Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gearbox problems or turbo lag?
andylel

RE: Gearbox problems or turbo lag?

All

I have had similar issues with my SD4 Auto. Did not take no for an answer and after two trips to the dealer they applied a TCM (Transmission control module) software update. It has transformed the car which is now a joy to drive. I am afraid I don't know what versions are on it but my advice is to persist with the dealer and ask about TCM updates.
29-08-2012 07:01pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
exigejoe

the turbo are vgt design which minimizes lag plus the turbo are probably small to even have lag issues. I think we run K03 turbo in the Si4 and have not notice any lag power. all the power is in the bottom and mid range and losese steam up top.
The gearbox imo is the problem and needs to be updated. in my Si4 the gearbox sometimes have trouble finding the right gear when i punch it.

Lotus Exige (aspen white) with VF supercharger kit, 413hp, 366lb/ft
Range Rover Evoque in fuji white and almond/espresso interior
2013 Audi A7 3.0T supercharged
(This post was last modified: 29-08-2012 08:58pm by exigejoe.)
29-08-2012 08:45pm
defender_uk

(25-08-2012 05:58pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  In the latest issue of What Car? magazine here in the UK they have been running an automatic Sd4. In the latest periodical report they are claiming that their gearbox is not living up to expectations and has on occassions left them in a heartstopping moment by not engaging first.................. then taking an age to allow them to pull out of a junction. I wonder if this is the same "turbo lag" as some have reported and my car has suffered from it too but I have adopted a driving style that seems mostly to have got around it. I also wonder if this is one of the things that will be cured with the various software up dates my car is supposed to be getting in a week's tme?

Tim

My dealer flatly refutes that there any software updates....

Defender_uk

Evoque Prestige Lux, OG, maual, style 4 wheels

comes to live with Defender 90 TDCi 07
29-08-2012 08:46pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WB
WB

(29-08-2012 08:46pm)defender_uk Wrote:  Tim

That's interesting - my car (a Nov 2011 SD4) is with LPR for a couple of days sorting warranty issues so I'll call tomorrow to ask if it is due any updates.
29-08-2012 08:49pm
defender_uk

let us know then WB...I will be interested.....

Defender_uk

Evoque Prestige Lux, OG, maual, style 4 wheels

comes to live with Defender 90 TDCi 07
29-08-2012 08:51pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WB
WB

(29-08-2012 08:51pm)defender_uk Wrote:  let us know then WB...I will be interested.....

Just called LPR and was told there aren't any updates due on my car so I guess we'll have to see what happens with Tim's when it's serviced.
30-08-2012 12:42pm
cutter7

Gearbox problems or turbo lag?

(29-08-2012 08:46pm)defender_uk Wrote:  Tim

Had my SD4 Auto serviced 7/8 @ 16k again no software update req'd..

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

30-08-2012 07:58pm
Ranger4

My car's just been at the dealership for a couple of things, the second being the lag from the gearbox when sometimes pulling away at roundabouts or junctions.

They told me that they've loaded on new gearbox software, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't solved the problem. The only thing that's changed slightly, is that the gearbox doesn't change down a gear as often as it used to - (I told them that the gearbox was changing down a gear far too early and not allowing me to use the torque of the engine)

5 door, SD4 Auto, Dynamic LUX, Orkney Grey, Verve Interior, Ebony Headlining, Privacy Glass, Spare Wheel......
(This post was last modified: 30-08-2012 10:20pm by Ranger4.)
30-08-2012 10:16pm
DaveR

Just picked my new Evoque up today, interestingly so far this one does not seem to show the same lag as my other one did so fingers crossed that they have this sorted now.
I'll post back on here in a couple of weeks though after I have run it a bit longer and confirm.
02-09-2012 12:29am
SuH

My 4 month old auto has this problem and have had a few heart stopping moments recently. After only 2 months the turbo gave out and a new one was installed, I was hoping the lag would be improved after this but unfortunately not. This is a dangerous issue I feel and can't believe a car of this quality, and supposed reputation, does this. I will be contacting our service centre this week, with fingers crossed there is a solution. Apart from this, I love it.
08-10-2012 07:15am