jeeps are. The biggest problem with auto's offroad is controlling engine braking - less difficult with LR's commandshift system where you can hold the lower gears more easily than in a conventional auto

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
08-10-2012 07:01pm
Ryo

(08-10-2012 07:01pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Ryo, yes you can take a manual offroad and do no harm to the clutch however you do have to be very careful with the Fredlander and Evoque's clutches. I have a manual gear box Defender (there is no auto option), but the clutch in that is "beefed" up for off road use, same as manual Jeeps are. The biggest problem with auto's offroad is controlling engine braking - less difficult with LR's commandshift system where you can hold the lower gears more easily than in a conventional auto

Is there no doubt that the Evoque clutch and the Freelander clutch is the same?
They heavily promote the Evoque's off road capabilities. I'm wondering.
08-10-2012 07:25pm
rchrdleigh

(08-10-2012 07:25pm)Ryo Wrote:  Is there no doubt that the Evoque clutch and the Freelander clutch is the same?
They heavily promote the Evoque's off road capabilities. I'm wondering.

No doubt at all - clutch is the same on both Evoque and Freelander.
Evoque is good off road - when you see it for the first time you'll be amazed at what it can do.
LR Experience Centres tend to use automatic vehicles as they are easier to use off road if the driver is not that experienced. But a manual will be as capable in the right hands.
08-10-2012 08:06pm