Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Plasti dipping parts?
mklam90

RE: Plasti dipping parts?

Hey guys, so today I started working on the car mirrors. The finished result didn't look as good as I was hoping for, so I removed it. I had a hard time cleaning off the excess spray that got on the body, there were some scratch marks on the mirror housing from the scrubbing as well Sad Maybe I just don't have the skills for it. Will post some pics a bit later

TD4 Fuji Pure, pano, contrast roof, tech, clear view, powered tailgate, style 6.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2013 07:28am by mklam90.)
04-05-2013 07:27am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mklam90

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24014084@N02/

TD4 Fuji Pure, pano, contrast roof, tech, clear view, powered tailgate, style 6.
04-05-2013 09:04am
doug

mklam90,
Shocked looks like held the can too close & too long over the mirror cap.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
04-05-2013 12:47pm
mklam90

(04-05-2013 12:47pm)doug Wrote:  mklam90,
Shocked looks like held the can too close & too long over the mirror cap.

Yea, I think so too, I haven't done this before so...I'll practise more and try again

04-05-2013 01:00pm
superfox

Why didn't you remove the mirror caps . . . Shocked

FOX Rolling Eyes

Drive: 4 WHL R/H FULL TIME DRIVE CAB style: 3 DOOR Series: 2.0 GTDIS PETROL 3DR SERIES Transmission: 6 SPD AUTO TRANS AWF21AWD Engine: 2.0L 16V TIVCT T/C 240PS GAS Colour:SUMATRA BLACK Trim:SATIN BRUSHED METAL
04-05-2013 01:08pm
Crimdog

Did you watch some of the YouTube clips on how to do it? Looks pretty easy to remove and not meant to leave any sign that it was there in the first place. Not the case for you? I want to do this with my car when I get it, so I appreciate hopefully learning from your mistakes! Haha Smile
04-05-2013 01:09pm
mklam90

(04-05-2013 01:08pm)superfox Wrote:  Why didn't you remove the mirror caps . . . Shocked

I didn't want to remove the mirror cap, that's why I chose to plasti dip it, thinking it can be removed easily just as on youtube. Otherwise I would have permanently spray paint it. But now looks like I might just do that, for the grille and side vents as well. I'll try to plasti dip again on the lettering, it it turns out ok I'll give it another go.
(04-05-2013 01:09pm)Crimdog Wrote:  Did you watch some of the YouTube clips on how to do it? Looks pretty easy to remove and not meant to leave any sign that it was there in the first place. Not the case for you? I want to do this with my car when I get it, so I appreciate hopefully learning from your mistakes! Haha Smile

Removing was easy, though I recommend if you choose to plasti dip, spray the surface with a pre-dip liquid. I didn't do it so after I removed it, it didn't really comes all off. I had to scrub the residuals out, and that's how I got small scratch marks Sad

Oh and use clay bar to clean the excess spray off, it's suppose to be much easier

(This post was last modified: 04-05-2013 01:46pm by mklam90.)
04-05-2013 01:41pm
speary

(04-05-2013 09:04am)mklam90 Wrote:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/24014084@N02/

What a mess. Dont give up your day job Shocked

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
07-05-2013 08:33am
dynamicgirl

I used Plastidip on a few different parts of my last car (rear diffuser, front splitter and badges) and the method I've found best for applying the spray is when you do the first coat, hold the can about 15" away from the surface and give it a very light 'misting coat'. This gives the subsequent coats something to adhere to. Leave it for at least 30 minutes inbetween coats to let it dry and apply another couple of coats. Make sure to shake the can really well before use and inbetween coats and when spraying, don't hold the can still at any point or you will get runs.

If you want a glossy finish you will need to buy their Glossifier, but unfortunately in the UK it doesn't come in a spray can, only in a normal paint tin. You can purchase one of their spray bottles to put it in and then apply over the matte Plastidip, but as has already been said, it's not so easy to remove when the glossifier coat has been applied.

It is very versatile stuff and highly durable, it doesn't attract stone chips like normal paint and it easily withstands powerwasher use. Smile
14-05-2013 11:19am
holeecow

We just dipped another one of our cars. The guy noticed the best way to apply was to do a lot of very light coats.
Going to do my winter rims when I get them.
Nice rims mklam90!
18-03-2014 11:26pm