Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Got hit right in front of my eyes!
mklam90

Got hit right in front of my eyes!

Hi guys, so today I parked my Evoque in front of the library and I had a view out to it. Moments later a small hatched back Toyota backed right into the front of my car. The bumper was flexible so it didn't leave any dents or scratches, as the back of the car touched the number plate, not on the paint. The driver didn't even know he backed into mine until I told him to get off the car and take a look. There were not any physical damages so I thought I would let it go, very sad though as it is its first incident since I had it for 2 months. Just want to share it with you guys...

TD4 Fuji Pure, pano, contrast roof, tech, clear view, powered tailgate, style 6.
12-06-2013 10:57am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dynamicgirl

RE: Got hit right in front of my eyes!

Sorry to hear this, Buddy Sad. It seems that spacial awareness and paying attention to their surroundings is totally beyond some people! It's not as is the Evoque is THAT small that it can't be seen in a rear view mirror, lol. The driver was most likely preoccupied with thoughts of having to pay a late return fine on one of their books. It's lucky there's no damage and a good job you saw what happened. Things could have been SO different, you might not have seen it and there could have been a massive 'ding' in a door or another body panel waiting for you, which wouldn't have been so cool. You never know, perhaps the Toyota driver liked the look of the Evoque so much that they wanted a closer look and simply got too close. Smile Paula xx
12-06-2013 11:23am
PhilSkill

Thankfully the plastic bumpers are quite forgiving on a direct push style hit, as long as no sideways movement to scuff the paint or sharp metal edges involved!

I had exactly the same in a car park in Wales, I was sitting on the wall in the sun near my Evoque only to watch a Volvo reverse into the space infront, and use my Evoque as his parking sensors... similar thing hit the number plate and no damage, just amazes me the lack of simple care people take, or maybe it's just lack of basic driving ability.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
12-06-2013 01:10pm
scrannel

Wow! Thanks! Always wondered about those bumpers!

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
12-06-2013 04:50pm
1stRangie

The bumpers are pretty amazing! When ours went in for it's first service I mentioned the comical cut line of the top edge of the rear bumper. When the garage took a look it had been hit hard enough to bend the mounting bracket but with not a single visible mark to the bumper itself! Cost us 90 quid for a new bracket though Sad

MY2016 Dynamic HSE four door, Yulong White and a few selected additions. Gone but never forgotten; Dynamic SD4 Coupe, Fuji White...
12-06-2013 07:20pm
The Valeter

Some folk just couldn't care less about other peoples property.

I can vouch for the bumpers as I put mine in my garage recently which is very tight at the rear end as I have lots of MG Rover bits stored in boxes & valeting stuff. I took the Evoque out & from a distance I looked at the N/S rear bumper & noticed an odd shape, walked up & there was a nasty dent in the bumper ( I wasn't best impressed) & thaught - new bumper required. I then realised what had happened that I had backed it in & it had been pushed against a Rover 25 exhaust back box.
Most of the dent disapeared after a few hours & only left a small indentation which I noticed for a few days. On reading this thread I can now say it obviously completely disapeared as I had forgotten about it & I went round the car a day or so ago applying Gtecniq C1.5.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
12-06-2013 11:07pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mklam90

(12-06-2013 07:20pm)1stRangie Wrote:  The bumpers are pretty amazing! When ours went in for it's first service I mentioned the comical cut line of the top edge of the rear bumper. When the garage took a look it had been hit hard enough to bend the mounting bracket but with not a single visible mark to the bumper itself! Cost us 90 quid for a new bracket though Sad

That's sort of what I'm worry about, internal damages.

TD4 Fuji Pure, pano, contrast roof, tech, clear view, powered tailgate, style 6.
13-06-2013 04:17am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I can tell you they can take a lot too - I was overtaking a line of cars in my RRS TDv8 a couple of years back. Elderly lady driver decided she also wanted to overtake, pulled out without looking in her mirror and straight into my nearside front bumper - I was doing 60mph mi lord, honest! Anyway it put a huge dent in the rear offside door of her CRV, spun it through 180 degrees so from being overtaking situation it become side to side thankfully and she went off back from where she had come! I stopped and the car that was behind me and also going to overtake, pulled into the side of the road, I pulled up and so did the driver of the CRV. I had a large dent in the front bumper but while I was getting the lady's details the witness said he couldn't believe it as he watched the bumper popped back out and into it's proper shape with only the slightest scratch on it! Unlike the CRV. Anyway a couple of weeks later I had an RRS pull up outside my house, driver got got and wrang the door bell - it was the witness who I had exchanged details with - he was so impressed with the way that 2.8t of RRS pulled up from 60 in about 3 cars lengths in gloopy sticky mud that he felt he should chop in his Audi S3 for an RRS! He's now on his 2nd one and I see him at some of the offroad events - he loves the car and claims he doesn't know why he had never thought of owning one before. His latest one though is rather nice - a used Supercharged 5.0ltr Autobiography!
Unfortunately I also know that the Evoque tailgate cannot absorb a large point load and at 2-3mph just cracks and costs GBP1600 to repair............

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 13-06-2013 01:30pm by XFullFatTim.)
13-06-2013 01:29pm
mklam90

(13-06-2013 01:29pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I can tell you they can take a lot too - I was overtaking a line of cars in my RRS TDv8 a couple of years back. Elderly lady driver decided she also wanted to overtake, pulled out without looking in her mirror and straight into my nearside front bumper - I was doing 60mph mi lord, honest! Anyway it put a huge dent in the rear offside door of her CRV, spun it through 180 degrees so from being overtaking situation it become side to side thankfully and she went off back from where she had come! I stopped and the car that was behind me and also going to overtake, pulled into the side of the road, I pulled up and so did the driver of the CRV. I had a large dent in the front bumper but while I was getting the lady's details the witness said he couldn't believe it as he watched the bumper popped back out and into it's proper shape with only the slightest scratch on it! Unlike the CRV. Anyway a couple of weeks later I had an RRS pull up outside my house, driver got got and wrang the door bell - it was the witness who I had exchanged details with - he was so impressed with the way that 2.8t of RRS pulled up from 60 in about 3 cars lengths in gloopy sticky mud that he felt he should chop in his Audi S3 for an RRS! He's now on his 2nd one and I see him at some of the offroad events - he loves the car and claims he doesn't know why he had never thought of owning one before. His latest one though is rather nice - a used Supercharged 5.0ltr Autobiography!
Unfortunately I also know that the Evoque tailgate cannot absorb a large point load and at 2-3mph just cracks and costs GBP1600 to repair............

I hope the Evoque's bumper would be the same. Certainly a very interesting story though, I should get a RRS!

13-06-2013 01:33pm