Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hand brake try this
PhilSkill

RE: Hand brake try this

The motor is directly mounted on the Rear calipers now Tim, no cable anymore.

Gonna have to checkout the emergency stop! I assume there some clever lockout like brakes must be applied also to avoid accidently catching the lever in traffic and frightening the guy behind to death.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
16-08-2012 11:22pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ianpembs

Thanks all for your feedback what a forum. Just to add to FullFattims reply , which is my point really is that I only hear the whirring noise when operating the EPB switch .On stopping the engine I dont hear that and feel a slight depression of brake pedal so wondering if on stopping engine without using EPB switch it in fact just applyiing brakes and not hand brake until switch used.
16-08-2012 11:26pm
PhilSkill

If the light on the dash comes up it should be applied, I dont think it does this until you hit the stop button, on a manual the engine may have already stopped due to eco start/stop and this will not have applied it. If you open the door while in eco stopped it will apply the handbrake too and switch off also.

You do notice more depression of the brake pedal underfoot when you manually activate it again, but that doesnt mean it wasnt already applied automatically. Best thing is to try parking on a hill and see if it has worked if your not confident its applying when it says it is.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
16-08-2012 11:38pm
smayo

(16-08-2012 11:13pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  it's one of my pet hates people holding their car on the foot brake and burning out the eyes of the following car drivers with the bilevel brake light.

+1

(16-08-2012 11:13pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  The real party trick of the EPB is to engage it while moving........................ it activates the ABS, EBDF and DSC and the Hazard warning lights as well as the rear brakes to bring you up very very quickly indeed, as in an emergency stop.

Excellent tip!

Ordered 17/2/12 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Mauritius Blue, Pan roof, 20" style 6 (gloss black), Vortex, Ebony Headlining, Ent Pack, Heated St. Wheel, Homelink, Pr Glass, Auto Dim r.view mirror, spare wheel
17-08-2012 07:50am
Evo-king

Not sure I would want to try engaging EPB while moving.

On my manual as far as I can remember, because a lot of thing are instinctive now, when I pull up on to the drive, stop, switch engine off, EPB automatically engages and the footbrake pedal moves in slightly.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
17-08-2012 08:14am
smayo

(17-08-2012 08:14am)Evo-king Wrote:  Not sure I would want to try engaging EPB while moving.

Not too sure I would either, but in an emergency it's a great tip.
Lots of schools around where I drive, and if a child ever did run out then this would be an excellent feature.

Ordered 17/2/12 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Mauritius Blue, Pan roof, 20" style 6 (gloss black), Vortex, Ebony Headlining, Ent Pack, Heated St. Wheel, Homelink, Pr Glass, Auto Dim r.view mirror, spare wheel
17-08-2012 08:39am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Have to stress it is an EMERGENCY manoeuvre, lots of RRS and D3 -D4 owners found out about this function and showed it off............................ You can get away with it once or twice but try it too many times and you will damage the brakes. The EPB on RRE/FFRR and D4 works differently being a "clamp" with brake pads on it that acts on the rear prop shaft. On those cars you run the risk of dislodging the pads if you try it regularly.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
17-08-2012 09:18am
NightFox

(17-08-2012 09:18am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Have to stress it is an EMERGENCY manoeuvre, lots of RRS and D3 -D4 owners found out about this function and showed it off............................ You can get away with it once or twice but try it too many times and you will damage the brakes. The EPB on RRE/FFRR and D4 works differently being a "clamp" with brake pads on it that acts on the rear prop shaft. On those cars you run the risk of dislodging the pads if you try it regularly.

Good to hear it's 'safe' to do on the Evoque - it was great in my D3 and RRS for scaring the living daylights out of a dozing passenger (not travelling too fast of course), sort of like being in a jet fighter when 'missile lock' comes on. Trouble is, like Tim said, the manual told you that repeated use would cause damage.

MY13 TD4 Pure Manual ~ Tech Pack ~ Mauritius Blue ~ Panoramic Roof ~ Adaptive Xenons ~ Park Assist ~ Keyless Entry ~ Reversing Camera ~ Powerfold Mirrors ~ Autodimming Mirror
Ordered 14/6/12 ~ Built 13/11/12 ~ Delivered 15/11/12 ~ Collected 20/11/12

[Image: 163643.png]
17-08-2012 09:24am
Ianpembs

LaughingLaughing
(17-08-2012 09:24am)NightFox Wrote:  Good to hear it's 'safe' to do on the Evoque - it was great in my D3 and RRS for scaring the living daylights out of a dozing passenger (not travelling too fast of course), sort of like being in a jet fighter when 'missile lock' comes on. Trouble is, like Tim said, the manual told you that repeated use would cause damage.
17-08-2012 09:37am
Token

Might give it a go later...don't believe you should try anything for the first time in an emergency situation!

Bit like ABS...if you have never experienced an emergency stop with ABS, suggest you try one...natural instinct the first time you do it is to lift off the brakes when ABS kicks in which is obviously bad!

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
17-08-2012 12:22pm