Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Heated Steering Wheel Question
LIONHEAD

Heated Steering Wheel Question

I tried my heated steering wheel last Friday for a long period of time and it seemed as if it wasn't getting any warmer. Today I borrowed my friend's infrared temperature gun and this is what I found. First off the outside temp is showing 29 degrees. When I first got in the gun was showing the steering wheel at 38 degrees. After 5 minutes of the steering wheel turned on but the hearter turned off, it was still showing 37-38 degrees depending on where on the steering wheel. I then turned on the heater inside on setting 3 and after 10 minutes (15 minutes after turning on the steering wheel) the gun was showing 45-48 degrees depending where I pointed on the steering wheel but still the steering wheel felt cold. After getting the 45-48 degrees reading, I pointed the gun at the middle of the wheel and got 45 degrees and then I then pointed the gun at the passenger seat and got a reading of 44 degrees. Possibly the warmup was due to the heat turned on and not the steering wheel.

My question is your heated steering wheel feel weak like mine or does it warm up to where your hand feels nice and warm. If so then back to the dealer to have it checked out.
24-01-2012 02:03am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
invoke

RE: Heated Steering Wheel Question

Heated steering wheel is one of the neat feature in winter driving. It does get pretty nice and warm. Make sure you pull the button toward yourself and note the color change to yellow on the button.

Better get it checked if it's not working.

Black/Black Dynamic (with missing dynamic button), 4dr and a tailgate, stadium seats with butt warmer, extra large moon roof for kids clustrophobia, velcro surface card board floor mats, factory installed humming accessory and the famous "Wind noise-rattle package".
24-01-2012 02:50am
LIONHEAD

(24-01-2012 02:50am)invoke Wrote:  Heated steering wheel is one of the neat feature in winter driving. It does get pretty nice and warm. Make sure you pull the button toward yourself and note the color change to yellow on the button.

Better get it checked if it's not working.

Thanks invoke for the info. Does yours warm up fairly quickly...say after 15 minutes. That was the time I tried today but last Friday it was on for at east 30minutes+. Thanks!
24-01-2012 02:52am
invoke

You should feel the difference with a minute or so. It would be useless feature if it take 15 minutes.

Black/Black Dynamic (with missing dynamic button), 4dr and a tailgate, stadium seats with butt warmer, extra large moon roof for kids clustrophobia, velcro surface card board floor mats, factory installed humming accessory and the famous "Wind noise-rattle package".
24-01-2012 03:12am
rrevog

This might seem funny, but is there a way of controlling the temperature / switching off the heated steering wheel ??
24-01-2012 04:07am
slee18

Granted it's not very cold in Cali but it does warm up quickly. The seams in the leather don't warm up though. Hope that helps

12 Evoque Si4 (US) Galway Green Prestige ivory expresso interior
24-01-2012 04:11am
DynamicRRV

Mine warms up fast & is perfectly warm.
24-01-2012 10:37am
bwaadass

I can notice the heat from the steering wheel after about 20secs, I'd say it's up to full temp within 1min. I think it's excellent.

When warm I can feel the heat tracing wire wrapped around the wheel (so it's not an even heat, there are hotter and cooler areas).
24-01-2012 11:08am
alibeau

(24-01-2012 11:08am)bwaadass Wrote:  I can notice the heat from the steering wheel after about 20secs, I'd say it's up to full temp within 1min. I think it's excellent.

+1 Smile

Black Dynamic Si4 - gone but not forgotten.
24-01-2012 11:41am
LIONHEAD

Thanks guys.....Looks like I'll have to stop by the dealer sometime to have it checked out. When I first got the car, I just made sure it turned on but never left it on for long. Reason I was asking is because my other 2 cars that had heated steering wheel......2004 E500 (gone) had a weak heated steering wheel and my 2008 XKR in which I've never used it as it's stored in winter but on the board, people was also complaining about the weak heated steering wheel. I figured LR/Jag are the same company and therefore the LR heated steering wheel will be the same. Good to hear the Evoque's heated steering wheel does heats up nicely. Will haev to stop by the dealer sometime this week.
(This post was last modified: 24-01-2012 03:56pm by LIONHEAD.)
24-01-2012 03:48pm