Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
High pitch nose from the reversing sensors
fam1x

High pitch nose from the reversing sensors

I was wondering if anyone noticed this on their cars.

When I put the car in reverse I get a continue tone from the car, think indicating I'm too close to the object behind me, however when you look at the camera there's nothing there.

I start reversing and get close to the car behind then the beeping noise start and you can see the graphics indicating how close you are.

I'm sure this started yesterday at first I ignored it now it seems the high pitch tone is every time I’m select reverse.

If anyone experiences this please let me know if you did anything to resolve it or does that mean I need to go back to the dealers?

Pure SD4 Auto Black Tech pack, Pano roof, Powered tailgate, Dim rear view, Carpet mats & edging, Parking Assist Aid - Rear camera, Folding mirrors, Front Fogs, Auto Light, Rain sensor, Adaptive Xenons, Heated SW, Keyless entry and Privacy Glass arrived 13 Jan 12 Smile
16-02-2012 11:16pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: High pitch nose from the reversing sensors

This is a sign that one of the sensors may not be working properly. Could be one of two things - a) Is the car very dirty and the sensors dirty or b)Have you had the car pressure washed recently?
I haven't experienced it with my Evoque but I did with an RRS every winter when the car got very dirty after snow and the roads had been salted. The problem with pressure washers is that if the jet is directed straight at a sensor it can damage the covering and fill the sensor head with water. To find out which sensor is in fault get somebody to sit in the car with the engine running and the sensors switched on and walk close to the heads, you may hear one clicking, that is the faulty one!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 16-02-2012 11:22pm by XFullFatTim.)
16-02-2012 11:17pm
cjfp

Sh!t (technical term) on one of the front park sensors?

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
16-02-2012 11:18pm
fam1x

Yes i had the car washed last weekend and yes its gone very dirty already lol I tried cleaning the dirty off the sensors. Surely that can’t be that sensitive or can they?

Pure SD4 Auto Black Tech pack, Pano roof, Powered tailgate, Dim rear view, Carpet mats & edging, Parking Assist Aid - Rear camera, Folding mirrors, Front Fogs, Auto Light, Rain sensor, Adaptive Xenons, Heated SW, Keyless entry and Privacy Glass arrived 13 Jan 12 Smile
(This post was last modified: 16-02-2012 11:21pm by fam1x.)
16-02-2012 11:19pm
XFullFatTim

it's not that they are sensitive but that the muck is causing them to send back false signals.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
16-02-2012 11:27pm
fam1x

oh ok will get that car clean again this weekend see what happens keep you guys posted

16-02-2012 11:31pm
cjfp

Make sure they don't jet wash the sensors directly.
Is the tone the same pitch as the front or the rear sensors as this ight give you an indication of the location of the issue?

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
(This post was last modified: 16-02-2012 11:35pm by cjfp.)
16-02-2012 11:34pm
PhilSkill

The front sensors give a higher pitched warning tone than the rear, so you should be able to identify which end is causing the false signal (hopfully not a fault).

Interesting note on the jet washing, since I'm thinking of buying a foam lance for my pressure washer. I'd have hoped the sensor are water tight! otherwise rain would be an Issue.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
16-02-2012 11:49pm
XFullFatTim

the sensors are watertight, but not to the pressure that a pressure washer can generate, especially when it's held close to the car's body. 4 years ago I hastened the demise of my Defenders chassis by using a very high pressure pressure washer to get the mud off............. unfortunately it also removed lots of rust leaving me with an 18" long hole in the chassis box section.

17-02-2012 12:10am
fam1x

well just went for a drive to check the noise again but enable to replicate the problem car seems to be working fine again Smile

17-02-2012 12:39am