Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gearbox problems or turbo lag?
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Gearbox problems or turbo lag?

In the latest issue of What Car? magazine here in the UK they have been running an automatic Sd4. In the latest periodical report they are claiming that their gearbox is not living up to expectations and has on occassions left them in a heartstopping moment by not engaging first.................. then taking an age to allow them to pull out of a junction. I wonder if this is the same "turbo lag" as some have reported and my car has suffered from it too but I have adopted a driving style that seems mostly to have got around it. I also wonder if this is one of the things that will be cured with the various software up dates my car is supposed to be getting in a week's tme?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
25-08-2012 05:58pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DaveR

RE: Gearbox problems or turbo lag?

I hope it is easily fixed as this is my only real gripe with the car.
(This post was last modified: 25-08-2012 06:16pm by DaveR.)
25-08-2012 06:14pm
Deaky

It would be good if there was a fix for this. Thought I was going to die trying to cross a dual carriageway recently. I pressed the throttle and nothing happened, I pressed it a little more and nothing happened, it was almost on the floor before we started to move. It was if the gearbox decided to change up a gear as I wanted to pull off. What ever it was it was a bit scaryShocked
25-08-2012 06:49pm
cjfp

Hmmm, now I know you guys are all auto's, but this has got me thinking about two incidences I've had. Clutch down, into gear, power down, release clutch .... nothing and the clutch pedal felt a bit funny, a bit sticky as if it didn't want to come up ... keep the power on, pump clutch and then all ok. Both times, and as its only happened twice in 8 months, I've put it down to user error but I've no idea what 'user error' I was blaming myself for. The only thought that entered my head each time was that it was something to do with the dpf regen as there was a whiff after each episode.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
(This post was last modified: 25-08-2012 08:35pm by cjfp.)
25-08-2012 07:13pm
XFullFatTim

the whiff could have been burning clutch CJ! I wonder if your Stop/Start system or the turbo are causing the problems. I have noticed that since I have got home the "lag" (be it gear box or turbo) on mine is much worse than I recall it was when I last drove the car 3 months ago. I'll get LPR to have a look when they have the car on their forecourt for a week, the week after next.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 25-08-2012 09:11pm by XFullFatTim.)
25-08-2012 09:10pm
The Valeter

(25-08-2012 05:58pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  In the latest issue of What Car? magazine here in the UK they have been running an automatic Sd4. In the latest periodical report they are claiming that their gearbox is not living up to expectations and has on occassions left them in a heartstopping moment by not engaging first.................. then taking an age to allow them to pull out of a junction. I wonder if this is the same "turbo lag" as some have reported and my car has suffered from it too but I have adopted a driving style that seems mostly to have got around it. I also wonder if this is one of the things that will be cured with the various software up dates my car is supposed to be getting in a week's tme?

Probably the same issue I had on my Freelander & everytime I put it into a dealer was told nothing wrong with it, even LR customer relations had no idea & I began to think it was me until after a year plus of ownership I was speaking to the same guy at LRC Relations that I had spoken to several times before who slipped up or admitted that there is a characteristic when pulling away/changing gear on the manuals.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
25-08-2012 11:04pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim

In LR speak a "characteristic" is usually a problem they (ie the factory/ tech guys) cannot be bothered to fix......................... or have no idea how to fix

25-08-2012 11:09pm
vinda

(25-08-2012 05:58pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  In the latest issue of What Car? magazine here in the UK they have been running an automatic Sd4. In the latest periodical report they are claiming that their gearbox is not living up to expectations and has on occassions left them in a heartstopping moment by not engaging first.................. then taking an age to allow them to pull out of a junction. I wonder if this is the same "turbo lag" as some have reported and my car has suffered from it too but I have adopted a driving style that seems mostly to have got around it. I also wonder if this is one of the things that will be cured with the various software up dates my car is supposed to be getting in a week's tme?

What software update is this. I've got my service in September so want to Ask for it too
25-08-2012 11:55pm
XFullFatTim

I have no idea - when I booked it in the receptionist advised it would be receiving a lot of software upgrades and I asked that ALL software upgrades applicable to the Plus Lux be applied.

(This post was last modified: 26-08-2012 10:19am by XFullFatTim.)
26-08-2012 09:15am
Barneyridge

Maybe it is when they use the paddle shift when not in sport. When I use the paddles to downshift for example coming up to the lights in Drive, the gear box automatically selects 2nd instead of 1st to pull away from standstill.

Pure TD4, Fiji, Auto, Pan Roof + Extras - Delivered Very Happy
26-08-2012 09:42am