Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Great Driving Roads
5jms5

Great Driving Roads

I have spend the last few days driving around the Scottish Borders the roads are really suited to the RRE. My car is totally covered in mud after an excursion to Cauldshiels Loch interupted by a farmer moving sheep! I have discovered the Dynamic mode and having great fun. Driving to Edinburgh for New Year then back to Chelsea tractor mode in London!
29-12-2015 05:50pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: Great Driving Roads

Yeah I've enjoyed driving it round The Lake District, Yorkshire Dales, and Northumbria in the last couple of years, Very enjoyable.

Haven't made it to Scotland with the Evoque Yet, but will have to at some point.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
29-12-2015 06:12pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

You should venture further north and west in Scotland, the road up the west side of Loch Lomond is rated by the ex TG team as in the top 10 worldwide to drive before you die for fantastic road and spectacular scenery and then when you get to the head of Loch Lomond it starts over again with another great drive from Crianlarich to Fort William via Rannoch Moor and Glen Coe........... a few less pleasant roads and then you head off over land to the far North where you have the road to Applecross and the lovely sweeping roads on Skye. TG did a lot of their super and hyper car testing even further north, if you find the Loch Lomond road a bit overpowering for scenary then on your way south you go to Glasgow via Oban, Lochgilphead and Invererary to Arrochar and then you take the back roads down to Helensburgh and on to Glasgow..........
Last summer I had the chance to drive to Campbeltown via the last route in an F Type Jag on a day when we were able to drive all the way with the roof folded away, heaven! They are all great roads for a run out in an Evoque in Dynamic Mode but watch out for sheep straying onto the roads and plod with a speed gun as they are also for the most part fast roads with little traffic and it is hard to reign in the to devour the miles and miles of driving at high speed.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
29-12-2015 07:54pm
PhilSkill

Hi Tim, Yes I must get North of the Border sometime!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
29-12-2015 11:20pm
Pete

I've spent many happy hours on holiday driving the West coast of Scotland.

The coastal road up the west right up to Durness (A894 past Scourie and the A838 up to Durness is an otherworldly experience)
A hidden treasure for me was taking the small road from Sheil Bride over the top to Arnisdale & Corran on the shore of Loch Hourn. On a good day, the views are astonishing. You'll see signposts teasing you toward "Sheena's Tea Hut", but I don't know whether it's still running or not - there aren't any other coffee shops on that side

The A82 going past Glancoe is a must (Clachaig Inn is a great place to stay)

Further afield, the Outer Hebridies offer amazing driving roads and views, especially Harris and the North and South Uists.

As well as mountains, you'll struggle to find better beaches than on the West coast of Scotland and the Hebridies.

Porsche Macan
30-12-2015 10:32am
XFullFatTim

If you get it on the right day without too many trucks or coaches and the bikers all trying to kill themselves the A84 from Callander north to Crianlarrich / Tymdrum is also a great drive with long very fast stretches that abruptly end in some very slow and extremely tight bends that test Magenride/ Dynamic mode to it limits! One of my favouire drives out just for the sake of a day out in the car is that one then turn left at Crianlarrich and head back to the south end of Loch Lomond via the west side of the loch, just don't drive it on a Sunday afternoon when the weather has been nice because it is a favouite for "Sunday" drivers out to admire the scenary and mega long tailbacks doing 40 on a fast road where there are not that many overtaking opportunities unless you happen to own an RRS SVR or an F Type Jag or something equally performance orientated that has the instant get up and go to pull passed slower traffic at the slightest opportunity

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
30-12-2015 05:35pm
5jms5

Had a drive through the Gattonside Hieghts which is near Scotts View in the Earlston area. I had my car flying! The Tweed is looking pretty brown and running fast lots of broken banks too.
30-12-2015 06:10pm
m_101

Tim that road is the Dukes Pass (with all the hairpins and tight corners) and is an absolute hoot on a bike. I've only ever driven it once in the evoque and while it was fun, I agree overtaking in a car would be unsafe for most of the route. So if you got stuck behind something, you're stuck.

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
02-01-2016 05:56pm
XFullFatTim

Dukes Pass is in my back garden 101, it is in the Trossachs and yes it is a hoot and coming down into Aberfoyle from the summit is where I get the best MPG readings on the trip computer, best so far from the summit to the village was 97mpg over the 2 miles downhill even using brakes on the very tight hairpin section above the David Marshall Lodge visitor centre. The bit I meant is the section from Stirling to Crianlarrich via the mian road the A84 through Callander, Strathyre, Lochearnhead, Lix Toll, a road that is also popular with bikers, several of whom I have unfortunately had to go and help scrape up off the road or out of the trees ( or worse out of the interior of some poor innocent driver's car) when they try to defy physics.

(This post was last modified: 03-01-2016 09:32am by XFullFatTim.)
03-01-2016 09:29am
IvorRedOne

(29-12-2015 05:50pm)5jms5 Wrote:  I have spend the last few days driving around the Scottish Borders the roads are really suited to the RRE. My car is totally covered in mud after an excursion to Cauldshiels Loch interupted by a farmer moving sheep! I have discovered the Dynamic mode and having great fun. Driving to Edinburgh for New Year then back to Chelsea tractor mode in London!

Did you try the NC 500 in Scotland?
27-01-2016 12:38am