Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Headlamp converters for France?
gashton

Headlamp converters for France?

Hi there

Heading to France tomorrow for first ever roadtrip and have been reading about all the requirements....

I understand UK cars need headlamp converters, but the RRE handbook says the headlamps are suitable for either side of the road.

Hs anyone any experience / info they can share?

We have adaptive bi-xenon headlight

Many thanks
George
02-06-2012 07:42pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Coolbanana

RE: Headlamp converters for France?

Don't think you need them for Xenon's - I've been in France twice this year in the RRE and never had any bother.

Car:Range Rover Sport 3.0SDV6 HSE - Orkney Grey, Almond interior and with lots of options
Bike:Ducati Monster 1100 EVO
02-06-2012 08:11pm
mark_n

http://
(02-06-2012 08:11pm)Coolbanana Wrote:  Don't think you need them for Xenon's - I've been in France twice this year in the RRE and never had any bother.

There is some weird requirement coming up that you need to carry a breathalyser in the car when going to France but not sure the exact start date.

Would be interested to hear from those who have taken their cars abroad. Did you use Eurotunnel? The car is very wide for the standard car bays and I would worry about scraping the wheels against those raised edges.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
02-06-2012 08:47pm
stevehill

(02-06-2012 07:42pm)gashton Wrote:  Hi there

Heading to France tomorrow for first ever roadtrip and have been reading about all the requirements....

I understand UK cars need headlamp converters, but the RRE handbook says the headlamps are suitable for either side of the road.

Hs anyone any experience / info they can share?

We have adaptive bi-xenon headlight

Many thanks
George

George
In the menu settings in the dash you should find headlamps left or right
I found this by mistake
02-06-2012 08:48pm
gashton

Thanks for the advice - I believe the breathalyser comes into force on the 1st July!

We are travelling by Eurostar so will be able to let you know for tight it is on our return....slightly nervous now for my lovely wheels ConfusedVery Happy

(02-06-2012 08:48pm)stevehill Wrote:  George
In the menu settings in the dash you should find headlamps left or right
I found this by mistake

Oooooh that would be ace....look forward to finding that tomorrow!
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2012 08:52pm by gashton.)
02-06-2012 08:50pm
PhilSkill

Managed to get a Renault Espace Grande on Eurostar no problem, can get a bit hairy passing the toilet blocks that stick out, but should be fine. Maybe use the mirrors dipped to see the wheels relative to the edges (unless you have surround cameras!)

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
02-06-2012 11:06pm
Evo-king

We will be going to Bourdeilles, but I think we will be using the ferry even though I prefer Eurostar, thanks for the heads up re Breathalyser.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
03-06-2012 12:14pm
Coolbanana

(02-06-2012 08:47pm)mark_n Wrote:  http://
There is some weird requirement coming up that you need to carry a breathalyser in the car when going to France but not sure the exact start date.

Would be interested to hear from those who have taken their cars abroad. Did you use Eurotunnel? The car is very wide for the standard car bays and I would worry about scraping the wheels against those raised edges.

Yes - I bought one of those breathalysers for £2 on eBay and stuck it in the boot just in case on our last trip.

Used the EuroTunnel twice, first time with the higher vehicles, second just in the car bay and both times no problem at all. I managed to ride between the edges but rest assured, the tyres on the 20" rim are still higher than the edges so no kerbing of rims possible.

Car:Range Rover Sport 3.0SDV6 HSE - Orkney Grey, Almond interior and with lots of options
Bike:Ducati Monster 1100 EVO
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2012 01:11pm by Coolbanana.)
03-06-2012 01:09pm
Ianpembs

You have to have 2 breathalysers they sell the kits in Halfords enjoy your trip interested if you find the headlight change over switch
03-06-2012 01:10pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

And you don't need headlight converters for RRE in Europe, if you read the manual it tells you the headlamp dips are set so no changes are necessary. You might have to paint your fog lamps yellow though............

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
03-06-2012 02:37pm