Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ford Tansmission? new 8 speed?
BabyRRLover

Ford Tansmission? new 8 speed?

Does anyone know if the Auto 6 speed in the Evoque is the same transmission that sold with the 2.0 ecoboost motor that in every other ford car? I'm trying to find out that information but cant find it on the internet. Ford is suppsed to be developing a new 8 Speed Automatic so if RR uses ford motor and transmission combo there's a chance the Baby RR might be getting an eight speed also.

Mileage is good at 28 mpg however, Chrysler soursed a ZF 8 speed auto for their fullsized sedan line up and are pushing 31 from their V6 setups. I know thats comparing apples and oranges but a 8 speed in the Evoque couldnt hurt it.. I willing to bet it would lower the 0-60 times, improve driveablitly and improve gas mileage.. It wouldnt be a far stretch to say 30-33 MPG highway.
11-01-2012 10:26am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GibEvoque

RE: Ford Tansmission? new 8 speed?

JLR already have an 8speed auto (same ZF unit as in BMW 5 series i believe) with the sd4 engine in the JAG XF se but this is in a longitudinal layout, so i think reason not used in the Evoque must be down to size and packaging.

2012 RRE TD4 Auto Dynamic, Fuji white, Shadow Chrome alloys, Panoramic contrast roof
1983 Mk1 Golf Cabriolet 1.8 Gli - Plaything
2009 Fiat Bravo 1.4 T-jet Dyamic - Gone
1994 306 XSi - Long Gone
1985 Mk2 1.3 Golf CL - First LoveWink
11-01-2012 11:48am
BabyRRLover

(11-01-2012 11:48am)GibEvoque Wrote:  JLR already have an 8speed auto (same ZF unit as in BMW 5 series i believe) with the sd4 engine in the JAG XF se but this is in a longitudinal layout, so i think reason not used in the Evoque must be down to size and packaging.

Yea that's what I ran into with the research. Thats why I was wondering if the transmission in the evoque was sourced from Ford or JLR because if it was sourced from form it could be replaced by a 8 speed from Ford... Guess we'll have to wait and see.. hope Ford gets it right either way.
11-01-2012 03:42pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The eight speed was also supposed to be going into 2012MY Freelander2's when I left the UK and that is the same engine and transverse mounting as the Evoque

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
11-01-2012 04:40pm
slee18

the manufacture is Aisin(partnered with Borg-Warner), they are the largest manufacture of transmission in the world. I drove the audi Q5 & BMW X3. Both had 8-speeds but were horrible to drive. Reviewers say that our has a transmission cant make up a decision!!!

X3 was the worst transmission ever, i think it was programmed to save on gas because if you little gas thing didnt want to go. Q5 was constantly shifting in city driving had to leave it in a sport mode for it to be drivable.

If it was V-6 I would say yes 8-speed needs more power when in certain gears.
11-01-2012 11:24pm